bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thats one dumb signing KC.

Why in the world would the Royals spend 12 million a year on this guy, especially knowing that he was just caught using HGH.

NASHVILLE -- Outfielder Jose Guillen and the Kansas City Royals have reached a preliminary agreement for a three year, $36 million deal, a relative of the ballplayer told ESPNdeportes.com.

The agreement will be complete when Guillen passes a physical exam, scheduled for Tuesday.

Guillen, 31, hit .290 with 23 home runs and 99 RBIs in 153 games with the Seattle Mariners last season. He had an opportunity to become a free agent when the Mariners declined an option of $9 million for 2008.

In 11 seasons with eight different teams, Guillen hit .274 with 166 home runs and 673 RBIs.

The outfielder averaged 27 home runs and 88 RBIs between 2003 and 2005 but was limited the next two seasons by wrist and right elbow operations.

Last week, Guillen was questioned by the commissioner's office about his appearance on a list of baseball players who bought human growth hormone and steroids from a clinic in Florida, which is under federal investigation.

According to records from the Rejuvenation Center of Palm Beach, Guillen spent more than $19,000 for hormones and steroids between May 2002 and June 2005.

"We told the commissioner's office my version of this whole affair, which in some ways has been handled with some errors in the media," Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com last weekend.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I'm not about to believe something a 'relative told ESPNdeportes' as gospel, but I have to agree with you Dan that it's not a great signing. I'm not real concerned about the steroids stuff, but what makes it rather senseless to me is the Mariners didn't want the guy for $9 million, so I'm not sure why he would suddenly be due $36 million over three years. I'd sure as heck want some incentives in there based on the guy staying healthy at least 130 games per season.

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

People said signing Meche was a horrible move aswell, but compared to others and their salaries it looked brilliant

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

This should basically tell you that the Royals are crazy for offering him a contract like that.

The Major League Baseball Players Association is negotiating with MLB officials on a possible 10- to 15-day suspension for outfielder Jose Guillen for his reported involvement in the purchase of steroids and human growth hormone, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Wednesday.

idontlikerocks
    idontlikerocks's Avatar Become A Pro!

i don't have the statistics but i think this guy came up to bat with ichiro suzuki on base a LOT and he managed 290 with 99 rbi. he's going to a tuffer park to hit home runs and he won't have as many guys on base. 12 million a year holy moly!!

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Thats why they are the Royals. They have no money and they overpay, they probably have to because everyone knows there not going to win there.