bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why the Cubs resign Wood is beyond me

No wonder Chicago will never win a world series again, because it's dumb moves like this.

Why are the Cubs going to put themselves through it again. This guy never can stay healthy nowadays, and it's obvious that he can't make more than 60 pitches in a game before his arm starts hurting.

Wood returning to Cubs on one-year deal

The Cubs and right-handed pitcher Kerry Wood agreed to terms on a one-year contract, the team announced Monday.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The coming season will mark the 30-year-old Wood's 14th in the Cubs organization. He has a 72-57 record and 3.67 ERA in 211 appearances (178 starts) in all or part of nine major league seasons with Chicago. Wood was selected by the Cubs with the fourth overall pick in the 1995 draft.

Wood ranks fourth on Chicago's all-time strikeout list with 1,323, while his .215 batting average against is the lowest of any Cub pitcher in franchise history with a minimum 1,000 innings pitched.

Wood was used exclusively in relief last season for the first time in his career. He was 1-1 with a 3.33 ERA in 22 appearances after making his season debut Aug. 5 vs. the Mets. Wood missed nearly 14 months due to right shoulder ailments.

It isn't known if he will continue in a relief role in 2008.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

This move completely befuddles me. I know bullpen help is hard to come by, but this is retarded. The only smart thing about this is the Cuns only committed for a single year.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

FOX Sports is reporting that the deal is worth 4.2 million.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    The only smart thing about this is the Cubs only committed for a single year.
    At that price, I don't think it's too bad a deal. He may be toast, but he looked fairly well the last six weeks or so. I don't think it's that bad a gamble.

drftrader
    drftrader's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    At that price, I don't think it's too bad a deal. He may be toast, but he looked fairly well the last six weeks or so. I don't think it's that bad a gamble.
    He always looks good for a few weeks-getting your hopes up-then he's on the DL. Another season gone. I really don't understand why he is still with the Cubs.

5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Kerry Wood was offered a lot more money elsewhere but decided to stay true to his team the Cubs who have been behind him since day 1. You cant just let him walk after all this time, especially what he showed at the end of the season. He actually was looking really good in the bullpen late in the season. So hopefully he is back we will find out for sure in 08... He is well worth the gamble, low risk high reward type of signing