onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Bonds finally did it.

Hey Dan. I got to see this live and in color. I am sure your happy Bonds has done it.

Congrats Barry.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

They said he was out for 45 minute doing batting practice. They also said that is very rare for Barry Bonds to do that these days. He hit something like 19 B.P. homers.

Looks like that extra work paid off for him, as he hit the 755th of his career at his first at bat of the evening.

zootiehead
    zootiehead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

755*

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

755*

*the greatest baseball player of all time

djeffectz
    djeffectz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

I'm glad he did it, I dont care what people think, he may have cheated but to hit homers u have to make contact with the ball, and its very hard to hit one, my friend who is with the Brewers, Fontella Jones, I think hes Triple A right now, you can look him up, anyways we was taking B.P with him throwing mid 90's and I couldnt even hit one out of 20 pitches... so I give Barry Mad props,....

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

755*

* 755 Career HOME RUNS!!

73 Home Runs in a single season (Hit 73 HR's while being walked 177 times)

14 seasons with 30+ HR's
    13 seasons with 100+ RBI's

In 2001 his slugging % was .863

In 2004 had an OBP% of .609 OPS= 1.422!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 2004, Bonds became the first player in history with more times on base (376) than official times at bats (373). This was due to the record number of walks, which count as a time on base but not a time at bat. He had 135 hits, 232 walks, and 9 hit-by-pitches for the 376 number.

During the 2002 post-season, Bonds set the record for most home runs hit in a single post-season (8). Bonds hit .471 with 4 home runs and 13 walks (seven intentional) in the World Series, thereby slugging 1.294 with a .700 on-base percentage. The slugging percentage was a record;

Lifetime OBP of .442

88 hits away from 3,000

7 time MVP Award Winner (First one in 1990)

Slugging .607

Batted .370 in 2002
    Batted .362 in 2004
    Batted .341 in 2003

Walked 198 times in 02
    Walked 232 times in 04

Other players took steroids and didn't even have half the career Bonds had..

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

He is also closing in on the most career runs scored. Not sure of the exact number.

1 away from the multiple home runs in a game record. He has 71, Babe Ruth has 72.

Regardless, he has put in some work.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Career Runs Scored

Rickey Henderson 2,295
    Ty Cobb 2,246
    Barry Bonds 2,208

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap View Post
    755*

*the greatest baseball player of all time
    NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!

When Barry wins 100 games AS A PITCHER and hits over 700 home runs, get back to me.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!

When Barry wins 100 games AS A PITCHER and hits over 700 home runs, get back to me.
    You forgot to add with GH and every steroid he could get his hands on.

Doc JS

Quote Originally Posted by BatemanPatrickl View Post
    You forgot to add with GH and every steroid he could get his hands on.
    Patrick,

Yep! I don't see how anyone who has read the book Game of Shadows (and I have), isn't 100% convinced that Bonds is one of the biggest cheaters in the history of baseball.

And as big a blow-hard as Curt Schilling is, he's 100% right when he says that if someone wrote that about you and you knew it was full of lies that you'd sue their ass off. As far as I know, Mr. Bonds has not filed suit against the authors of Game of Shadows.

Now, all of that having been said, as much as it pains me to write this, Bonds had put together a HOF career BEFORE he started juicing.

I'll just be glad when he hits 756 and we can start to put all this behind us. If A-Rod stays healthy and hits 30 a year for the next ten years, he'll hit at least 800 for his career. And Barry will be bumped to second.

BatemanPatrickl

Patrick,

Yep! I don't see how anyone who has read the book Game of Shadows (and I have), isn't 100% convinced that Bonds is one of the biggest cheaters in the history of baseball.

And as big a blow-hard as Curt Schilling is, he's 100% right when he says that if someone wrote that about you and you knew it was full of lies that you'd sue their ass off. As far as I know, Mr. Bonds has not filed suit against the authors of Game of Shadows.

Now, all of that having been said, as much as it pains me to write this, Bonds had put together a HOF career BEFORE he started juicing.

