Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

2006 Preview - Milwaukee Brewers

2005 Record: 81-81, 3rd in NL Central

You could almost go back and reread my preview on Cleveland, substitute a few names and have an outlook for the 2006 Brewers. Both teams are coming off seasons in which they improved by a whopping 13 games in the win column, both have some exciting young talent, and both teams are thinking playoffs in 2006.

The young talent is getting a big chunk of the preseason publicity. Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks, counted on to man the right side of the infield in Milwaukee, have incredible upside. Weeks combines power and speed while the 250+ pound Fielder is a huge power threat just like his dad, Cecil. Both should eventually be excellent players. But expecting the sky from them in Season 1 might be asking too much.

The left side of the diamond finds young JJ Hardy at short and several candidates for third. Hardy struggled early on in 2005 but started to put it together after the midseason break. Since he will likely be hitting at the bottom of the lineup, less pressure will be on him than Weeks or Fielder. That trio --- Hardy, Weeks and Fielder --- average 22-years-old entering this season.

Corey Koskie has the 3B job to lose this spring after coming over from Toronto in a trade this winter. He’s somewhat of an injury risk, but the Brewers have excellent backup plans with Bill Hall and Jeff Cirillo also on the roster. Hall figures to play all over the diamond again, with Cirillo likely backing up both infield corners.

With all of the buildup surrounding Fielder and Weeks, Milwaukee’s strong outfield is almost forgotten. Brady Clark mans center after a .183-hit season in 2005. Left fielder Carlos Lee banged 32 HR and drove in 114 last year while right fielder Geoff Jenkins added a .292 average and 25 bombs. Corey Hart enters camp as the #4 outfielder and could even see some time at first, especially if Fielder gets off to a slow start and is sent down. Gabe Gross, who came to Milwaukee in the Lyle Overbay-Toronto deal, is another possibility for a backup slot, especially now that Dave Krynzel had offseason surgery and could miss all of spring training. Another interesting name to note is Nelson Cruz who is ready defensively and has the potential for MLB pop.

Damian Miller was brought in before 2005 to give the Brewers a veteran catcher and work with some of the young arms. Though unspectacular offensively, he is steady. Chad Moeller returns as the #2 backstop.

The mound corps begins with Ben Sheets who missed 10-12 starts in 2005 due to an ear infection and upper back trouble. If Milwaukee is going to make the next step, they will need 200 innings from Big Ben in 2006. Southpaws Doug Davis and Chris Capuano were the biggest reasons the Brewers made it back to .500 in 2005. Davis looks like one of those late-bloomers who could get even better the next few years after honing a nice assortment of pitches. Capuano was a roller coaster ride, looking like a Cy Young candidate against some of the NL bottom feeders and then totally lost against some of the top-tier squads. I look for Davis to be better in 2006 while Capuano might be hard-pressed to repeat his 18 wins, unless he cuts some of his free passes.

The last two slots in the pitching order come down to Tomo Ohka, Rick Helling and David Bush, another part of the Overbay deal. Helling is coming off a decent showing in 2005 when he made seven starts and eight relief appearances while posting a 2.39 ERA. Ohka is capable of 200 IP with run-of-the-mill stuff. Bush will probably have to pitch well this spring and hope Ohka or Helling doesn’t in order to win a starter’s job.

Derrick Turnbow returns with the closer’s job safely his. With a blistering fastball, he stands a good chance to be the first 30+ save repeater for Milwaukee since Dan Plesac in 1988-89. A setup-by-committee scheme could be the eventual decision by manager Ned Yost and pitching coach Mike Maddux. Dan Kolb, the club’s closer in 2004, returns and could be in line for a strong comeback season after failing miserably as Atlanta’s closer in 2005. Matt Wise, a threat for the DL, is a righty who has really shown a penchant for neutralizing left-handed hitters. Jose Capellan is a guy I really like as the arm that could eventually prove to be the #1 setup in front of Turnbow. Mike Adams is also being counted on for a middle or setup role, assuming he is healthy after having shoulder and oblique troubles in 2005 when he entered the season as the club’s closer.

Dana Eveland and Jason Kershner are the top two candidates for the lefty relief slot.

