Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Report: Pedro won't pitch in Classic first round

Pedro will not pitch in the opening round of the World Baseball Classic, Newsday reported in Thursday's editions.

Martinez, who acknowledged Saturday when New York Mets camp opened that an injured toe might keep him out of the tournament, told Newsday that he'd still like to join the Dominican Republic team "if everything goes perfectly."

"Without a doubt my country's people expect me to perform, but only if I'm healthy," Martinez told Newsday. "They know in the long run it's better to see me pitch every five days than not at all, even if it's the Classic."

The 34-year-old Martinez played catch but hasn't thrown off a mound since September.

The injury, which makes it painful for Martinez to bend his big toe as he pushes off the pitching rubber with his right foot, caused him to miss his final two scheduled starts last year with the Mets on the brink of playoff elimination.

He said his toe first began bothering him just before the 2004 playoffs with Boston, and he received a cortisone shot. It flared up again last June, and Martinez pitched through it for the rest of the year.

The Mets say they won't try to dissuade Martinez from pitching in the WBC. The Dominican Republic plays its first game March 7 against Venezuela in Kissimmee.

The real worry, of course, is that the pain in his toe could make Martinez alter his delivery and possibly hurt his arm. Minaya said major league teams are insured if players get seriously injured in the WBC.

Martinez, who signed a $53 million, four-year contract with the Mets in December 2004, went 15-8 with a 2.82 ERA last year. He struck out 208 batters in 217 innings spanning 31 starts.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

The injury, which makes it painful for Martinez to bend his big toe as he pushes off the pitching rubber with his right foot, caused him to miss his final two scheduled starts last year with the Mets on the brink of playoff elimination.
    Pedro has a history of shutting himself down once his team is out of the race. Makes it difficult to believe some of his aches and pains sometimes.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94
    So you would recommend a $382 to win $200 bet?

yes img

it's probly worth a little bit more than that IMO

bigboydan

Mora out of World Baseball Classic.

bigboydan

"

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

BBD you have two of the same threads..

bigboydan

i do? please explain IMG.

imgv94

Two threads titled

WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC..

bigboydan

ah, now i see what your saying. i guess have titled that a little differently.

Illusion

I think he might be referring to the one in the main forum.

imgv94

it's cool bro.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    I think he might be referring to the one in the main forum.
    i seen it after i already replied ILL.

i'm just a little mad that these players are withdrawing from this event is all and venting a little bit was all in the main section

Illusion

Guerrero withdraws from WBC after cousins' deaths

Guerrero, who left Los Angeles Angels earlier this week after three cousins died in a car crash, announced Wednesday that he will not participate in the World Baseball Classic, MLB.com reported.

"I feel mentally that I cannot go out there and play to the level and compete for my country," the Angels right fielder said through an interpreter. "I don't want to cheat anybody."

Three males, all first cousins, were killed in the Sunday crash, said Tim Mead, vice president of communications for the Angels. The deceased -- Fernando Guerrero, 26; Salvador Carmona, 25; and Henry Guerrero, 23 -- were all buried Monday in the Dominican Republic. Few other details about the wreck were available.

According to MLB.com, a fourth cousin, Wilmer Paulino, survived the crash but remains hospitalized in San Cristobal, where he has undergone surgery on an ankle and both legs. No further details are available.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Wagner & Sabathia wuss out...

Billy Wagner and CC Sabathia both pull out because they're just not ready. Load of equine excrement if you ask me. These guys should have gotten themselves ready, or made the decision not to play 4-6 weeks ago. They both squat to pee as far as I'm concerned.

AP @ ESPN.com
    PHOENIX -- New York Mets closer Billy Wagner and Cleveland pitcher C.C. Sabathia withdrew Wednesday from the U.S. roster for the World Baseball Classic and were replaced by Washington right-hander Gary Majewski and Yankees left-hander Al Leiter.

presley177
    presley177's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee
    Billy Wagner and CC Sabathia both pull out because they're just not ready. Load of equine excrement if you ask me. These guys should have gotten themselves ready, or made the decision not to play 4-6 weeks ago. They both squat to pee as far as I'm concerned.

AP @ ESPN.com
    the whole thing is a joke anyway.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by presley177
    the whole thing is a joke anyway.
    I'm really starting to believe that now.

First 123