No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

R.I.P. Ernie Harwell

Sad day for baseball and Tiger fans everywhere.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Deuce - Ernie Harwell Dead RIP

Now THIS is a guy who should have a tribute video done for him!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5163285

DETROIT -- Longtime Detroit Tigers broadcaster Ernie Harwell, beloved by generations of fans who grew up listening to his rich voice, Southern cadence and quirky phrases on the radio, has died after a months-long battle with cancer. He was 92.
    Tigers spokesman Brian Britten said the Tigers learned of Harwell's death from his agent.
    Harwell, a Hall of Fame announcer who called Tigers games for four-plus decades and was acquired by the Brooklyn Dodgers for a catcher, announced in September that he had been diagnosed with inoperable cancer of the bile duct. Then 91, he took the news with characteristic poise, saying he planned to continue working on a book and other projects.
    "Whatever happens, I'm ready to face it," Harwell told The Associated Press on Sept. 4, 2009. "I have a great faith in God and Jesus."
    Merrill: Remembering Harwell

For generations, famed broadcaster Ernie Harwell made listening to the Detroit Tigers an almost spiritual happening. As he dealt with cancer, ESPN.com's Liz Merrill watched as Harwell's own spirituality provided peace and comfort as his friends and fans said their goodbyes. Story

Shortly after Harwell's announcement, the Tigers honored him during the third inning of a game against the Kansas City Royals, showing a video tribute and giving him a chance to address the crowd at Comerica Park.
    "In my almost 92 years on this earth, the good lord has blessed me with a great journey," Harwell said at a microphone behind home plate. "The blessed part of that journey is that it's going to end here in the great state of Michigan."
    Harwell died Tuesday at his home in Novi, about 30 miles northwest of Detroit, according to the Detroit Free Press. The Tigers did not have additional details about his death.
    "All of Major League Baseball is in mourning tonight upon learning of the loss of a giant of our game, Ernie Harwell," commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. "This son of Georgia was the voice of the Detroit Tigers and one of the game's iconic announcers to fans across America, always representing the best of our national pastime to his generations of listeners.
    "Without question, Ernie was one of the finest and most distinguished gentlemen I have ever met. On behalf of Major League Baseball, I extend my deepest sympathy to Ernie's beloved wife, Lulu, his four children, his friends and his countless admirers throughout our game," Selig said.
    Longtime Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully also weighed in on Harwell.
    "He was with the Dodgers in '48 and '49, then I sat in his chair," Scully told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Tony Jackson. "I didn't follow or succeed him, I just sat in his chair. He was so gracious and kind. Probably the best word is that he was a gentleman, and it came across. He just cared for people. He loved baseball. He was such a nice guy, so you can understand why the people of Detroit just loved him."
    Harwell spent 42 of his 55 years in broadcasting with the Tigers. He was their play-by-play radio voice from 1960 to 1991 and 1993 to 2002.
    The team and its flagship radio station, WJR, allowed his contract to expire after the 1991 season in what became a public relations nightmare. Then-Tigers president Bo Schembechler, the former Michigan football coach, took the blame. WJR general manager Jim Long later took responsibility for the unpopular move.
    When Mike Ilitch bought the franchise from Tom Monaghan, he put Harwell back in the booth in 1993. Harwell chose to retire after the 2002 season.
    His big break came in unorthodox fashion.
    Dodgers radio broadcaster Red Barber fell ill in 1948, and general manager Branch Rickey needed a replacement. After learning the Crackers needed a catcher, Rickey sent minor league catcher Cliff Dapper to Atlanta and Harwell joined the Dodgers.
    Harwell said his most memorable game was the 1951 playoff between the Dodgers and New York Giants for the NL pennant, which Bobby Thomson won with a walk-off home run, but few if any people remember his recount of the "Shot Heard 'Round The World" at the Polo Grounds that day.
    Russ Hodges' exclamation on radio of "The Giants win the pennant!" became one of the most famous moments in sports broadcasting history. Harwell, meanwhile, was calling the first major sporting event televised coast-to-coast in the United States. His work that day has been largely forgotten.
