bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jason Kendall agrees to terms with the Brewers

I know they need a replacement at catcher due to Johnny Estrada getting traded to the Mets for Mota and all. However, I really don't care for this signing by the Brewers one bit. Kendall can't hit for nothing. Hell, why not use Damian Miller as your everyday catcher, and call up somebody from the minors. Then use that money and go out and buy some decent pitching.

Catcher Kendall, Brewers reach preliminary deal

MILWAUKEE -- Catcher Jason Kendall and the Milwaukee Brewers reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday on a one-year contract.

The deal, which includes a 2009 option that could become guaranteed, is subject to Kendall passing a physical. Milwaukee made the move one day after trading catcher Johnny Estrada, to the New York Mets for reliever Guillermo Mota.

Kendall hit .270 with 19 RBI in 57 games with the Chicago Cubs after a midseason trade from Oakland. Prior to the trade, Kendall batted .226 with 33 RBI for the Athletics.

Estrada, who was acquired in a trade with Arizona last offseason, hit .278 with 10 homers and 54 RBI for Milwaukee last season but was considered a defensive liability.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

The most stolen bases allowed in MLB last year. And the lowest on base percentage in MLB last year. If they haven't signed him for either offence or defence then why the heck have they signed him?

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

How much is kendall getting?

biggamer3
    biggamer3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3802

Kendall is by far the worst starting catcher in baseball

Why not just get Lo duca?

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Good fit I think and hope for MIL.

He's a veteran catcher with a young pitching staff. Good hit and run guy, great contact hitter, whose far better suited for the N.L than the A.L. He won't be a guy who hits homers but should make meaningful contributions in other areas....hopefully he can have a line like this batting 2nd or 8th in the lineup .261BA 3HR 47RBI

Estrada was a club cancer....

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I agree with Buddy, this is a good deal overall for the Brewers. Kendall is a good guy and has been known to be solid working with pitching staffs in the past. You're not going to know everything you need to know about Kendall -- and a lot of catchers, for that matter -- just looking at a stats sheet.

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

He is very overrated. I know there are not many decent catchers but this guy has no power and makes a ton of money.