rthoughton
    rthoughton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2101

Edinson Volquez, Oh ya, I forgot about that guy.

Something was overlooked when assessing the NL Central. I forgot about one major name who may seriously influence the winner of that division.
    Edinson Volquez is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery and according to some journalists reporting on the Reds’ organization, he has absolutely wowed spectators.
    We should expect to see Volquez rejoin the Reds’ rotation in the next five days or so, taking the ball for the first time in almost a year. He has been absolutely dominant in his rehab assignment, going 4-0 with a 1.45 ERA for the Single A and Triple A affiliate. He pitched seven innings of shutout ball in his final start for Louisville. The Reds considered giving him the start in the final game before the all-star break, but as Dusty Baker put it, they’d “rather have him over-ready than under-ready.”
    The Reds’ players consider Edinson Volquez to be a “borderline ace,” and that kind of praise and confidence can only lead to further success on the field. The Reds have a slim lead in the NL Central going into the second half over the Cardinals, who are still the favorites in many people’s minds to repeat as Central winners; but with the weakest schedule in the majors the rest of the way, loaded with games against the lowly Pirates, Brewers, Astros, and Cubs (more than 50% however are on the road) and the addition of this “borderline ace, the Reds should be able to compete all the way until the end of the regular season. Now if only they can get something out of Aroldis Chapman.

In Volquez’s first season with the Redlegs, he went 17-6 with a 3.21 ERA, and anything near those numbers will for sure be a welcome addition to the over-performing pitching staff already assembled in the Queen City. His arm strength at this point in his recovery has been described as “impressive,” but according to other reports, his overall stuff may be even better. He hit 97 mph numerous times during his rehab assignments in the minors. (which is not really all that surprising, as many pitchers receive a bump in velocity after going under the knife for this miracle surgery innovation.) According to Dr. Kremchek, who performed the surgery, there is nothing in a ligament replacement surgery that would create more velocity, but there is something that allows the players to rehab harder, get stronger, and feel more confident. He also says that a lot of pitchers who have this surgery throw harder but lose control, but not Volquez. He has found more of the plate than he had before.

I have been going on and on about how no team currently leading a division in the National League will make the playoffs. I love what the Phils have done considering their injury woes, I like the Rockies and the Dodgers to make the playoffs (again), and I still think the Cardinals are the team to beat in the Central, but if Volquez returns to any similar form from the 08 campaign and they can find a bullpen spot for that nasty 100mph lefty flame thrower Chapman, the Reds may very well be that division leader to hang on.

chibears
    chibears's Avatar Become A Pro!

he used to be good for about a year