bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Former big leaguer Offerman arrested for melee

This should have never came to this at all. We all know that back in the day this stuff always happens, and still does in MLB to a certain degree. Nobody press charges way back when, and nobody should be pressing charges now.

Former big leaguer Offerman arrested for melee

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- Former major league All-Star Jose Offerman was charged with two counts of second-degree assault after hitting the pitcher and catcher with his bat during an independent minor league game.

Offerman posted $10,000 bond and is due in Bridgeport Superior Court on Aug. 23, court officials said Wednesday.

Offerman, playing for the Long Island Ducks in the Atlantic League, homered in the first inning. The next inning, he was hit by a pitch from Bridgeport's Matt Beech and charged the mound with his bat.

According to the Connecticut Post, Beech was hit on the hands as he attempted to defend himself, while catcher John Nathans was hit in the back of the head on Offerman's backswing. Police said Beech, a left-hander, sustained a broken right middle finger, and Nathans later suffered from nausea, the newspaper reported. Bridgeport manager Tommy John told ESPN2's "First Take" that Nathans had suffered a concussion.

Offerman played for the Bluefish in 2003.

"He hit him with a cut fastball in the left calf," John said, according to the Post. "And the next thing you know, Offerman's going to the mound with his bat over his head taking swings at Beech. He took at least two, maybe even three [swings]."

"It was just a scary incident for everybody witnessing what took place," Bluefish pitcher Mike Porzio said, according to the Post. "Everybody was in shock at the time because it's not something you see. I've played 15 years and I've never seen that before.

"Everyone was fearful for Matt Beech because apparently something set Offerman off, because he's played a long time and nobody could believe what they were seeing. Unfortunately, though, he got out to the mound before we could," Porzio said, according to the newspaper. "Luckily for Matt Beech, he was agile enough to dodge a bat. But it may have only been John Nathans taking one on the backswing in the head to have saved Matt Beech from really taking one in the face."

Nathans left the game at the end of the inning, the Post reported.

"He attempted to keep on going, but he came in the dugout and fell over," Porzio said, according to the Post. "Clearly, it was more than just a bang on the head."

The game was delayed for about 20 minutes because of the melee. Offerman, Beech and John were all ejected.

The newspaper reported that police converged on the Ducks' clubhouse once order was restored on the field.

"I called [Atlantic League executive director] Joe Klein immediately after the incident and told him what had occurred on the field," Bluefish CEO Mary-Jane Foster told the Post. "And I have asked that the Atlantic League suspend Jose Offerman from the league for life."

Offerman batted .273 during his 15 seasons in the majors. He last played in the majors in 2005 with Philadelphia and the New York Mets. He was an All-Star in 1995 with the Dodgers and 1999 with Boston.

bigboydan

Here is an update on this one.

Attorney unsure if Offerman hit pitcher, catcher with bat

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- An attorney for former major-league All-Star Jose Offerman said Tuesday his client should not have been arrested for an attack in the minors, challenging charges that he struck a pitcher and catcher with his bat.

Offerman was playing for the Long Island Ducks when he allegedly hit the opposing catcher and pitcher Tuesday night at Bridgeport. He was indefinitely suspended the next day.

Offerman was originally due in Bridgeport Superior Court on Thursday. His appearance was continued until Sept. 24.

Offerman's attorney, Frank Riccio, said he was still talking to witnesses, looking at photographs and gathering evidence but did not believe his client struck the players with a bat.

"I think a mistake was made by him charging the mound with a bat in his hand," Riccio said. "But after that, everything is a blur."

Riccio said the pitcher could have been injured when he punched Offerman in the head, while the catcher appeared to grab the arm Offerman was using to hold the bat.

"We dispute the fact that any contact was made with the bat," Riccio said. "It's as likely these two players got injured in the melee that followed the incident as opposed to the baseball bat incident."

Riccio said his client should never have been arrested.

"I think baseball polices itself very well," Riccio said. "I think it should be left to baseball to decide what should be done."

Offerman was charged with two counts of second-degree assault and is due back in a Connecticut court Thursday.

Bridgeport Bluefish catcher John Nathans sustained a concussion that may sideline him for the rest of the season. Bluefish pitcher Matt Beech had a broken finger on his non-throwing hand.

"Our client remembers getting hit in the head with the bat," said Michael Koskoff, Nathans' attorney. "He felt the bat hit his head."

Beech's attorney, John Robert Gulash, said it was a serious incident either way.

"My only observation would be, is Mr. Offerman indicating he simply attempted to commit an assault in the second degree as opposed to actually fully completing an assault in the second degree?" Gulash said.

Beech said after the incident: "He swung the first time at my head and it was kind of like a helicopter follow-through, and I believe that is when John got hit in the back of the head."

Lt. Jim Viadero, a Bridgeport police spokesman, said the pitcher and catcher said they were hit by the bat.

"Just because you're involved in a sporting event doesn't alleviate the fact that you have to obey the laws of the state of Connecticut," Viadero said.

There were no plans to file charges against the pitcher or catcher, Viadero said.

Beech received a three-game suspension, according to a statement on the Atlantic League Web site. Gulash said his client would appeal.

The league also suspended Ducks catcher Jared Price for his role in the fight. The Atlantic League's regular season runs through Sept. 16.

Offerman said afterward that "it was one those moments that you want to forget." He said he just snapped and didn't intend to hurt anyone.

"If that [hitting Nathans] happened [it was because] he run to me, I don't run to him and if he got hit it was because he tried to run behind me and take the bat and that was an accident," Offerman said the day after the incident.

The 38-year-old Offerman last played in the majors in 2005 with the New York Mets. He batted .273 during his 15 seasons in the majors and was an All-Star infielder in 1995 with the Los Angeles Dodgers and in 1999 with the Boston Red Sox.

