bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Schilling reportedly close to agreement with Boston

Very dumb move on Boston's part.

They should have let him go after he had the nerve to file for free agency on the day of the parade.

Schilling reportedly close to agreement with champs on deal

Curt Schilling had listed 13 teams that the free agent would play for next season. Looks like he's close to getting his first choice.

The Boston Herald reported on Monday night that the right-hander and the Red Sox are close to reaching agreement on a one-year, incentive-laden deal. Citing a person familiar with the talks, The Associated Press reported that a deal could be reached within a few days.

Schilling told the newspaper that things "gathered momentum and if they continued to progress like they did [on Sunday] something could potentially get done."

Sources told the Herald that the final hurdle in the deal may be the 40-year-old Schilling passing a physical.

Schilling, who is not represented by an agent, went 9-8 with a 3.87 ERA last season. He won three games in the postseason, including Game 2 of the World Series on the way to Boston's sweep of the Colorado Rockies.

Schlling is a six-time All-Star who has been with the Red Sox for four of his 20 seasons.

Earlier this week, a post on Schilling's Web site, 38pitches.com, read, "For anyone interested please just assume things are happening with Boston without me mentioning it. Theo [Epstein] and I have spoken more than once but there will be no details or updates of these discussions."

The Herald reported that the Astros, Diamondbacks and Phillies all contacted Schilling on the first day of free agency, but he posted on his Web site: "I made it clear to all three teams that my intent was to do whatever I could to resolve this and remain in Boston for the final year of my career. "

In 2004, Schilling went 21-6 and helped lead the Red Sox to their first World Series title since 1918, but his velocity has diminished,

After the Red Sox declined to give him an extension, Schilling said in February that he would become a free agent after the season. He said then he would return for Boston in 2008 for $13 million, the same salary he earned in 2007.

While he wanted to stay, he also was ready in case he had to change teams.

"We've prepared the kids that we may be moving again," wife Shonda said last weekend.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Not such a bad move if that what they think he's worth. Boston always said that they would wait until the end of the season before committing any further on him - I'd say he's worth another year.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Done deal.

I don't have a problem with Schill returning for one more year, but there better still be a spot for Buchholz in the rotation. He's ready right now... no need for him to start the season at AAA.

1. Beckett
    2. Daisuke
    3. Schill
    4. Lester
    5. Buchholz

Sorry, Wake, but barring injury you're the odd man out.

Rusted Trombone
    Rusted Trombone's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think they will end up giving Wake a shot in the beginning and bring Bucholz up around the All-Star break or to spot start.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Just read an article at Foxsports. $2 million of that is on the premise that Schilling meets each of 6 monthly weigh clauses. What are the odds that whoever signs Miguel Cabrera adds on one of those?

Also the article mentioned a six man pitching roster on the basis that Buchholz and Lester haven't pitched a full season and Dice-K is used to pitching once every 6 days in Japan. A good idea for the young uns and possibly injury prone Wakefield but I can't see them letting Beckett miss out on all those extra starts and also dilute the return on the Dice-K contract.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I still can't believe the one clause that was put in their. If Schilling gets 1 vote in the Cy Young voting, he gets either 1 or 2 million. LOL