Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

Rays Renew Cy Young Winner Blake Snell At Only $573,700

The Rays intend to stick to their pre-arb salary formula with regard to lefty Blake Snell, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Plenty of young major leaguers are playing at similar rates of pay, to be sure. The minimum salary sits at $555K and most organizations stay close to it, typically handing out increases measured in the thousands or tens of thousands based upon service time and certain performance standards.

The collective bargaining agreement allows teams to pay pre-arb players whatever it likes, so long as they earn at that floor level. Snell, though, needn’t agree to the salary he’s allotted. And indications are he won’t, preferring instead to make a symbolic protest.

The southpaw says it’s “disappointing” that he wasn’t rewarded with a bigger increase after wrapping up a stellar season in which he walked off with the American League Cy Young Award. He was anything but vitriolic toward the Tampa Bay organization, but left no doubt that he’ll also be taking a businesslike approach in his future dealings with the club.

Given his immense achievement, it’s not surprising that Snell would feel a bit slighted. It’s true, as Topkin notes, that renewals aren’t terribly uncommon for players who’ve turned in big seasons. But the examples he cites also highlight just how stingy the Rays’ formula is. Josh Hader declined to agree to the $687,600 salary that the Brewers’ own spreadsheets spit out. Mookie Betts wouldn’t put his signature on a $950K payday after a season in which he placed second in the MVP voting. The same thing happened last spring with Carlos Correa, who was renewed at a cool $1MM.

It is understandable enough that the Rays wish to maintain discipline, as Topkin explains, and are wary of allowing “an exception” to make it impossible to “draw, and hold, the line” in future situations. Of course, the team set its formula by fiat and can modify it at will to incorporate whatever inputs it wishes. No doubt the data-savvy organization could imagine a way to reward truly exemplary performance without opening the door to otherwise unwanted expenses. A well-crafted incentive structure might even make good financial sense, though the Rays have surely thought that through already.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Blake Snell - MLB Service Time: 2.07 yrs, Major Awards: Cy Young Winner ... 2019 Salary $573,700
    Aaron Judge - MLB Service Time: 2.05 yrs, Major Awards: Unanimous ROY Winner ... 2019 Salary $684,300

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

“The Rays have the right under the collective bargaining agreement to renew me at or near the league-minimum salary. They also have the ability to to more adequately compensate me, as other organizations have done with players who have similar achievements to mine. The Rays chose the former,” Snell said, via Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. “I will have no further comment and look forward to competing with my teammates and field staff in our quest to win the World Series in 2019.”

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

this is partially the new MLB.............. get talented young players and hang on to them through their cheap years...... the 7 to 10 year deals on 30 year-old (or even 27 year-old) stars often end up killing a franchise. of course the other end is signing mysterious cuban teenagers who apparently have not worked out well so far. but they don't kill your franchise. the money involved is "easy come, easy go", i think

are there rules as to when TB can sign Snell to a nice medium-term deal? basically a deal to take him through arbitration and early free agency. he makes less money that he might have made in an optimistic scenario but alot more than he would have in a pessimistic scenario. works for everyone.

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    “The Rays have the right under the collective bargaining agreement to renew me at or near the league-minimum salary. They also have the ability to to more adequately compensate me, as other organizations have done with players who have similar achievements to mine. The Rays chose the former,” Snell said, via Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. “I will have no further comment and look forward to competing with my teammates and field staff in our quest to win the World Series in 2019.”
    not sure how much they'd be paying him. but paying him nothing when they could pay him more is stupid, at least to me.

i also wonder about teams monkeying around with young players service years (don't bring them up at start of season), but is it so widespread that it's the norm?

PromiseLand
    PromiseLand's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

Tim Lincecum won the Cy Young in 2008 and 2009. His salary was 405k for 2008 and 650k for 2009. Needless to say, he's been pretty well compensated since then, but this is how MLB operates.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Better not flop this year. Show you can do it consistently, and you’ll be able to get out of Tampa while getting paid big from the grown up teams.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

I agree w TB here

If it were my team I'd beat the shit out of 5 youngsters for 4 years or so and let em go

If they throw their arm out early so be it, still made millions over that time

Kershaw contracts are killers and mid teir ones worse... look at MN w Santana or Hughes... no results

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

These guys all have agents that operate ruthlessly. Makes no sense to pay a guy more than needed. He is not going to stop playing hard because he needs to keep performing until he is eligible for the big contract.

It would be a different story if guys didn't have agents where maybe you throw him something now and in return get a little break down the road on a big contract.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Rays aren't winning shit anyways. Dont let that hot streak at thr end of the season fool you. Snell will also regress. He is not having an era under 2 again..

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Terrible
    What scumbag owners

Guys worth 10,000 times more than Harper

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Terrible
    What scumbag owners

Guys worth 10,000 times more than Harper
    Lol. Look at the Phillies ticket sales the moment they announced Harpers signing and they sold more in that 24 hours than Rays will for entire season.

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by PromiseLand View Post
    Tim Lincecum won the Cy Young in 2008 and 2009. His salary was 405k for 2008 and 650k for 2009. Needless to say, he's been pretty well compensated since then, but this is how MLB operates.
    Tim Lincecum never got a big long-term contract.. in fact, he's the poster child to the risks Blake Snell faces...... Lincecum did have a few seasons at a high wage, but i think that was it.

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    Tim Lincecum never got a big long-term contract.. in fact, he's the poster child to the risks Blake Snell faces...... Lincecum did have a few seasons at a high wage, but i think that was it.
    There was a stretch from 2010-2015 when Timmy made about $100 million. Pretty damn good career earnings I’d say. Especially for a guy who never won as many as 13 games in a season after 2011.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

confused dont feel like reading to figure it out but guess he's still under contract no way he'd sign something new at that price after winning award

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    There was a stretch from 2010-2015 when Timmy made about $100 million. Pretty damn good career earnings I’d say. Especially for a guy who never won as many as 13 games in a season after 2011.
    Lincecum's pay is almost perfect negative correlation to his performance. it might be the best negative correlation ever.

he did ok. i agree....... but he never got the long-term deal that many others got

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Great value.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

blake snell got paid, wow teams are really scared now losing players like nationals did with harper, astros paid bregman 2 years early now the cheap rays are paying snell

BREAKING: Reigning AL Cy Young winner Blake Snell and the Tampa Bay Rays are in agreement on a five-year, $50 million contract extension, league sources tell ESPN. The deal runs through Snell's age-30 season and does not include any options.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47489

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    blake snell got paid, wow teams are really scared now losing players like nationals did with harper, astros paid bregman 2 years early now the cheap rays are paying snell

BREAKING: Reigning AL Cy Young winner Blake Snell and the Tampa Bay Rays are in agreement on a five-year, $50 million contract extension, league sources tell ESPN. The deal runs through Snell's age-30 season and does not include any options.
    that is an absolute steal for TB.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post

wow, that is insane for the Rays

what a deal

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    yah i'm sure his agent isn't too happy he took a bumgarner deal could of waited got well over 100 mil

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Guy is going to get ROCKED this year. ERA over 4.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    yah i'm sure his agent isn't too happy he took a bumgarner deal could of waited got well over 100 mil

its a trade off vs time and injury risk

he had to pitch 3 more full season without getting hurt... he would have only been paid 600k for this year, and in arbitration he would have made around what he is getting in this contract anyways. I think it only adds two years of waiting for free agency.

some guys are more grounded and know they can live a very comfortable life with 50 million, and now he can sleep easy and not worry about any little ache or pain in his shoulder or elbow.