Offerman hit a home run on the first pitch of Tuesday's game. The next time up, Beech hit him in the leg with a pitch.

Offerman charged the mound with his bat. Nathans tried to intervene and was struck in the head. Beech, who formerly pitched in the majors, wound up with a broken middle finger on his right hand.

Beech acknowledged he was trying to pitch Offerman inside but said he wasn't aiming to hit him.

The attack cleared both benches and the game was delayed about 20 minutes. Offerman, Beech and Bridgeport manager and former major-league pitcher Tommy John were ejected. Nathans is still suffering from the concussion and has been advised by his doctor to avoid any stressful physical activity until the symptoms clear, Koskoff said Friday.

Koskoff said the 28-year-old Nathans is optimistic he'll return. Follow-up tests revealed no bleeding in the brain, he said.

Beech pitched Sunday and began serving his suspension Monday, while his team was playing at Long Island, said Nick Razzette, a team spokesman. He will likely finish serving it before his next scheduled start Aug. 24, Razzette said.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- An attorney for former major-league All-Star Jose Offerman said Tuesday his client should not have been arrested for an attack in the minors, challenging charges that he struck a pitcher and catcher with his bat.
    He's free to challenge all of this in court, isn't he? Make sure and challenge the eyewitness testimony of his own teammates, Frank Riccio, as well as the doctor's reports.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    This should have never came to this at all. We all know that back in the day this stuff always happens, and still does in MLB to a certain degree. Nobody press charges way back when, and nobody should be pressing charges now.
    That's all well and good when it's a couple of playing getting into a scrap in the heat of the moment, both throwing punches and forgetting about it the next day. It's an entirely different thing to go at them with a frickin' baseball bat.

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    That's all well and good when it's a couple of playing getting into a scrap in the heat of the moment, both throwing punches and forgetting about it the next day. It's an entirely different thing to go at them with a frickin' baseball bat.
    The last sentence is the key. I liked this guy, he could hit and played hard. But its over. Time to find a new career.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I liked him too SBR John, I remember when he was a rookie with the Dodgers...sad to see his career end this way...

bigboydan

I still say this is just absolutely crazy that charges were even filed over this one.... It's just part of the game!

Heres an update on this story.

Offerman pleads not guilty to charges stemming from mound attack

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- Former major league All-Star Jose Offerman pleaded not guilty Monday to charges that he attacked a pitcher and catcher with his bat during a minor league game.

Offerman is scheduled back in Bridgeport Superior Court on Oct. 17. He declined comment after his appearance Monday.

Offerman, who is charged with two counts of second-degree assault, charged the mound after he was hit with a pitch while batting for the Long Island Ducks on Aug. 14. He was accused of hitting two Bridgeport Bluefish players and indefinitely suspended the next day.

During the ensuing melee, Bluefish catcher John Nathans sustained a concussion and pitcher Matt Beech broke a finger on his non-throwing hand.

Offerman's attorney Frank Riccio has said he does not believe his client struck the players with a bat.

The 38-year-old Offerman last played in the majors in 2005 with the New York Mets. He batted .273 during 15 seasons in the majors and was an All-Star infielder in 1995 with the Dodgers and in 1999 with Boston.

During the minor league game, Offerman hit a home run on the first pitch. The next time up, Beech hit him in the leg with a pitch. Beech acknowledged he was trying to pitch Offerman inside but said he wasn't aiming to hit him.

The attack cleared both benches and the game was delayed about 20 minutes. Offerman, Beech and Bridgeport manager and former major league pitcher Tommy John were ejected.

Beech and Ducks catcher Jared Price were suspended for their roles in the fight.

bigboydan

Looks like he'll get 2 years of special probation over this B.S. incident.

Heres the final verdict on this saga:

Offerman gets two years of probation for minor league bat attack

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- Former baseball major leaguer Jose Offerman will serve two years of a special form of probation for attacking two players with a bat during a minor league game in August.

Bridgeport Superior Court Judge James Ginocchio granted the two-time All-Star accelerated rehabilitation Tuesday after hearing from current and former major league players supporting Offerman.

Two felony assault charges will be erased from his record if he abides by the terms of the probation.

Offerman was playing for the Atlantic League's Long Island Ducks on Aug. 14 in Bridgeport when he was hit by a pitch and charged the mound with his bat. Bridgeport Bluefish catcher John Nathans sustained a concussion and Bluefish pitcher Matt Beech had a broken finger on his non-throwing hand after the incident.

Offerman apologized in court Tuesday.

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

I'm not sure how you can call it a BS incident. He should go to jail. If he had used a pipe would that have fine also? You can't do this in real life and you shouldn't be able to do it in baseball. Fists are how men settle things, not baseball bats, he could have killed somebody. He should be in jail with other thugs like himself.

kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

I only have a faint recollection of this, but when Offerman played for the Red Sox he was arrested for whacking his wife around.

bigboydan

I still say this shouldn't even have happen from a standpoint of charges even being filed. This should have been policed by the baseball players themselves like it was in the good old days.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

What are you saying, Dan, that players from other teams should've taken him out back and beaten Offerman with a bat? I'm glad to see charges filed, hope the pitcher and catcher also get into the son of a bitch's wallet via civil action. Buzzing him up and in on his next at bat wasn't going to solve anything, indeed, that's what started it in the first place. And throwing at someone else on his team is an absolute chickenshˇt way to deal with it.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36681

I agree with you Willie. I too am glad to see charges filed. The baseball "code of conduct" on how to deal with this was thrown out the window when Offerman didn't drop his bat when he charged the mound. That crossed the line and should be dealt with accordingly.