5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Jose Reyes or Hanley Ramirez??

Me and my buddy got into this topic tonight at the bar... Who would you rather have as your starting ss Hanley Ramirez or Jose Reyes?

mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

hanley.

5 star bomb

I disagree. Its a very hard topic but give me Jose Reyes please

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by 5 star bomb View Post
    I disagree. Its a very hard topic but give me Jose Reyes please

id prefer to have the player thats better at baseball. to each their own.

5 star bomb

Quote Originally Posted by mofome View Post
    id prefer to have the player thats better at baseball. to each their own.

I think Jose Reyes is a much bigger threat. He is better defensively, he is better base runner, he doesnt have the power but hes a triple machine and is a huge spark to the top of any lineup. I think hes the ultimate leadoff hitter

mofome

I think Jose Reyes is a much bigger threat. He is better defensively, he is better base runner, he doesnt have the power but hes a triple machine and is a huge spark to the top of any lineup. I think hes the ultimate leadoff hitter

3B machine? lets see. hanley hit 6 less triples, 17 more hrs, and 12 more doubles. hanley crushes reyes in extra base hits in a harder park to hit in, with Much less of a lineup around him. what makes reyes a better base runner? he had about about the same sb% and less runs. hanley also had a Much better ba.
    so, same sb %, many more hits, more runs, many more extra base hits, and all in a worse lineup with over 40 less ABs.

hanley for me please.

Thremp
    Thremp's Avatar Become A Pro!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...php?cid=204031

Feel free to use their predictions also.

Mofome is clearly correct (Using the worst possible evidence) and 5 star bomb posted a lolz thread.

Oh, and here's 06.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...php?cid=100435

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by Thremp View Post

Mofome is clearly correct (Using the worst possible evidence) and 5 star bomb posted a lolz thread.

Oh, and here's 06.

worst possible? you can link prospectus all you like, i was replying to what the man said. he talked triples, i talked about those 'results/stats'. yeah, you dont think they matter, fine. no need to take a shot with each of your posts. it gets old.

Thremp

There is a ~20-27 run difference in fielding ability between the two, but if you take the fact that Hanley is younger and much more likely to improve on this facet of his game... You start to close the gap. (His EqA also raped Reyes last year, who was significantly worse than Jeter offensively last year)

5 star bomb

Oh, and here's 06.

Dude im not only looking at projections? In fact im not looking at projections at all. If I was to start a team I would want Reyes over Hanley as my starting SS. Thats all im saying, I think hes the perfect leadoff hitter and is a lot better defensively.

Thremp

mofome,

Just because he uses terrible analysis doesn't mean you need to fall into that trap as well. You mention runs which is a poor stat. The line-up thing is immaterial. Also stolen base numbers are typically around breakeven for most players. Even the best base stealers such as Raines or Henderson don't contribute a huge amount of run expectancy when they swipe a bag.

You do make a good point with your extra base hits including a park adjustment. Since HanRam knocks the cover off the ball compared to Reyes.

Thremp

By perfect... You mean inferior? Since there is really no other way to describe his hitting compared to HanRam's. Especially if looking at last year's numbers.

mofome

mofome,

Just because he uses terrible analysis doesn't mean you need to fall into that trap as well. You mention runs which is a poor stat. The line-up thing is immaterial. Also stolen base numbers are typically around breakeven for most players. Even the best base stealers such as Raines or Henderson don't contribute a huge amount of run expectancy when they swipe a bag.

You do make a good point with your extra base hits including a park adjustment. Since HanRam knocks the cover off the ball compared to Reyes.

i dont care much at all about 'runs', i just threw it out because 5 star mentioned that reyes was a better base runner. its not much of an indicator, but i think having more runs, in a lesser lineup, with less abs, helps to disprove his point a bit. maybe you dont, just tell me why. i want to know more and get better, not find myself in a discussion with someone who may have a ton to offer, but talks down to me every time we're in the same thread. you can obviously do that if you like, but it takes away from your ability to actually help and allow others to see your points. im looking over your prospectus stuff now and im enjoying it, it seems like it would be simple to just make your points, share your thoughts, and then leave it on me to either be bright enough to look into it, or ignorant enough to ignore it. you know your baseball, id love to be able to see things from your views and adjust over time and see what works best for me. ive spent my time on eog where ive never read anyone talk about these specific averages; just point me in the direction that you think is best, and i'll look. i want to win everything i do, i respect and crave knowledge about the game, its just hard to understand why you seem to take a shot with your replies so frequently. i love sarcasm more than most, but sometimes it can defeat production. i realize that you dont feel that you can gain from either of us, but i dont feel that way about myself, and i appreciate as many angles and as much info as i can get. ive got your link bookmarked.

