Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

White Sox add Mackowiak, send Marte to Pirates

PITTSBURGH -- The Chicago White Sox acquired utilityman Rob Mackowiak from the Pittsburgh Pirates on Thursday for left-handed reliever Damaso Marte.

The deal was pending physicals, according to a baseball official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the trade had not been finalized yet.

Mackowiak gives the World Series champions a solid, left-handed bat on the bench. He also can provide insurance at third base behind Joe Crede and help replace Aaron Rowand in the outfield.

An outstanding defensive center fielder, Rowand was traded by Chicago to Philadelphia for slugger Jim Thome last month.

Mackowiak got regular playing time all over the field last season, batting .272 with nine homers, 58 RBI and 21 doubles for Pittsburgh. He appeared in 142 games, including 65 at third base, 41 in center field, 23 in right and 20 at second base.

Marte went 3-4 with a 3.77 ERA and four saves in 66 relief appearances, often struggling with his control. He struck out 54 batters and walked 33 in 45 1/3 innings.

The 29-year-old Mackowiak is from Oak Lawn, Ill., a short drive from U.S. Cellular Field. He earned $1.5 million this year and is eligible for arbitration.

Marte, traded by the Pirates to Chicago in March 2002, is owed $2.25 million next year. His contract contains club options at $3 million annually for 2007 and 2008.

Pittsburgh also released former starting third baseman Ty Wigginton to create a 40-man roster spot for pitcher Victor Santos, who was chosen in the winter meeting draft.

Santos, a right-hander, was 4-13 with a 4.57 ERA in 29 games with Milwaukee last season.

The small-budget Pirates, who went 67-95 this year, were active at the meeting. They also acquired first baseman Sean Casey and $1 million from the Cincinnati Reds for left-hander Dave Williams, and shipped pitcher Mark Redman to Kansas City for right-hander Jonah Bayliss and minor league pitcher Chad Blackwell.

"We'll use those dollars that we budgeted for other things," Pittsburgh general manager Dave Littlefield said. "We've been reconfiguring our roster for a couple of years now."

In another move, the Pirates acquired minor league right-hander Clayton Hamilton from San Diego as the player to be named in the Nov. 21 trade that sent infielder Bobby Hill to the Padres.

Illusion

This is the best move the White Sox have made in years. Marte cost the Sox alot of games.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

damn right ILL...

Marte might have been Ozzie's boy. but, that guy is simply worthless.

Illusion

If they get rid of Vizcaino then I will be really happy.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    If they get rid of Vizcaino then I will be really happy.

yep, that would get rid of all the stiffs the white sox have in there pen.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

i see this as a good move for both teams.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear
    Not for the Pirates, Marte really sucks.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear
    i disagree totaly double B,

marte really sucks badly. and, will fit in perfectly with rick white, and brian meadows in the pitt. pen.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Marte was terrible last season. If I was on the Sox and watching the game, and he was called in. Id turn the channel, because I knew he would hurt them more often then not. Didnt want to see it and get pissed when I knew what the outcome would be.

bigboydan

now all pitt has to do now is aquire jeff fassero and, steve kline. and, i'm in heaven

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

where's manny going? is staying with red sox's or leaving to win a
    championship with the angels?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    now all pitt has to do now is aquire jeff fassero and, steve kline. and, i'm in heaven
    Oh god. Two more if you see go in the game, you just toss your tickets in the trash.

But dont want to load all them jems up on one team Dan. Unless it keeps us all safe , just swear off Pit for the whole season.

bigboydan

might be worth a trip to effinghan IL. just to say hi to the fassero's