One reason the Brewers were able to claw back to .500 in 2005 for the first time since a 92-win season way back in 1992 was their ability to beat the Cubs, Reds and Pirates rather handily. All three of those squads finished below Milwaukee in the NL Central. The Brewers did not fare as well against the two teams above them, St. Louis and Houston. An early barometer for their season comes in the second week of the campaign when they sandwich 3-game sets on the road against the Cardinals and Astros around a 3-game set in New York against the Mets. While it will still be very early in the season, that 9-game set against those three preseason playoff contenders could really set the tone for Milwaukee’s 2006 hopes.

Key Performer(s): Davis and Capuano have to back Sheets atop the rotation, and the rookies on the right side of the infield have to live up to at least some of the hype.

Camp Question(s): Solving a bit of a logjam at third, settling on the back end of the rotation and getting Kolb into solid setup shape.

My Play: The Brewers may have overachieved a bit in 2005, so look for another low-80s win season this time. My math right now says 84 wins making them a nice pick for the o81½ at Pinnacle right now.
    Last edited by Willie Bee; 03-06-06 at 11:16 AM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

this team is really hopping under ned yost. he has them team really believing in themselves nowadays.

they good rotation, but a questionable bullpen imo

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

They are my surprise team for 2006 I really think they will give the Cardinals a run for their money. At the very least I think they can get the wild card.

Willie Bee

The Greek lists their break at 81½ ... o(-120) and u(+100).

Pinnacle moved up a hook to 82 ... o(-110) and u(-106).

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

that 82 seems about right.

as double B mentioned earlier. he might be right, this team could make a big impact in the NL central this year.

Willie Bee

Current record 27-31

My Play: The Brewers may have overachieved a bit in 2005, so look for another low-80s win season this time. My math right now says 84 wins making them a nice pick for the o81½ at Pinnacle right now.
    One of the bigger disappointments in the majors this season, there were many who picked the Brewers to give the Cardinals a run for their money in the NL Central only to see the team currently on pace for about 76 wins.

Look no further than pitching and defense as the reasons why Milwaukee is going backwards so far in 2006 instead of forward in the standings.

The pitching staff is dead last in the NL with a 5.27 ERA and the starters are primarily to blame. Chris Capuano has been ok, but that's about it as Doug Davis has taken a giant step back and David Bush has not moved up to the next level as many, myself included, thought he might. Not having ace Ben Sheets has definitely hurt, and getting him back in the next couple of weeks or so should help, but only if they can keep him in the rotation for the rest of the year. Milwaukee has already used nine different starting pitchers this season, and when at least 40% of the group is moving in and out of the mix, it's hard for the entire staff to reach any level of consistency.

In the bullpen, Matt Wise and Dan Kolb haven't been too bad, though they haven't been necessarily lights out either. Chinks in closer Derrick Turnbow's armor have also surfaced, and nobody else in the reliever corps is stepping up.

The Brewers lead the NL with 79 HR and a .457 team slugging mark. But that hasn't translated into a lot of runs as the team ranks eighth in runs scored. Rookie Prince Fielder has a hole in his swing with 51 whiffs in 57 games, but he's also managed to hit over .300 with nine homers. Carlos Lee leads the squad with 19 HR and 45 RBI. And Bill Hall, who is playing more shortstop now with JJ Hardy disabled, has 12. Rickie Weeks has scored 43 times and is on pace for a 30-SB campaign.

Weeks is also on pace for 50+ errors at second base, and a big reason why the team is averaging about an error per game and more than half an unearned run allowed per contest.

After winning their first five games this season the Brewers just ended an 8-game losing streak last night. They have the Padres for three more this week before the Cardinals come to town over the weekend. Series in Cincinnati and at home against the Indians and Tigers follow. Milwaukee will get the Reds once more and the Cubs twice after that. There is certainly time to turn things back around and finish over .500 for the first time since '92. But if they don't get going soon, and can't keep Sheets in the rotation, it's beginning to look like a return to normalcy for the Brewers in 2006 after things looked so promising before the season began.

rolemand
    rolemand's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think it's also worth mentioning that C Damien Miller has been hurt quite a bit and they are better with him in the lineup.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

they won last night....

rolemand
    rolemand's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rolemand
    I think it's also worth mentioning that C Damien Miller has been hurt quite a bit and they are better with him in the lineup.

Thought I'd better back up my statement with some facts

Miller in lineup 22-21
    Not in line up 5-10