ChileCheese
    ChileCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 256

Theoretical Question - Opinions Needed!!!!

Hey SBR betters. Hope all is going well for you tonight and this MLB Season.

So I need some help solving a debate. Here it is.

Person A says if a small market team is doing well (ie. KC, TOR, FLA, MIL, OAK, CLE, PIT, CIN, ect....) and has a chance to make a playoff push, they should make a Mid Season trade if possible. Examples include CC to Milwaukee, Bay to Boston, and Holliday to St Louis in previous years.

Person B cites the Toronto Blue Jays as perfect example of where this is not possible. Why do you ask does Person B state the Blue Jays cant pull of a mid season trade??? Well, because a player of Bay's or Holliday's stature, would never accept a trade to a team like Toronto.

Person A states that is rediculous statement and false because players have no control over trades (unless dictated in their contract). So had JP Riciardi pulled the trigger last year or the year before, he could have had Bay or Holliday. Person B stands by their conviction that All Star caliber players will outright refuse coming to shitty-mid market-destined to fail teams.

So who is correct? Person A, with their stances players go where they are traded because of what package is offered, or is Person B correct, and the player has all the control in the decision?????
    Last edited by ChileCheese; 06-23-10 at 08:43 PM.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

1st) a Player doesn't have right to refuse a trade unless he has a clause in his contract is has 10/5 status

2nd) Why would a player refuse to go to a team he was traded too, it would be and absolutely horrible choice by the player that would cost him millions of Dollars - not only would he forfeit any pay he was due by not reporting; he would also cost him a massive portion of any future deals

3rd) Why would any team 'destine' to fail give away prospects to get a player? Only teams in competition would trade for a player.

Jon Q Phenomenon
    Jon Q Phenomenon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Interesting question so I'll bite....and I'll keep it simple....baseball is a business, just like any other sport. If the time is right and the club wants to dump you, they will, so long as the price is right and it makes good business sense....the only time a player might have any leverage is if they are extremely high profile, vocal, and have any type of leverage as a true star, (read as top, top tier guys) Ultimately man I think it depends on the player, how badly they want to win and if they they think the club they are going to has a legitimate shot at winning something....and this is only if they are the type of player to transcend business decisions , i.e. face of the organization, etc....

i guess what I'm trying to say is that just like in our everyday jobs, those who sign the check, have the power, put 100 units on that one homie

that's my 2 pennies anyways

ChileCheese
    ChileCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 256

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    1st) a Player doesn't have right to refuse a trade unless he has a clause in his contract is has 10/5 status

2nd) Why would a player refuse to go to a team he was traded too, it would be and absolutely horrible choice by the player that would cost him millions of Dollars - not only would he forfeit any pay he was due by not reporting; he would also cost him a massive portion of any future deals

3rd) Why would any team 'destine' to fail give away prospects to get a player? Only teams in competition would trade for a player.
    Good point about the 10/5 rule. Something to keep in mind.

rob11234
    rob11234's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

With the possible exception of Adrián González last year, most players would love to be traded from a team that is not in contention to a team that is in contention. However, as gryfyn1 wrote, unless he has a clause in his contract or 10/5 status, what the player wants doesn't really matter.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Q Phenomenon View Post
    the only time a player might have any leverage is if they are extremely high profile, vocal, and have any type of leverage as a true star, (read as top, top tier guys) Ultimately man I think it depends on the player, how badly they want to win and if they they think the club they are going to has a legitimate shot at winning something....
    I agree with this. Plus, why would a team want to trade for a player if him/his agent are vocal about not wanting to play for the team? Doesn't make practical business sense.

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

sad to say but person B