Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

NL Cy Young -- Who gets it?

I know Brandon Webb had an even better season statistically than 2006 when he won the NL CY, but it will be a complete travesty of justice in my opinion if Jake Peavy doesn't take home 2007 honors.

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Peavy was amazing. Webb made a run with that streak. I would give it to Peavy also. He was great from beginning to end.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

It's Peavy, and it's unanimous...

Not really too much to argue about on this one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3112132
    NEW YORK -- Jake Peavy was a unanimous winner of the NL Cy Young Award on Thursday after leading the league in wins, ERA and strikeouts -- pitching's version of a Triple Crown.

The San Diego Padres ace received all 32 first-place votes and finished with 160 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Arizona sinkerballer Brandon Webb, last year's winner, was a distant runner-up with 94 points. He was listed second on 31 ballots and third on one.

Peavy went 19-6 while topping the majors in ERA (2.54) and strikeouts (240) for the Padres, who came within one win of their third consecutive playoff berth. He joined Roger Clemens as the only pitchers to win a Cy Young Award without tossing a complete game.
    I believe there's a future trivia question in there

EDIT: Actually, several other pitchers have won the Cy Young without tossing a complete game. Have to assume they meant the only starting pitchers to do so.
    Last edited by Willie Bee; 11-15-07 at 01:40 PM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really don't think anyone could really make a valid case for anyone other than Peavy on this award this year. This guy recovered nicely from his injury factor, as well as actually getting a catcher that could call a game for once.