mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rays agree with Pena; Tigers give Cab a raise

Rays agreed to terms with first baseman Carlos Pena on a three-year, $24.125 million contract.

Pena will donate $225,000 to the Rays Baseball Foundation as part of the deal, which covers him through age 32. It's an acceptable risk for Tampa Bay. Pena is highly unlikely to ever match his 2007 numbers, but he was decent enough to start in the majors even when he was stuck in Triple-A with the Tigers and Yankees.

Tigers agreed to terms with third baseman Miguel Cabrera on a one-year, $11.3 million contract.

Cabrera gets a $3.9 million raise. It's believed the Tigers did discuss a long-term deal with him. Cabrera will be under control for one more year in 2009 before he's eligible for free agency. If the Tigers wait until next year to sign him, it'd probably take one of the biggest deals ever to lock him

rays2009
    rays2009's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love the Avatar Mofome. Like I said in another thread the Rays see the window of opportunity will be approaching soon. They are willing to intelligently spend or trade prospects fill holes on the ML roster.

The success of baseball in recent years allowing 5th year starting pitchers to receive 10 million dollar per year deals. It will be interesting to see the contracts Johan Santana and Miguel Cabrera demand over the next couple seasons.

suedon70
    suedon70's Avatar Become A Pro!

I follow the Rays pretty closely, so I'm pretty happy about this - gotta lock up the better players before they take off to NY or Boston!!!

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Boom, back on the Rays

17 dongers...

In 2012...

- C. Pena homered to deep center

8-0 Rays...