    "I just said 'It's gone!' and then the pictures took over," he recalled.
    By his own count, Harwell called more than 8,300 major league games, starting with the Dodgers and continuing with the Giants and Baltimore Orioles before joining the Tigers. He missed two games outside of the '92 season: one for his brother's funeral in 1968, the other when he was inducted into the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association Hall of Fame in 1989.
    The Georgia native's easygoing manner and love of baseball endeared him to generations of Tigers fans, enhancing the club's finest moments and making its struggles more bearable.
    Even casual fans could tick off Harwell catchphrases: "Looooooong gone!" for a home run; "He stood there like the house by the side of the road and watched that one go by" for a batter taking a called third strike; and "Two for the price of one!" for a double play.
    Foul balls into the stands were "Caught by a man from [whatever town in the area that came to his mind]."
    "I started that after I got to Detroit in 1961 or '62, and it just happened by accident," Harwell explained. "I said, 'A guy from Grosse Pointe caught that foul ball,' then the next ones were caught by a guy from Saginaw or a lady from Lansing."
    The Baseball Hall of Fame honored Harwell in 1981 with the Ford C. Frick Award, given annually to a broadcaster for major contributions to baseball.
    Harwell tempered his with modesty.
    "I just want people to remember me as a guy who showed up for work and tried to do a good job," Harwell told the AP weeks before he retired in 2002.
    As Detroit struggled late in Harwell's career -- the Tigers had losing records in each of his final nine years in the booth -- he became a reminder of better times. A life-size statue of Harwell stands at the entrance to Comerica Park and its press box is called "The Ernie Harwell Media Center."
    He took pride in making rare visits to the ballpark and for not doing much play-by-play work as a retiree. But he did make a guest appearance for ESPN Radio during the fourth inning of the 2005 All-Star Game in Detroit. He also presented the ceremonial first ball to Tigers greats Al Kaline and Willie Horton before Game 1 of the 2006 World Series when Detroit hosted the St. Louis Cardinals.
    Harwell was born Jan. 25, 1918, in Washington, Ga., with a speech defect that left him tongue-tied. Through therapy and forcing himself to participate in debates and classroom discussions, he had overcome the handicap by the time he graduated from Emory University.
    Harwell was 16 when he became a correspondent for The Sporting News and worked from 1936-40 as a sports writer for The Atlanta Constitution. Harwell began his broadcasting career in 1940 as a sports commentator for WSB radio in Atlanta. He also worked the Masters for NBC radio.
    After serving in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1942-46, Harwell was the minor league Atlanta Crackers' radio voice from 1946-48.
    "Ernie Harwell, it goes without saying, was one of the greatest in the history of our profession," Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman said in a statement. "More important than that, however, he was one of the finest people I've ever known. I was privileged to call Ernie my friend. I will miss him greatly."
    Harwell's output far exceeded the thousands of baseball games he broadcast. He wrote a column for the Free Press after retiring from broadcasting, penned more than 50 songs, produced at least three book-length collections of essays and anecdotes, covered the 1939 Atlanta premiere of "Gone with the Wind" for Life magazine and broadcast golf and pro and college football.
    Harwell's vigor prompted Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan to sign him to a 10-year contract as a spokesman and fitness advocate in 2003, when he was 85.
    Survivors include his wife of 68 years, Lulu, and four children.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

BEST EVER in my opinion

I will miss him

Grew up listening to him and he made my boring nights in Iowa with no computor and 3 tv channels meaningful.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

hmmmm...his picture looks like my friend Bosh only she is a woman

BobHarvey
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 380

I agree about the video. And Harwell was a true legend. Detroit fans were lucky to have him as their play-by-play guy for so many years. I'm a Dodgers fan so and we're fortunate to have Vin Scully.

