LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Red Sox Trade Wily Mo Pena to Nationals

Why Nationals are playing the role of Buyer I do not know.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Why Nationals are playing the role of Buyer I do not know.

I just hope it turns out to be a "profitable" thing for us gamblers down the stretch LT.

t2wentyfou4r
    t2wentyfou4r's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Nats are getting ready for next year. Hopefully Willy No No can do something in DC.

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

unless u pitch a fastball willy mo aint hitting it living in boston i couldnt stand when he was up cuz i figured either the pitcher was stupid so he'd throw a fastball and see how far willy mo can hit it..or throw a breaking ball and strike him out every time

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

He didn't make it with the Reds and Red Sox in hitter friendly parks, I don't think he will make it in Washington.

What did the Red Sox get in return? I am sure they are just dropping baggage with this trade.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    What did the Red Sox get in return? I am sure they are just dropping baggage with this trade.
    Nothing. Just a player to be named. Boston needed to open a roster spot for Buchholz to start today's game, and Wily Mo was the obvious odd-man out.

I wouldn't give up on Wily Mo just yet. He's still young, and he has insane raw power. Obviously he has trouble hitting breaking stuff, but he just needs to play everyday. His growth was stunted as a result of being called up too early in Cincy, and because he was out of minor league options, he couldn't be sent back down to the minors.

His two years in Boston were a waste, as he never received consistent AB's.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

The world famous Player to be Named Later Looker.

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

actually i think it was 2 free up roster 2 bring up buchholz and then send him bak 2 AAA and bring up ellsbury?(i love ellsbury!!!!!!)

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

A masterpiece move by a team that gets the absolute MOST from the talent it has available. Pena will gain confidence playing with these guys and his results will improve with more PT.

t2wentyfou4r
    t2wentyfou4r's Avatar Become A Pro!

Willy overhyped Pena

If two teams gives up on you, isn't that a hint that the over hyped player will never reach "the next level". Don't you remember Brooks Kiechnick of the Cubs, Kevin Maas of the Yankees, Ruben Mateo of the Texas Rangers. The next can't miss player from the minor leagues. That is a good point, if you can't hit at Fenway, or in Cincin, your not going to hit at the oversize Nats stadium. What has Austin Kearns done in Washington?

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

The Washington Nationals today acquired first baseman/outfielder Chris Carter from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for right-handed pitcher Emiliano Fruto. The Nationals then immediately traded Carter to the Boston Red Sox as the player to be named to complete the August 17 trade in which Washington acquired outfielder Wily Mo Pena and cash considerations from Boston. Nationals Vice President and General Manager Jim Bowden made the announcements.

Fruto, 23, was 3-9 with a 5.26 ERA in 18 games (16 starts) for Columbus of the Triple-A International League at the time of the trade.

The 24-year-old Carter is a left-handed hitting first baseman who hit .324 with 18 home runs and 84 RBI in 126 games with Tucson of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League prior to being dealt to Boston.

In three games with Washington, Pena is 5-for-11 (.455) with a double, two home runs and three RBI. The 25-year-old Pena has reached base in eight times in 14 plate appearances with the Nationals thanks to three walks. Pena's second-inning solo home run last night-his second long ball in as many games-triggered Washington's 7-0 victory at Houston.

EJandV
    EJandV's Avatar Become A Pro!

I bragged alot on Mateo with Texas and drafted him in a fantasy leauge was eons ago . Was a bust . Pena hit a key homer vs the royals last year to help sox and me . Pena could do okay with no pressure on him , playing for non contending low expectation nats is really a joke compared to being a redsox with sooo much expected of him to produce in the biggest market in the mlb . When the pressure factor is erased people with talent no matter what it is set records every day . ie like hrs in batting practice , pitchers can throw 100 strikes in a row in practice , etc , basketball hit free throws all day long and never miss , players look perfect in practice and to me playing for the nats is like practice to him , perhaps . I'm not him so cant say for sure obviously . If you can imagien being a redsox the feeling you would have compared to being in sorry ass dc , he feels right at home I bet . Pena is streaky and probably just got lucky is my conclusion , WITH NO PRESSURE .