ty.

mofome

Dude im not only looking at projections? In fact im not looking at projections at all. If I was to start a team I would want Reyes over Hanley as my starting SS. Thats all im saying, I think hes the perfect leadoff hitter and is a lot better defensively.

if i was starting a team today, i would start it with Hanley. If i could pick any player in the league, Hanley would be my selection. Miguel cab wouldnt be far behind. i said last year that i would take the marlins 2b/3b combo over the yanks. two the most exciting talents in the league.

you're a winning baseball capper. i cant wait for the season and see what you bring in 08!

Thremp

We've gone over this in a previous thread. BA/runs/doubles/etc are all really bad stats to compare players. OBP/SLG is a step up... Then you can move beyond that into things like EqA, wOBA, linear weights. To comprise the defensive side there UZR, Zone Ratings, the terrible stuff BP uses, and other things I'm sure I'm missing.

Then you can look at some summation stats win shares, win shares above bench, VORP, WARP1, WARP3, blah blah blah and it just gets bigger and bigger from there.

I'd suggest peeking around at baseballprospectus.com and hardballtimes.com and maybe picking up some of the books on the subject if you're really into it. You'll quickly understand that someone who is analyzing players based on BA and HRs really has no clue what they are talking about (Take a look at Joe Morgan's career stats. Why is a hitter that "poor" the greatest 2B ever?). They might lucksack their way into correct conclusions but frequently will be misled (Adam Dunn is a better hitter than Ichiro for example is something average joes whiff on since Ichiro bats like ~.320 and Dunn is a TTO hitter).

I wasn't specifically trying to talk down to you. Just that you essentially for better or worse lucksacked your analysis and focused on several points that are rather meaningless. Stolen bases are pretty meh for overall value for example. And that in a previous thread donjuan and I both mentioned these numbers and the sources. GL.

Wheell
    Wheell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1022

There are a few ways to answer the question. Hanley Ramirez definitely had the better year last year and Reyes is a better defender but we can't assume Reyes will hit like he did at the end of last season and we can't assume Ramirez will continue to kill the ball. Reyes still had a good year overall last year (he was an MVP candidate for a few months), but Ramirez might have been the best player in the National League... outside of his glove. Last year Reyes was in his 70th percentile of expected value (50% means you have an average year, 70% is a very good year) while Ramirez was well above 90% (he exploded). I know that if the Marlins offered a swap the Mets would take it in a heartbeat and if the Mets called an offered a swap the Marlins would tell the Mets to go blow themselves. They are both great young players with a load of potential Ramirez will be expected to have the better year. I would personally take Ramirez.

mofome

We've gone over this in a previous thread. BA/runs/doubles/etc are all really bad stats to compare players. OBP/SLG is a step up... Then you can move beyond that into things like EqA, wOBA, linear weights. To comprise the defensive side there UZR, Zone Ratings, the terrible stuff BP uses, and other things I'm sure I'm missing.

Then you can look at some summation stats win shares, win shares above bench, VORP, WARP1, WARP3, blah blah blah and it just gets bigger and bigger from there.

I'd suggest peeking around at baseballprospectus.com and hardballtimes.com and maybe picking up some of the books on the subject if you're really into it. You'll quickly understand that someone who is analyzing players based on BA and HRs really has no clue what they are talking about (Take a look at Joe Morgan's career stats. Why is a hitter that "poor" the greatest 2B ever?). They might lucksack their way into correct conclusions but frequently will be misled (Adam Dunn is a better hitter than Ichiro for example is something average joes whiff on since Ichiro bats like ~.320 and Dunn is a TTO hitter).

I wasn't specifically trying to talk down to you. Just that you essentially for better or worse lucksacked your analysis and focused on several points that are rather meaningless. Stolen bases are pretty meh for overall value for example. And that in a previous thread donjuan and I both mentioned these numbers and the sources. GL.

