bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yankees apologize to fans for missing WBC stars

TAMPA, Fla. -- Even before a pitch was thrown Saturday, the New York Yankees apologized to their fans.

The Yankees displayed a sign by the customer service booth on the main concourse, explaining it wasn't their fault Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Johnny Damon and Bernie Williams had departed for the World Baseball Classic.

"Thank you for expressing your concerns," the sign stated. "We are sorry that certain players will not be present for portions of spring training. These players have elected to participate in the World Baseball Classic. The World Baseball Classic is an event sanctioned by the commissioner of Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association. The New York Yankees did not vote to support this event. Any comments you have regarding the World Baseball Classic should be directed to the commissioner of Major League Baseball or the Major League Baseball Players Association."

The Yankees lost to the Cincinnati Reds, dropping to 0-3 during spring training.

New York abstained when baseball owners approved the World Cup in August 2004 at the urging of baseball commissioner Bud Selig.

"We don't like it that well," Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said when spring training began. "If a player gets hurt, he's risking a lot. But it was Selig's idea and he wants to do it, so I suppose we're going to do it."

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

After only being able to see half the title from the forum overview, I thought for a minute that the Yankees would be apologizing for their dire performance in last year's post-season.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax
    After only being able to see half the title from the forum overview, I thought for a minute that the Yankees would be apologizing for their dire performance in last year's post-season.
    They should taco, lol.