onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Mike Lowell in pin strips?

Well it looks like the Yankees are interested in Mike Lowell, but want him to play 1st base. While the Red Sox are trying to strike a deal before the deadline is up.

New York Yankees - Updated: 11/15/2007
    A Yankees official confirmed to the New York Post that the club is talking to the World Series MVP Mike Lowell about moving from third to first.
    Boston Red Sox - Updated: 11/12/2007
    With exclusive negotiating rights set to expire at midnight, the Red Sox continued to work with Mike Lowell’s agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, in hopes of reaching an agreement before the deadline, as reported by the Boston Herald.
    The Red Sox should get him signed, at least to keep him away from the Yankees.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Let's assume they do sign him, what are they gonna do with Giambi?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    Let's assume they do sign him, what are they gonna do with Giambi?
    He will be the Yankees David Ortiz. DH him?

cartay
    cartay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

The Sox will make (or made?) a competitive offer, but it remains to be seen whether it can match what the Yankees would give him, and whether the lure of the pinstripes (the team he came up with) is too much to turn down.

Any word on how many years each team is rumored to be giving him?

Illusion

Last I heard the Yankees offer is one year longer.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

I thought I heard the Red Sox are offering 3 years and the Yankees 4? Not sure though.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    I thought I heard the Red Sox are offering 3 years and the Yankees 4? Not sure though.
    You heard it correctly Looker. The Yankees offered the 4th year if he would agree to play 1st base.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Done deal. Lowell headed back to Boston.

Mike Lowell and the Boston Red Sox agreed to a three-year, $37.5 million deal Monday, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports.

Both sides have been in intense negotiations all Monday. According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, both the Phillies and Dodgers were apparently willing to go to four years, but Lowell wants to remain in Boston.

"How cool is that?" Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling posted on his blog. "Leaving years and dollars on the table to come back here for three more years, good stuff. Pretty nice to think you are fans in a town that is now a desired destination for athletes across the major sports. Come a long way for sure.

"Congrats to Mike and I've already spoken with a few guys on the team and suffice to say we're all" ecstatic, Schilling said.

Lowell followed a superlative regular season -- career highs in batting average (.324) and RBIs (120) to go with 21 home runs in 154 games -- with an outstanding October. In Boston's four-game sweep of Colorado, Lowell hit .400 (6-for-15) with four RBIs, three walks and a team-high six runs in winning the World Series.

He homered, doubled and scored twice in the Game 4 clincher at Denver's Coors Field en route to being named the World Series MVP.

Lowell, who made $9 million last year, was selected by the Yankees in the 20th round of the 1995 amateur draft. He played eight games for New York in the 1998 season before being dealt to the Florida Marlins in February 1999. He was acquired by Boston from Florida in November 2005 in the Josh Beckett trade.

Lowell's teammates and fans made clear that they wanted to see him back in Boston -- and urged them not to pursue Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, who became a free agent before deciding to return to New York.

"Forget about A-Rod. We've got Mike Lowell in the house," Ramirez yelled out during the team's victory parade through Boston.

Lowell, 33, had initially pushed for a four-year deal with the Red Sox.

Illusion

Great move on his part. He's an icon over there in beantown.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

i don't think lowell is that great. he is like the lofton of beantown, but he is no a-rod.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Look at Lowell's numbers last year. Then look at A-Rods.

If you think that the marginal benefit from having A-Rod is greater than the marginal cost of acquiring A-Rod then I suggest you get a job on the board at the Yankees.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    Look at Lowell's numbers last year. Then look at A-Rods.

If you think that the marginal benefit from having A-Rod is greater than the marginal cost of acquiring A-Rod then I suggest you get a job on the board at the Yankees.
    think of it this way, a-rod will draw more fans to the game, sell more yankees brand mercandise and look way better on tv than lowell ever will. a-rod is young and pretty good looking, so he's appealing to the female as well. in term of making money, a-rod is a cash cow for the yankees.

that is why NBA hates the spurs and the pistons. you need a star on your team to make your team stand out...like kobe for the lakers, lebron for the cavs, and anthony for the nuggets. have bunch of semi-stars working as a team is pretty boring to watch. imo, rating are higher when you have a superstar or a headcase on the team to make things more interesting.

pro teams are more about making money than winning games. kc royals was a such shitty team couple of years ago, but since they got nobody and the weird mlb rules, the royals orgainization was actually making a nice profit.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by picoman View Post
    think of it this way, a-rod will draw more fans to the game, sell more yankees brand mercandise and look way better on tv than lowell ever will. a-rod is young and pretty good looking, so he's appealing to the female as well. in term of making money, a-rod is a cash cow for the yankees.
    If Mike Lowell took A-Rod's place next year, are you certain that (noticeably) less fans will attend? They can't fill the stadium even with him there.

Why not take the Clemens example. $28 million a year. Did the marginal benefit outweigh the marginal of cost of acquiring him over Pitcher X?

Quote Originally Posted by picoman View Post
    have bunch of semi-stars working as a team is pretty boring to watch. imo, rating are higher when you have a superstar or a headcase on the team to make things more interesting.
    If that's your opinion of NBA or MLB then you're really not a fan of the game.

swifty
    swifty's Avatar Become A Pro!

He sign with the red sox again.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

He turned down a 4 year 50 million dollar deal from Philly and only asked Boston to increase their original offer of 3yrs/36 million to 3yrs/37.5 million. That's loyalty. Wow.