20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

Handicapping Umpires

This year I've started recording who the empire was (plate) and been checking with the over unders. I was hoping there would be some correlation to the totals.

I know most umps only have 4 or so games in but find it amazing that someone like Randy Marsh is 0 4 O/U with an average of 6.75 runs per game and guys like Jeff Kellogg and Mike winters are way up on the overs, with both averaging around 11.5 runs/game.

Has anyone done any serious studies as to umpire and totals? It makes some sense as certain umps have a very loose strike zone and others are really tight.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36809

I think a better comparison is using the umps runs per game compared to the actual closing O/U for the game.

Arnold
    Arnold's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's all random, don't waste your time.

Might as well record the O/U records of Mondays, Tuesdays, etc.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36809

I don't know if i'd go that far when a guy like Hirschbeck from 1999-2007 came in at 59% on the unders or Ed Rapuano just under that percentage over the last 5 years.

However saying that, there aren't a lot of umps with long term trends like that, and those that have them, the value has long been seeped out of them.

Meestermike
    Meestermike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

Here is an attachment for 2008 Umpire stats
    Attached Files

chipski
    chipski's Avatar Become A Pro!

the home plate umpire in the As at BJays was a dirty or tipsy , most likely dirty . factually I know this .