dave11486
    dave11486's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 777

Entered A Baseball Fantasy League, But Need Some Help

I am at a loss, for those who know their MLB give me a shout with your ideas.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

unfortunately i don't play fantasy, but looker and DM play it so they should be the ones to better answer this question/questions.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I haven't played in years. onlooker should be able to help you out since he plays every year.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

You want to draft the short positions first, meaning the positions that have less talented players. Like Closers , 3rd Base, and 2nd Base. Also try to get players that can fill multiple positions. That always helps out in the long run.

I like to draft 5 solid closers then start drafting starting pitchers. You can always trade a closer for a good starter if need be later.

I play about 3 teams on ESPN, and thinking about doing a SBR league through ESPN or Yahoo. Depending on where people on here would want to play.

dave11486
    dave11486's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 777

Thanks a lot, do u have any specific players that stand out to you that could be good value looker?

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Los mejores de los hombres se llaman Rodriguez, Pujols, Martinez, Santana, Cabrera, Tejada, Hernandez, Lopez, Guerrero, Ramirez, Zambrano, Molina, Delgado, Reyes, Cantu, Soriano y Gonzalez

newb411breaker19
    newb411breaker19's Avatar Become A Pro!

kameron lowe I think will have a very good season

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Along the same lines as what Onlooker said, the converse of that is that if you miss out on the top of the short positions, forget about them for a while. For instance, as far as a position like Catcher is concerned, if you don't get the top 3 or 4, forget it. The difference between the rest isn't worth spending a higher draft pick on. There's probably another 10 guys that are going to give you comparable numbers.

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Also, my long-held belief is that the league is won at the end of the draft, not the beginning. Any monkey can take Pujols or A-Rod. It's your 20th-25th guys that will make the difference.

Look for guys that had off years last year and will be overlooked by a lot of other managers. Look for guys that will see more playing time in a new situation, or guys who will have more protection around them in the lineup.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

whos gonna be the sleepers this year looker ?

maritime
    maritime's Avatar Become A Pro!

if you guys are serious fantasy players, check out cdmsports.com
    they have good leagues with good $$$ prizes

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

To tell you the truth Dan, I havent even started looking into the fantasy scene yet, but getting geared up to. I will have to scan through the rankings and check out past drafts to see how people are selecting players. In other words, no I havent did my homework on it yet.

presley177
    presley177's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    whos gonna be the sleepers this year looker ?
    you didn't ask me but i'm sure you don't mind me giving my .02 cents. These players all have really good value.

****-Left-handed starter Pedro Liriano for the Twins.(unfortunately)

RP. Chad Orvella for the D-Rays(should be their closer. not a huge name but 20 saves is 20 saves...especially in deep leagues)
    Eric Bedard LHP Orioles, Jose Contreras(I know won't be a popular pick from many but I personally think he's turned the corner),
    Aubrey Huff 3b. D-Rays(for the fact he's moving back to 3b),
    SP. Felix Hernandez Mariners(best stuff in the majors),
    Bobby Jenks RP. White Sox,
    Magglio Ordonez RF. Tigers,
    Ryan Zimmerman 3b. Nationals,
    Tadahito Iguchi 2b. White Sox(moving down to 6th in the batting order and will be trying to drive runs in instead of moving runners over),
    C. Joe Maur Twins(hurt a lot last year, should have a big season,
    LHP. Andy Sisco Royals(imo great later pick in deeper leagues),
    CF. Coco Crisp Boston(no way he scores less than 100 runs),
    1b. Adam Laroche Braves,
    2b. Ricky Weeks Brewers,
    3b/OF Russel Branyan Devil Rays(worth a last round waiver pick),
    OF. Jeremy Hermida Marlins(imo he'll win rookie of the year. great tools. should have good numbers)
    SS. Clint Barmes Rockies(should've been rookie of the year last year but fell down some stairs half way through the season)
    1b. J. Morneau Twins(last year was a fluke. kid has massive power potential)
    1b. Ryan Howard Phillies(everyone knows about him..but he'll hit 40+ homeruns)
    SP. Kyle Davis Braves
    SP. S. Chacon Yankees
    SS. Hanley Ramirez Marlins(worth watching during spring training)
    3b/2b- Mike Lowell Boston
    RHP. Zach Duke Pirates(great when called up last year)
    1b. Prince Fielder(28+ homeruns, 90 rbis, .250+ average)
    RP. Carlos Silva Twins
    RP. Kevin Millwood Rangers
    RP. Chris Young Padres(really really like him)
    RP. M. Cain Giants(worth late round waiver, watch in ST)
    SP. Ted Lilly Blue Jays( will finally get some run support)