bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

You have to feel sorry for Torre

How can't you feel sorry for Joe Torre even despite all the post season losing these past few years.

This guy has took the Yankees to the playoffs for like like the last 10 years or so, and "The Boss" is basically going to fire him if he loses this series against the Tribe.

WestsidePete
    WestsidePete's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree...it's the GM's fault to not have pitching for the playoffs every year....what's he supposed to do?? how is this his fault??

BossRoss
    BossRoss's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

I agree the GM should take most of the blame for signing some of these guys and hanging onto some others for too long, but It's hard to feel sorry for a guy who makes the playoffs every single year and gets paid what he gets paid, is he the unfair scapegoat for Georgie-Poorgie...Probably, do I feel sorry for him..Not really! I do feel sorry for whoever has to come in and try to fill Joe Torre's shoes tho, Good Luck to that guy!!!

NEP Dynasty
    NEP Dynasty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Steinbrenner is a moron. Torre is, IMO, the best manager in the game. He has constantly had to manage superstar ego's, keeping them in line in the clubhouse. Despite having to do this, he has had the Yanks in the playoffs a remarkable 13 (I believe) straight years. If Steinbrenner lets this guy go, he will be making a large mistake. Tell Cashman to get some damn pitching.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Torre got all of the credit when they won and now he should share the blame when they lose. He's had the top payroll for how many years now??? The Yanks would usually swipe up every key player at the trade deadine. Now they can't anymore because so many teams are in the payoff race nearing the trade deadline.

Only the Yankees have revenue sharing to blame for that happening. Hey New York, you can't buy every World Series and now it's biting you in the ass!!!! Ha Ha, F*ck Torre!!!
    Last edited by Illusion; 10-09-07 at 12:35 AM.

The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

My prediction: This is just more emotional sickness coming from Steinbrenner. I think sometime in the future he will say he overreacted and loves Torre and would be honored to have him back and it will be a passive-aggressive love-fest in the papers and Torre will be back again next year, unless he turns it down.

idontlikerocks
    idontlikerocks's Avatar Become A Pro!

the yankees losing makes 97 percent of americans happy. look for a big market rally tomorrow despite wall street being in n.y.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Torre has nothing to do with the payroll he's given. He's always struck me as a class individual, dating back to his playing days, and only one player I've heard in the past decade or so has had a bad thing to say about him with Sheffield throwing done some ridiculous race card.

Both New York GM's screwed the pooch this year thinking they could get by on the old arms they stocked their rosters with.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

I have a difficult time feeling sorry for someone who makes $7 million a year sitting on their ass.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    This guy has took the Yankees to the playoffs for like like the last 10 years or so, and "The Boss" is basically going to fire him if he loses this series against the Tribe.
    It's the job of the manager to negotiate through the regular season and get into the playoffs. When in the playoffs, it's pretty much all down to the players themselves. The only error Torre made was pitching Wang in game 4. Having said that, there wasn't much option with the piss-poor selection he had to choose from. Based on the overall performance, the players should shoulder a heck of a lot of the blame (just as they should have got a heck of a lot of the praise if they won).

elliott0924
    elliott0924's Avatar Become A Pro!

He doe snot do anything at all except look tired all the damn time. He should be fired and they should hire Joe Girardi.

elliott0924
    elliott0924's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dont get me wrong I hate the Yanks to but hell, with all of talent he should not lose a game.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36721

Quote Originally Posted by elliott0924 View Post
    Dont get me wrong I hate the Yanks to but hell, with all of talent he should not lose a game.
    Offensively yes they have "all the talent". But pitching and defense is what wins in the end and the Yanks are piss poor in these areas and have been for a long long time.

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Nobody can come in and do a better job than Torre, that team has more big egos than any team in baseball. You think Mussina would have shut up when he was pulled from the rotation if it was any other manager? Torre made the playoffs 13 years in a row, you can say that with their payroll they should make it, but look at the teams with the next 5 highest payrolls. Nobody is even close to that kind of track record. The Mets couldn't even make the playoffs and the Red Sox didn't make it last year. The Yanks will make a big mistake getting rid of Torre.

Skidcom
    Skidcom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19551

I rarely shed tears for anyone making millions playing a game. He;ll get over his "mistreatment"

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

I'm not saying he was mistreated. I'm just saying he's still the best manager for the job and people are quick to knock him and dismiss his titles because they have the highest payroll.

Thomasha7
    Thomasha7's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't feel sorry for him. Hell rebound no matter what. Or just retire on all his money.

azgrande18
    azgrande18's Avatar Become A Pro!

How much work does he have to do with all the talent he has been given over the years.

whitesoxrock33
    whitesoxrock33's Avatar Become A Pro!

13 straight playoff appearences 5 ws appearences 4 ws wins-- as a yankee hater i hope they fire him - u dont know what u have till its gone

MJFtheGenius
    MJFtheGenius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

Quote Originally Posted by WestsidePete View Post
    I agree...it's the GM's fault to not have pitching for the playoffs every year....what's he supposed to do?? how is this his fault??
    They can't hit either in the playoffs, look at all the talent they have and 0 rings in the past 7 years. It's time for Torre to go

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I cannot feel bad for a guy that has not requested to get some pitching that they badly needed. I think with that kind of payroll you need to have some good pitching and not all hitting. I think they should have gotten rid of him as manager two years ago.