Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Player Makes It Back To The Show After 13 Years

CHICAGO (AP) — Sean Kazmar Jr. grounded into a double play — and sounded overjoyed.

“Definitely everything and then some,” he said. “What an amazing feeling.”

While Kazmar and the Atlanta Braves lost to the Chicago Cubs 13-4, his pinch-hit appearance in the fifth inning marked the 36-year-old infielder's first major league game since Sept. 23, 2008, with the San Diego Padres — a span of 12 years, 6 months, 25 days.

Kazmar was at home living on unemployment insurance last year during the COVID-19-shortened season, when the minor leagues were called.

“There could have been obvious times where I doubted that this opportunity would ever come,” he said. “Honestly, it never really left my mind, especially the last few years that I've been playing in Gwinnett I still felt like I had the ability to play at this level. Just super fortunate to get this opportunity — one to do it with an Atlanta Braves uniform on and secondly to do it at Wrigley Field is amazing.”

Kazmar appeared in 19 games in 2008 with San Diego for his only previous major league action, and had since played in Triple-A for the Padres, Seattle Mariners, New York Mets and Braves, plus Double-A for the Mets — a total of 1,106 minor league games.

The gap between big league appearances was the greatest since that of right-hander Ralph Winegarner, according to Elias Sports Bureau. Winegarner played on June 23, 1936, for the Cleveland Indians and did not return to the majors until July 7, 1949, with the St. Louis Browns, a span of 13 years, 14 days.

Johnrl21
    Johnrl21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2097

Sell this all you want....but this is my response as a Braves fan:

I venture to say most Braves fans really don’t care about this guy....including me. Sorry that might seem harsh....but most fans had big plans for this team.....and it wasn’t for feel-good stories like this, it was for a mission for the World Series. It’s a nice moment for this guy, but to be honest, no thanks. Let the Mariners have stories like this.

spippen
    spippen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10669

This is more likely the only good news coming out of the Braves this season. Team has no pitching at all. The pitchers , both starters as we as relief pitchers, looked scared to death when they take the ball. They get wailed upon on a daily basis. Some trades for real pitching needs to be done. These guys obviously don't care about winning right now.