nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE
    nobs's Avatar Become A Pro!

Play of Day --- Phillies + 125

My Best Bet play of the day will be the Phillies getting the +125 over the Red Sox today.

The Phillies start Jamie Moyer who continues to pitch well in his late 40's. Moyer became the oldest pitcher to ever pitch a shut out ealier this year, but even beyond that he has been good in all but one outing this year.

Moyer comes in tonight with a 6-5 record and a 3.98 ERA in 11 starts. He has thrown 72 innings, so he is giving the Phillies a strong 6 1/2 innings per start. He has given up 64 hits in those 72 innings while allowing 14 walks and recording 33 strikeouts.

By comparison, Red Sox starter John Lackey has struggled pretty bad this year. He has a 4.92 ERA in 12 starts. He has thrown a total of 74 innings in those 12 starts. In those 74 innings, Lackey has given up 87 hits and 35 Walks.

So in pretty much the same number of innings pitched ( 74 vs 72 ), Lackey has given up 23 more hits and walked 21 more batters. In fact, Lackey has walked 2.5 batters for every 1 batter that Moyer has walked. I think Lackeys lack of control will be a big factor as the Phillies need to work the count deep, get some free passes and get Lackeys pitch count up.

Once this game goes to the bullpen, I think the Phillies have a massive advantage. The Red Sox bullpen has struggled all year and continues to be used too much. Red Sox starters are just putting way too much on this bullpen than it can handle. Last night, The Red Sox bullpen went 2 2/3 innings, giving up 4 hits, 4 walks, a total of 9 base runners, and 2 Earned Runs. The Bullpen took a blown save and a loss.

The Previous night ( Wednesday ), The Red Sox bullpen went 1 inning giving up 7 hits, 5 walks, a total of 12 base runners, and 4 runs. So on Wednesday, facing one of the worst offenses in baseball the Cleveland Indians, the Red Sox offense faced 15 batters and got 3 outs.

The Bullpen brings Bonser who has no actual ERA as he has giving upsome earned runs but has not recorded an out, so you cant compute an actual ERA.

Then comes J. Nelson who has an ERA of 9.72, Ramirez with an ERA of 5.48, and Bard the one bright spot if you want to call it that. Bard has a 2.48 ERA but just a 1-2 record and blew a save and got a loss last night as the Indians offense smoked him.

The Red Sox offense looks OK and I am sure some think they will hit Lefty Moyer. But this offense is not what it has been in years past. Kevin Youkalis does hit .316 and Beltre at .332 and Victor Martinez hits .297 so they do bring some good averages and some power. Still the lineup has some weak spots too. The first three Scutaro, Pedroia, and Ortiz and only hitting .278, .251, and .236 so its hard for them to get much going at the top of the lineup.

The Phillies bullpen comes in quite rested as they were rained out on Wednesday and last night Roy Halladay gave them 8 strong innings. So the bullpen has seen 1 inning of action over the last 3 days, and it has faced 4 batters during the same time strecth that the Red Sox bullpen has facd 53 batters.

The Phillies offense has had periods of not scoring a lot of runs. I think that happens to every team when they face great pitching, but that isnt the case today. The Phillies lineup is packed full of good hitters at the top 6, then the bottom 3 tail off as it does with most teams.

The only advantage I see for the Red Sox here is that Lackey is a decent hitter for a pitcher and Moyer will probably be an easy out. Even so, I doubt Lackey gets a hit off Moyer.

The Play is the Phillies plus the 125, with the better pitcher, better bullpen and imo better bats.

waiverwire
    waiverwire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 767

Ortiz and Scutaro have both been ridiculous against Moyer: http://www.dailybaseballdata.com (go to Batter vs. Pitcher menu at top).

sharpmoney
    sharpmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck with the play. Kind of like the over in this game. Not that familiar with inter-league play that much but don't they use the "dh" since its in an american league park?

Bones402
    Bones402's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nice write up dont care how bad the Phillies have been lately still cant be a terrible bet with plus money

blingish
    blingish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2441

Totally agree. This is the best bet on the board IMO

alwcb
    alwcb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 945

I really like it. Not worried about Ortiz hitting Moyer. The dude hasent hit anyone. 3 for 34 in the past 10 games.

Nomadik
    Nomadik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 380

Moyer is fricket 6-12 career vs Boston with a 6.57 ERA!

giants06
    giants06's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agree. Like the value here. I'll take it for 1 unit.

cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6871

they'll be using the dh tonight. not that it matters...i was at yesterdays game and the phils are one hurtin for certain, rag-tag bunch of nobodys at the plate. Pop-Pop will go out and give it his best as will lackey. the play here is on the under.
    ok, a small parlay phils ml/under 10
    cause id love to see these ding-dongs get back on track....

cecil127

so, uh.....about that "under"

*bottom 2nd, sox up 8-zip, no outs and Pop-Pop's been shown the door(and quite possibly walked to it) Yikes!

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

looks like it might be a terrible bet

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

I got Red Socks RL

supplykim
    supplykim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Wow Moyer giving up tons of runs......not looking good......is it over?

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Quote Originally Posted by supplykim View Post
    Wow Moyer giving up tons of runs......not looking good......is it over?
    12-0 Bottom of the 3rd. Gotta say its over

cecil127

over? well, "yes" and "no".
    no, the game is in the 3rd inning
    yes, moyers shelling has ceased.
    herndon's now been enlisted to pitch BP (for now)
    yes, its an "over" 12-nuttin as of right now....
    no, i wont be cashing this bet as i took the under
    yes, this is hard to watch.

nicsbr
    today was a good day
    nicsbr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 110

u cant be to happy with this bet atm

spippen
    spippen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10669

Philly should be an under team total until they start hitting, plenty of value in fading them until them.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by D3 Mighty Ducks View Post
    I got Red Socks RL

Of course you do, they won . LOL.

OverUnder
    Feels great to be back.
    OverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 268

dont worry nobs, get em next time

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by spippen View Post
    Philly should be an under team total until they start hitting, plenty of value in fading them until them.

You mean PLENTY of value in waiting until they are down 12-0 then talking about fading them. Problem is, my book doesnt let me wait until a team is down 12-0 to decide which side I am on.

Grind House
    Grind House's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3857

The phillies are playing like some bitches this year.

wolverines
    wolverines's Avatar Become A Pro!

phillies got rocked again!!!!!!!!!!!!