dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38349

How would the most dominant pitchers dominate in Petco Park?

I have mentioned how i always felt Jake Peavy was the most overrated pitcher in baseball. Many people called him elite and i knew he was a fraud. Sure with the Padres he gave up very few runs but when you pitch half of your games at Petco Park... who wouldn't pitch good? I knew this fraud was afraid of the A.L and now he is 3-4 with a 6.05 ERA. His record should be 2-7 because 4 games he had gotten saved when his team came back and either got him in the win the final inning he pitched or turned his loss into a no decision.

You had elite pitchers like CC and Santana and when they were going to get traded, there were never any speculations about them. Even though CC pitched for the Indians and the Brewers, pitching for the Yankees definitely gave them a chance for the title. Santana going to the Mets definitely meant that he was going to get a better ERA against that weak NL hitting. And when Halladay got traded to the Phillies, we all know Roy is going to have an easy time pitching in the NL.

The elite pitchers in baseball are Tim Lincecum, Roy Halladay and CC Sabathia at the moment. Yes guys like Oswalt, Haren and Santana are definitely still good pitchers, could you imagine what kind of numbers they would put up if they were on the San Diego Padres? Yes they would get very little run support but can you imagine how many complete game shutouts Halladay, Lincecum or Sabathia would have?

I mean... no pitcher sucks pitching at Petco park. I think the highest total i ever seen at Petco in the last 2-3 years was a 9.5 and that happened probably just 1 or 2 times at the most. Almost all the totals are 7-8 usually and the worst pitchers in baseball will have a good game because of that ballpark.

I always heard so much about Peavy but even his teammate Chris Young had a few great years with the Padres and nothing much was said about him. I mean if you look at that whole Padres starting pitcher staff... their ERA's are always so low because 1/2 of their games are at Petco. I knew once Peavy left Petco he was going to face reality because he is an average pitcher at best. His road splits showed it and most importantly his record against "good teams" showed he was a poor pitcher.

Now can you imagine putting Halladay or Sabathia on the Padres? I think these guys will definitely win 20 plus games since they won't give up more than 2 runs in all their starts. I think there is a very good chance their ERA will be below a 2.00 if they pitched there.

Thoughts?

dodger33
    Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

It is a pitchers park but in the last couple of years the Padres have had a terrible offense so now matter how good their home pitching is they still have to be able to put some runs on the board.

playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

It might be a pitchers park, but then why havent other Padres pitched really well in that park over the past few years?

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by playersonly69 View Post
    It might be a pitchers park, but then why havent other Padres pitched really well in that park over the past few years?
    It really depends on the pitcher -- Pitchers who get a ton of groundballs will only see a minor bump in their pitching, while those that get alot of flyballs (like peavey) will see the biggest boost to thier stats.

Its also hard to judge "really well" over 5-6 games- over the long run though they will pitch better at PetCo than elsewhere

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38349

Chris Young has done real well in the Padres and no one talked about him. Everyone talked about Peavy though he is NOTHING without petco.