VORP, WARP1, WARP3, all of that is in prospectus? when capping a baseball game, do you spend much time on a particular game or do you have most of what you look at locked in already?

yeah, i know you and don spoke about a bit of this before, but when you've watched baseball for 20 years and thought one way, its hard to grasp something completely different right away. no one thinks their wrong, or they wouldnt think what they do, ya know. ive done decently in baseball over the years outside of 2006 where i was smashed, but really looking at these things is new to me. some of the acronyms are familiar to the eye, but the value of it all is still new. im in the process of trying to improve, thremp. i'll be in that process for a long while and i'll appreciate anyone who takes the time to offer anything they can. i believe that surrounding myself with winners and as much legit knowledge as possible is a start. knowing the top prospects in different organizations is fine, but it doesnt help me win. i would like to win as much as possible and i wont turn down the option to improve.

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by Wheell View Post
    Last year Reyes was in his 70th percentile of expected value (50% means you have an average year, 70% is a very good year) while Ramirez was well above 90% (he exploded). I know that if the Marlins offered a swap the Mets would take it in a heartbeat and if the Mets called an offered a swap the Marlins would tell the Mets to go blow themselves. They are both great young players with a load of potential Ramirez will be expected to have the better year. I would personally take Ramirez.
    good points Wheell.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Hanley's the best SS in baseball and I don't think it's even close. He's a bit more raw than Reyes, but he's already the superior player and his upside is far greater than Reyes'. Reyes is better defensively - better, more accurate arm (although Ramirez has the potential to be a + defender... great arm, fantastic athlete, very good range. No doubt he's not in Reyes' league just yet, though) and he has a slight speed advantage over Ramirez, but other than that Hanley's a better player across the board. 29 HR for a guy in his second full season in the bigs, hit predominantly in the leadoff spot and played half his games in a pitcher-friendly park is impressive. 8th in the NL in OPS (.948... one-hundred pts. higher than Reyes' career high of .841), 8th in the league in slugging %, ahead of the likes of Aramis Ramirez, David Wright, and Beltran, all middle-of-the-order hitters, who, naturally, should produce more runs than a leadoff guy. Reyes is quite good, but his ceiling isn't as high as Hanley, who's already the significantly better player and will only get markedly better.

You could make a case Hanley Ramirez is already the best player in the NL.
    Last edited by rjt721; 01-03-08 at 06:58 AM.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    You could make a case Hanley Ramirez is already the best player in the NL.
    In total agreement. Ramirez is my pick and would be my No. 1 pick among position players from either the AL or the NL if I was starting a new team today.

Cee
    Cee's Avatar Become A Pro!

Me and my buddy got into this topic tonight at the bar... Who would you rather have as your starting ss Hanley Ramirez or Jose Reyes?
    I'll be Reyes

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Love Hanley to death, but listen you guys are jumping the gun a little on this one. I wanna see a little bit more, before i would say he is the best position player in the NL. I would say he has potential to be. Didn't a SS win a NL MVP this season?

5 star bomb

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Love Hanley to death, but listen you guys are jumping the gun a little on this one. I wanna see a little bit more, before i would say he is the best position player in the NL. I would say he has potential to be. Didn't a SS win a NL MVP this season?

Im a huge Hanley fan also but I agree with you. I think everyone is jumping the gun just a little bit here. I cant really argue if people want Hanley over Reyes but im surprised Reyes isnt getting much love around here

mofome

a ss that plays in a wiffle ball stadium with one of the best lineups around him.

Thremp

LOL @ Rollins at SS. Thats almost about bad as that Canadian schmuck or Bartolo Colon or Catfish Hunter. All farces. MVP/CY/HOF... clowns.

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by 5 star bomb
    Im a huge Hanley fan also but I agree with you. I think everyone is jumping the gun just a little bit here. I cant really argue if people want Hanley over Reyes but im surprised Reyes isnt getting much love around here
    So both of you are taking Reyes over Ramirez?

5 star bomb

LOL @ Rollins at SS. Thats almost about bad as that Canadian schmuck or Bartolo Colon or Catfish Hunter. All farces. MVP/CY/HOF... clowns.

Rollins was amazing last year.

5 star bomb

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    So both of you are taking Reyes over Ramirez?

Yea I would prefer the better defense and one of the best leadoff hitters in the game that will steal me 70 bases

mofome

Yea I would prefer the better defense and one of the best leadoff hitters in the game that will steal me 70 bases

wouldnt you want the guy thats on base more? maybe hanley would steal more if he didnt hit so many HRs.

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by 5 star
    Fair enough. I just happen to prefer the guy with more power, far better OPS stats and who can still swipe 40-50 bases a year, doing all of that while playing in a lineup with far less protection.

5 star bomb

Fair enough. I just happen to prefer the guy with more power, far better OPS stats and who can still swipe 40-50 bases a year, doing all of that while playing in a lineup with far less protection.