I'll just be glad when he hits 756 and we can start to put all this behind us. If A-Rod stays healthy and hits 30 a year for the next ten years, he'll hit at least 800 for his career. And Barry will be bumped to second.
    Anyone who can look at his before and after pics and say he DID NOT juice is in need of a reality check.

Doc JS

Anyone who can look at his before and after pics and say he DID NOT juice is in need of a reality check.
    Agreed! Nuff said!!

isetcap

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!

When a time machine is constructed and a young Barry Bonds is replicated then I'll get back to you. Barry would make that fatass look like a softball player. Of course we'd also have to allow those pesky minorities to play if this scenario were to take place, but their influence really hasn't altered the level of play much over the last 100 years.

Or we could have some real fun with scientific advancements and bring Fatass into today's game. He might be able to hit some but I'd love to see him try to win a game as a pitcher. That wouldn't last long.

BatemanPatrickl

When a time machine is constructed and a young Barry Bonds is replicated then I'll get back to you. Barry would make that fatass look like a softball player. Of course we'd also have to allow those pesky minorities to play if this scenario were to take place, but their influence really hasn't altered the level of play much over the last 100 years.

Or we could have some real fun with scientific advancements and bring Fatass into today's game. He might be able to hit some but I'd love to see him try to win a game as a pitcher. That wouldn't last long.
    Well, any muscle bound steroid/GH user would make the average ballplayer look like a softball player.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    Bonds finally did it.

Hey Dan. I got to see this live and in color
    I don't acknowledge until Tacomax Makes it official looker.

isetcap

Well, any muscle bound steroid/GH user would make the average ballplayer look like a softball player.
    Well, I'll acknowledge that may have played a role but MLB has never declared him to ever have violated any rules of the game. His off-the-field activities may be in question but on the field there is clear evidence of his level of accomplishment.

Having said all that, it's only a matter of time before Alex and Albert surpass them all.

t2wentyfou4r
    t2wentyfou4r's Avatar Become A Pro!

Barry Bonds is the greatest of this era. We will never know if he did, or didn't do roids. The day it comes out that he did do roids, then all the records should be void. Until that day, he is the greatest baseball player in this era. With the roids issue. Who really knows who is doing it, or not. It seems like more, and more pitcher had been using roids. It funny know body talks about players like Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, or even Roger Clemens using. It's hard to believe a pitcher throwing that hard, and that good way into there 40's to mid 40's

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by t2wentyfou4r View Post
    Barry Bonds is the greatest of this era. We will never know if he did, or didn't do roids. The day it comes out that he did do roids, then all the records should be void. Until that day, he is the greatest baseball player in this era. With the roids issue. Who really knows who is doing it, or not. It seems like more, and more pitcher had been using roids. It funny know body talks about players like Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, or even Roger Clemens using. It's hard to believe a pitcher throwing that hard, and that good way into there 40's to mid 40's
    Their longevity is actually a case against steroid use. One of the many long term effects of steroids is joint problems. It would be pretty hard to pitch that well with aching joints for that long. It might also explain Barry Bonds and his degenerating knees...

t2wentyfou4r
    t2wentyfou4r's Avatar Become A Pro!

For the older pitcher, it seems HGH would be the drug of choice. It would help them recover faster.

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by t2wentyfou4r View Post
    For the older pitcher, it seems HGH would be the drug of choice. It would help them recover faster.
    Correct. The classic steroids that create professional wrestler bodies are quite destructive to joint tissue and the heart muscle. There is a very good body of evidence for the banning of such substances. HGH is quite different in that it accelerates the healing process of muscular tissue. It would be of perfect benefit to a pitcher in today's game. The jury is still very much out as to the detriment caused by a carefully monitored HGH regimen. It is certainly perfectly legal at this point in time to undergo physician prescribed HGH therapy and only a handful of states even classify HGH as a "controlled substance".
    Last edited by isetcap; 08-05-07 at 04:31 PM.

