curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

How does a hitter ground out to left field?

I just saw this on the play by play of the Baltimore Texas game, with 2 runners on and 1 out:

I didn't catch the batter's name, I will call him Smith, didn't catch the name of the runner on 2nd, I will call him Jones:

"Smith grounds into a fielder's choice to left, Jones out at 3rd, runner advances to 2nd, Smith safe at 1st..."

How do you ground out to left field?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

Because on a fielders choice, you are considered out. So when they threw the runner out at 3rd base, the batter is considered out but is the base runner at 1st because of the fielders choice.

EJandV
    EJandV's Avatar Become A Pro!

maybe bad base running made that play happen .

EJandV

man on 2nd thought left fielder was gonna catch it on the fly so he had to hold up running to third, left fielder gunned him out , force play at 3rd .

curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ooo, so what was probably a single ends up in an out because the base runner on 2nd screwed up. OUCH

EJandV

nah , the left filder probably booted it , a play he should have made but made up for it by being quick enough to recover and pick up the ball to gun em out at 3rd , no tag needed , so not to tough to pull off really .

EJandV

oooh , he grounded out to left field so how could he boot it . lmao I used to play shortstop in softball and would throw people out from the outfield , I would play deep to take away the line shot over my head ............ the 1st baseman would hate that shi# thinking I was stupid for doing that but I made some amazing plays doing it believe it or not. web gems dog !!!!