So defense doesnt mean much to you then? They are both 23 years old. Im not saying Hanley doesnt have a great future ahead of him because he does. But I would rather have Reyes if I had to pick a ss for my team.

Willie Bee

So defense doesnt mean much to you then?
    Why would you assume that?

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Ill take Jose over Hanley i guess. I believe the mets are better with Jose then Hanley because of what their lineup calls for. Jose has been proven longer then Hanle. A lot of hanley's stats come at times when they are down 7-2 and he hits a solo HR. Or steals a base in a meaningless situation. Lets see what he does when he is in a pennat chase. Reyes was putting these numbers up while leading their division for 160 games of the year.

Thremp,

You have no clue what you are talking about if don't think J Roll deserved that MVP last season. Im not even getting into it.

5 star bomb

Why would you assume that?

Well Reyes is the better ss. Its important to be strong defensively up the middle. No one does it better than Reyes right now

Willie Bee

Ill take Jose over Hanley i guess. I believe the mets are better with Jose then Hanley because of what their lineup calls for. Jose has been proven longer then Hanle. A lot of hanley's stats come at times when they are down 7-2 and he hits a solo HR. Or steals a base in a meaningless situation. Lets see what he does when he is in a pennat chase. Reyes was putting these numbers up while leading their division for 160 games of the year.
    Interesting observations. Going in reverse with these ideas, I guess we already know how Reyes will react when his team is in a pennant chase as the Mets' shortstop hit all of .205 last September and was a big part of New York's demise.

As for the timing of Ramirez' home runs in 2007:
    #1 (Apr 6): Solo shot in bottom of third with his team trailing 3-1 at the time.
    #2 (Apr 17): Solo shot of Roy Oswalt leading off the game.
    #3 (Apr 21): Solo shot in top of 3rd with his team trailing 4-1 at the time.
    #4 (Apr 30): Solo shot in top of 4th with his team up 6-0 at the time (count this one as meaningless).
    #5 (May 15): Solo shot in top of 4th with his team trailing 1-0 at the time.
    #6 (May 19): Solo shot in top of 3rd with his team leading 2-1 at the time.
    #7 (May 23): Solo shot in bottom of 1st with his team trailing 2-0 at time.
    #8 (Jun 1): Solo shot in top of 3rd with his team leading 1-0 at the time.
    #9 (Jun 19): Two-run shot in top of 1st to give his team a 3-0 lead at the time.
    #10 (Jun 22): Solo shot in bottom of 8th to break 4-4 tie, Marlins win game 5-4.
    #11 (Jun 27): Solo shot in bottom of 7th with team trailing 5-3 before the homer.
    #12 (Jul 3): Pinch hit, 2-run blast in top of 7th to tie the game 4-4.
    #13 & #14 (Jul 6): Leads game off with homer to give Fish 1-0 lead, another solo shot in top of 7th when Florida trailed 5-3 before his blast, caps day with game winning RBI single in top of 10th to break 5-5 tie.
    #15 (Jul 17): Two-run job in bottom of 5th with his team leading 1-0 at the time.
    #16 (Jul 21): Three-run homer to cap an 8-run 8th-inning in an 11-1 Florida win (Marlins led 3-1 entering frame, call this a meaningless homer).
    #17 (Jul 27): Solo shot in top of 6th to break a 6-6 tie.
    #18 (Aug 4): Lead off homer in bottom of 1st inning to give Marlins 1-0 lead.
    #19 (Aug 5): Solo shot in bottom of 3rd to tie the game 2-2.
    #20 (Aug 7): Leadoff homer in top of 1st.
    #21 (Aug 12): Leadoff homer in top of 1st.
    #22 (Aug 16): Solo shot in bottom of 5th with Florida trailing 5-3 at the time.
    #23 (Aug 18): Leadoff homer in bottom of 1st inning to put Florida ahead 1-0.
    #24 (Sep 2): Leads off bottom of 7th with solo homer to break a 5-5 tie.
    #25 (Sep 8): Leadoff homer in top of 1st.
    #26 (Sep 9): Two run homer in top of 6th to ignite a 5-run Florida rally after entering frame down 8-0 (Call this one meaningless).
    #27 & #28 (Sep 11): Leadoff homer in bottom of 1st to give Marlins 1-0 lead, then leads off bottom of 8th with solo homer with Florida up 11-8 at the time.
    #29 (Sep 27): Solo shot in bottom of 5th with Florida leading 3-1 before his blast.

12 Last