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    Their longevity is actually a case against steroid use. One of the many long term effects of steroids is joint problems. It would be pretty hard to pitch that well with aching joints for that long. It might also explain Barry Bonds and his degenerating knees...
    What better explains his degenerating knees would be the fact that he is 43 years old and has played left field in Major League Baseball for 22 years.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

What better explains his degenerating knees would be the fact that he is 43 years old and has played left field in Major League Baseball for 22 years.
    Umm. Not really. It's baseball. How much pounding do you think his knees have gone through compared to a soccer, basketball, football, tennis, or rugby player? What he has is chronic osteoarthritis. You really think it's from trotting around 4 bases 755 times? Please.

isetcap

Umm. Not really. It's baseball. How much pounding do you think his knees have gone through compared to a soccer, basketball, football, tennis, or rugby player? What he has is chronic osteoarthritis. You really think it's from trotting around 4 bases 755 times? Please.
    OK, you keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, Barry has touched all four bases 2209 times. He's been on base over 5600 times. He has over 500 stolen bases. And by the way, he still plays in left field. So you just keep pretending that all he has done is trot around the bases 755 times, because the absurdity of that statement makes it blatantly obvious you just don't know.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

OK, you keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, Barry has touched all four bases 2209 times. He's been on base over 5600 times. He has over 500 stolen bases. And by the way, he still plays in left field. So you just keep pretending that all he has done is trot around the bases 755 times, because the absurdity of that statement makes it blatantly obvious you just don't know.
    Umm. It's called sarcasm. So how many miles of running is that in his career? 10? 20? 50? Players in all of the sports that I mentioned previously probably have more impact on their knees in a year's worth of play than Bonds has had in his whole career. One answer: steroids.

isetcap

One answer: steroids.
    Incorrect. That is one of several possible answers unless you are somehow drawing a correlation between all individuals with osteoarthritis sufferers being steroid abusers. By that logic I suppose that all bald men were juicing also. Based on my limited understanding of the condition, it appears possible that other factors can contribute to its development.

What is osteoarthritis?

Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis that is caused by the breakdown and eventual loss of the cartilage of one or more joints. Cartilage is a protein substance that serves as a "cushion" between the bones of the joints. Osteoarthritis is also known as degenerative arthritis. Among the over 100 different types of arthritis conditions, osteoarthritis is the most common, affecting over 20 million people in the United States. Osteoarthritis occurs more frequently as we age. Before age 45, osteoarthritis occurs more frequently in males. After age 55 years, it occurs more frequently in females. In the United States, all races appear equally affected. A higher incidence of osteoarthritis exists in the Japanese population, while South African blacks, East Indians and Southern Chinese have lower rates.

Osteoarthritis commonly affects the hands, feet, spine, and large weight-bearing joints, such as the hips and knees. Most cases of osteoarthritis have no known cause and are referred to as primary osteoarthritis. When the cause of the osteoarthritis is known, the condition is referred to as secondary osteoarthritis.

What causes osteoarthritis?

Primary osteoarthritis is mostly related to aging. With aging, the water content of the cartilage increases and the protein makeup of cartilage degenerates. Repetitive use of the joints over the years irritates and inflames the cartilage, causing joint pain and swelling. Eventually, cartilage begins to degenerate by flaking or forming tiny crevasses. In advanced cases, there is a total loss of the cartilage cushion between the bones of the joints. Loss of cartilage cushion causes friction between the bones, leading to pain and limitation of joint mobility. Inflammation of the cartilage can also stimulate new bone outgrowths (spurs) to form around the joints. Osteoarthritis occasionally can be found in multiple members of the same family, implying an heredity (genetic) basis for this condition.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

You may want to do a bit more research and see what age group that osteoarthritis typically effects. (Hint: It's not 40 year olds.) And by the way, Bonds has been having joint problems since his elbow injury in 1999.

isetcap

You may want to do a bit more research and see what age group that osteoarthritis typically effects. (Hint: It's not 40 year olds.) And by the way, Bonds has been having joint problems since his elbow injury in 1999.
    Before age 45, osteoarthritis occurs more frequently in males.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

I guess I should expect a circular argument...

BatemanPatrickl

I guess I should expect a circular argument...
    Steroids and HGH also helps one recover quickly from injuries. The reason that your muscles grow quickly is that recovery time from weight training is shortened. Some steroids even improve your vision as well.

The fact that he has played this long is a case FOR steroid use.