joe blow
    joe blow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 99

Phillies star Utley has thumb surgery, out until September

Utley isn't expected to return until the September stretch drive, or longer than the Phillies had hoped.
    "Yeah, this hurts," Philadelphia manager Charlie Manuel said Thursday.
    The operation was performed Thursday in New York, three days after one of the majors' best all-around infielders was injured trying to stretch a single into a double. He was put on the disabled list Tuesday with a sprained ligament, and doctors later determined part of the ligament was detached from a bone.
    "They reattached that -- I would call that severe," Phillies athletic trainer Scott Sheridan said.
    The 31-year-old Utley must wear a splint on the thumb for five weeks before he begins rehabilitation. Utley and the Phillies will get a better idea exactly how long he will be sidelined once the stitches are removed from the thumb.
    "Can we get through it? Yeah, we can get through it," Manuel said. "I'm going to put it to you like this: We're going to get through it. I look at our team and what I preach is we've got to play. I don't give a damn who we play with, we've got to come here to win."
    The Phillies also will be without third baseman Placido Polanco for about a month with an inflamed left elbow, although of the two doctors who examined him determined surgery was necessary. Polanco has been bothered by the injury since April 21, and the team determined a lengthy shutdown was needed for the injury to heal.
    "He's had rest in the past, and obviously it wasn't enough," Sheridan said.

Now the NL east will go down to the wire
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-11-14 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Link Not Working - Removed-)

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Huge blow to that lineup

Doug
    Doug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1298

That sucks !

I like him as a player.

hope he comes back strong.

mvp123
    mvp123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5039

he is the best player on that team bar none

Jasonal_98
    Jasonal_98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 237

It is going to be tough for the Phillies to hang in there with the Braves and Mets much better than expected.

raiders32
    raiders32's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Phillies are gonna struggle with Utley.