mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rich Hill removed from the rotation?

- Cubs starter Rich Hill's three poor innings and reliever Jon Lieber's 4 1/3 scoreless innings Thursday against the Pittsburgh Pirates might be raising ideas about how to fix what's wrong with the pitching staff.

''We've got to get that straightened out,'' manager Lou Piniella said of Hill's problems, which go back to the start of spring training.

Asked whether he might take Hill out of the rotation to let him work out his issues, given a wealth of starting depth in Lieber and Sean Marshall, Piniella suggested that would be an option.

''I'm going to sit down and talk to our pitching coach about that,'' Piniella said. ''I want what's best for Hill. We've got to get him straightened out. That's the important thing.''

One option would be for Hill to go to the bullpen, trading places with Lieber, who just missed earning a spot in the rotation after a strong spring and has yet to allow an earned run in three outings, spanning 9 1/3 innings.

Handed a 1-0 lead before he took the mound, Hill immediately put the Cubs in a 3-1 hole by allowing the first four Pirates to reach base, including back-to-back walks to the Nos. 3 and 4 hitters. By the time he finished the next two innings, he had thrown 72 pitches and was done.

''In the first inning, he was aiming the ball,'' Piniella said. ''I asked him after the end of the first inning to go out there and cut it loose and throw the darn thing, and he was a little better. But he was already at 75 pitches, and he was all over the place with the ball.

''There was no sense keeping him in there. He wasn't going to get better. Not tonight, anyway.''

Hill said he knew the overtaxed bullpen needed a lengthy start from him, but he didn't feel he pressed because of that and didn't seem concerned about the results.

''That's no indication of who I am as a pitcher,'' he said, ''but just something that I've got to go through. It's over with, and I'm looking forward to the next start.

''I'm not by any means worried about it. I've just got to go out there again and put it behind me and look forward to the next outing.''
    article

5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Nah..... Wont happen, Hill will stay in the rotation. Marquis is the one that is on thin ice right now

MadCapper
    MadCapper's Avatar Become A Pro!

hill has been bad since the 2nd half of last yr

thegreatdiatchi
    thegreatdiatchi's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think there are so many young pitchers right now who are sitting on the fence between breaking out and becoming a star or becoming a complete flop. Besides Zambo who actually wasn't a flop or injury riddled (I consider Wood & Prior flops due to their injuries)?

mofome

hill is a tad overrated and older than mark prior.

willyback
    willyback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by MadCapper View Post
    hill has been bad since the 2nd half of last yr
    True.

mofome

The Chicago Sun-Times reports that Rich Hill has been "demoted" to the Cubs' fifth starter, and that the team will skip the spot as off days allow.
    overrated SP, but i cant believe Lou seems to have some personal grudge against the guy.