Brock Landers

Quote Originally Posted by BobHarvey View Post
    I agree about the video. And Harwell was a true legend. Detroit fans were lucky to have him as their play-by-play guy for so many years. I'm a Dodgers fan so and we're fortunate to have Vin Scully.
    I'd have to think Vin Scully is the only one of the great old announcers left..

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

I love Ernie, fond memories of him. RIP good buddy.

Brock Landers

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Ernie Harwell passes

I know it won't mean much to you narcissistic young whippersnappers, but broadcasting and baseball lost a legend in Ernie Harwell. My condolences and sympathy go out to his family and all Tigers fans who had the privilege and pleasure to have listened to this man for so many years.

DETROIT -- From the sandy shores of Lake Michigan to the rugged streets in Flint, they listened to Ernie Harwell tell the Detroit Tigers' tales for more than 40 years.

Beloved by generations of baseball fans who grew up enraptured by his rich voice, Southern cadence and quirky phrases on the radio, Harwell died Tuesday after a months-long battle with cancer. He was 92.

The longtime Tigers broadcaster died about 7:30 p.m. in his apartment at Fox Run Village and Retirement Center in the Detroit suburb of Novi, said his attorney and longtime friend, S. Gary Spicer.

RockyS
    penetrate it =)
    RockyS's Avatar Become A Pro!

All I can hope is that I will leave till 92

R.I.P.

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

R.I.P. And condolences to all the tiger fans. It was tough when we lost harry kalas last year so I know how some of you will feel.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Ernie WAS Detroit Tiger baseball for generations of Tiger fans.

Baseball has lost another great voice...

RIP Ernie...

Doc

Skidcom
    Skidcom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19739

Amazing class act. Died with the quiet dignity with which he lived. May we all give so much to the world

capri5421
    capri5421's Avatar Become A Pro!

He was A great man ! Nice write up willie !

capri5421
    capri5421's Avatar Become A Pro!

Willie, can you PM I have A question.

ClipCan
    ClipCan's Avatar Become A Pro!

RIP Ernie Harwell, you did such great work all of MLB.

1tarheelfan
    1tarheelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    I know it won't mean much to you narcissistic young whippersnappers, but broadcasting and baseball lost a legend in Ernie Harwell. My condolences and sympathy go out to his family and all Tigers fans who had the privilege and pleasure to have listened to this man for so many years.

DETROIT -- From the sandy shores of Lake Michigan to the rugged streets in Flint, they listened to Ernie Harwell tell the Detroit Tigers' tales for more than 40 years.

Beloved by generations of baseball fans who grew up enraptured by his rich voice, Southern cadence and quirky phrases on the radio, Harwell died Tuesday after a months-long battle with cancer. He was 92.

The longtime Tigers broadcaster died about 7:30 p.m. in his apartment at Fox Run Village and Retirement Center in the Detroit suburb of Novi, said his attorney and longtime friend, S. Gary Spicer.
    i second that willie.he was a a true icon in the broadcasting world.my favorite has always been vince scully of the dodgers,and ritchie ashburn of the phillies.chick hurns was another legend in the sportsworld that passed away not to awfull long ago.i beleive the era where people broadcast,and not to try to out due one another is and will be a lost art.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Not many of the old time broadcasting Legends left.... seems like we've lost more than a handful in the last few years...... I hope Vin Scully can stay healthy and alive as long as Ernie...

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

That is what makes baseball so cool.

The Broadcasters. And these young kids today don't understand that tie between a team and their broadcasters.

Scully/Dodgers, Kalas/Philles, Ernie/Tigers, Joe Nuxtall/Reds.

Those guys were/are were baseball as much as the players are.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have a feeling Detroit puts forth a hell of an effort today to honor him. The numbers heavily favor them in game 3 of a series & after a loss. They may not get the win, but I feel they will be hittin', really likin' this over and Detroit with a good price is worth a unit

BadFinger
    BadFinger's Avatar Become A Pro!

scully is one of the best. sad day for tigers fans.

ClipCan
    ClipCan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 05-20-15 at 09:03 AM. Reason: image does not exist