t2wentyfou4r
    t2wentyfou4r's Avatar Become A Pro!

Are the Redsox's going to choke?

How can a team loaded with good pitching, and hitting let the Yankees, and Seattle catch up to them? They were leading the East by 14+ games a month and 1/2 ago. Now the lead is 4. I can see the Yankees win the East, and Seattle winning the Wildcard. I think this is the curse of "J.D. Drew". One of the most overrated player to come through the major leagues in the last 15 years. They should had kept Trot Nixon. Same production, but way less money. Do you remember when J.D Drew was first drafted. They called him the next Mickey Mantle.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

Of course they will choke, why wouldn't they? The Sox just never seem to have it down the stretch.

WileOut
    WileOut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Manny Ramirez is a party boy. It hurts.

BigD
    BigD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1863

Yes they will

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They are not choking, Yanks are just too good

Yanks will win Div

JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not this year. Too big a lead too much talent. Playoffs are another matter.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

gagne cost them 3 wins a week. otherwise they've been playing ok, the yanks have a ridiculously good record recently.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

This West Coast Trip for the Yankees just might be the death of them in that division chase. Red Sox fans have to really like there chances to gain ground with Tampa Bay this week.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Sox aren't even choking. The Yanks are just playing out of their minds since the break, and it's unlikely they'll keep winning at their current pace.

Look at Boston's schedule the remainder of the season: 9 against TB, 7 against Baltimore and 4 against the ChiSox. Two teams they absolutely own, and another that's completely given up on it's manager. They will be fine.

By the way, Sox v. Yanks in the ALCS is inevitable.

stump
    stump's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

no, the yankees will cool down, and the red sox will hang on to win the east

alta
    alta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10353

Yes.
    Especially if they keep watching Bucky Dent reruns on a regular basis!

t2wentyfou4r
    t2wentyfou4r's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is a big road trip for the Yankees to the west coast. Baltimore is not an easy team to beat anymore. Redsox might struggle with them.

remmy358
    remmy358's Avatar Become A Pro!

as i stated when they were 14 or so out, the yanks will win the division. i don't think theyll make the WS though. i like seattle and F-HER

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by t2wentyfou4r View Post
    I can see the Yankees win the East, and Seattle winning the Wildcard.
    You're saying Boston will miss the playoffs altogether?

Want to give me some odds on that?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Red Sox will be fine, the Yankees will cool off.

Yankees need to worry about the Mariners.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13658

Needless to say, it will come down to the series between the 2 squads. I hope the 'Sox hang on, and I think they will, but you never know. Hopefully it's not the Boston Massacre, Part III.

Allow me to share my own pain as it relates to some other comments brought up in this thread...Contrary to belief, the RedSox don't usually choke during the regular season, at least in the 35 years I've been following them. There was the nightmare of '78, and every team has their own horror story, but apart from that, the other 10 times they've made the playoffs from the 1970's to now, they held off all challenges. They had a 5 game lead in the summer of '82 before the Brewers passed them, but apart from that, I recall no significant blown leads...Again, it's that 14 1/2 game lead in '78 that sticks out like a bloody sore thumb, of course.

As everyone pretty much knows, where they have collapsed has been the playoffs, with the twin nightmares of '86 and '03. Little known is the fact that even after the Game 6 collapse in 1986, they still had a 3-0 lead in Game 7, and were threatening to blow the game wide open with the bases loaded. Alas.....That said, in the last decade Boston has pulled off 3 of the greatest playoff comebacks in history, at least recent, capped by 2004 which I still have to check on from time to time to see if I wasn't dreaming and that actually did happen.

Ok, that feels better to get that out. Sorry for taking over the thread with my own personal therapy session. I think the RedSox will hang on, but if the Yankees pass them, then they deserve all the credit in the world for a truly astonshing comeback.