bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hard to believe the Baseball season ends tomorrow

This baseball season has been one wild year, especially in the NL. The one thing I will most remember about this year though is the year of the bullpen implosions (Damn you Baltimore! )

The Yankees appeared to be dead in the water with all there injuries, and there bullpen was on pace to pitch like 700 innings which is just unheard of really. Then the next thing you know they caught lighting in a bottle, and ended up winning the wild card.

The Brewers appeared to have the NL central all locked up by the all-star break, and ended up blowing it. It's really ashame that Ben Sheets couldn't stay healthy the whole season, because that might have made the difference right there. Then you ended up having Chris Capuano who went winless for something like 18 straight games, and that sure didn't help matters down the stretch at all.

The Colorado Rockies have to be the surprise of the season IMO. That teams bullpen just was god awful until mid-August, and somehow manage to pull it together for a very nice stretch run rally. They have some very good young talent that the developed through there minor league system, and it's really starting to show it in MLB.

The Jury is still out on the Mets as of right now though, because they still have a chance to win the division even despite the worst collapse I've ever seen in baseball.

I'm sure I missed a lot of other things that has happen this year, but these are the ones that came to mind first when writing this post.

What was the one thing that stood out to you as being the most memorable this year?

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

lost a shit load of money betting on oakland and the mets

one thing that stand out is the philly came back from 0-4 deficit and won the game 8-7. i had a shitload of money on the ml

another one is boston bottom of the 9th came back won it 2-1...won a shitload of money there.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

August 22, 2007

Texas Rangers vs. Baltimore Orioles

Final Score:

Texas 30 (29 hits)
    Baltimore 3

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9578

Great finishes, but the season is just too long.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Another crapshoot who will win it all, it is only pro sport that any playoff team can win

no good

remmy358
    remmy358's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Another crapshoot who will win it all, it is only pro sport that any playoff team can win

no good
    agreed. look at st. louis last year. it's all about who gets the right bounces and calls... and who gets hot and lucky

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I think it is wide open this year in baseball, who knows this time around. I don't ever remember that there is a possilbity that 4 teams could win up at the end of the year with the same identical record and the tie breakers are really a mess. I don't ever recall of that ever happening, so we may have a first. I do believe that jjgold is right this year it is so wide open that anyone could win it this year.

EJandV
    EJandV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Which year was it not like that ? That any team could win it ?

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

EJand I disagree with you on that statement, there was years that there was someone dominant, like the Yankees were in the late 90's. I had them then, that was like taking candy from a baby. There is no team that stands out this year is what I mean, it is wide open.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

The one thing I forgot to mention earlier in my original post is all the milestones that we seen this year.

Craig Biggio hitting #3,000 and Frank Thomas hitting #500 on the same day. Then Tom Glavine getting win #300, and Taco's boy Barry "roids" Bonds breaking Arron's home run record.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

halfway through the year it looked like a pretty safe statement to say my milwaukee brewers, detroit, and the mets would be in the playoffs.
    now of course 2 of them are out and one is down to the last day.

i don't think i can remember 3 pretty darn good teams all fading like that in the same year?

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

detroit 52-34 at the break with a huge lead in the wild card and the division lead
    mets 7 game lead with 17 left
    brewers 8 1/2 game lead early in a terrible division