Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Fantasy Trade Review - Help!

So I missed my draft last night, just spaced out. I ended up pulling a decent offensive roster but am lacking some pitching (head-to-head league). I logged on this morning to find a trade being offered to me and am thinking of biting but I want some input.

Im giving up:
    A-rod

Im getting:
    Mark Reynolds
    Ryan Franklin

Now, I really need some relief and I think in general Arod is "over valued" though there is always the possibility he breaks out. I know Reynolds is not great and I can counter for Soria or Cordero (he probably wont go for this) or Street or Aardsma (Aardsma more desirable for me b/c my starters have high ERAs already and Street gets beat up sometimes).

Thoughts?

Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2069

No!

There will be closers available on the waiver wire all year and closers to be had for cheap in trades. If healthy all year, A-rod could make a run at #1 overall player.

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Thanks bob. Im looking at Reynolds strike outs too and not sure if I can absorb that (while losing a near .300 avg). I still might fire back with one of those top closers, why not. But am leaning towards not settling for Aardsma...

Anyone else?

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

Never trade a prime player for a reliever. A-Rod will get you points in many categories, while a reliever is good for saves only (and maybe WHIP).

rob11234
    rob11234's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Sorry, but that's a horrible, horrible trade. You'll be able to pick up players of the caliber you're receiving via free agency or waivers. If you're trading a premium player, you should be receiving a premium player. And not a closer, either.

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11153

Terrible trade. Closers will come and go during the season, so there will be good options later on if you need saves.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    No! There will be closers available on the waiver wire all year and closers to be had for cheap in trades. If healthy all year, A-rod could make a run at #1 overall player.
    Exactly. Definitely do not do this trade, half a dozen closers either lose their job or are hurt for the year and lots of free agent jems pop up. A Rod is still a stud, you can get way more for him.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Everyone else pretty much covered the reasons for staying the hell away from this one. Pitching fluctuates a lot through a Fantasy season, consistent hitting for power is golden.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Just be aggressive on the waiver wire. Hitting is more important than pitching in head to head leagues.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

I don't like franklin at all. he had a really lucky season last year and I'd guess that he loses the job at some point this year.