stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Who's your American League Rookie of the Year and AL Cy Young winner?

For AL Rookie of the Year you have to hand it to Shohei Ohtani over the Yankees Miguel Andujar.

Andujar has banged out 24 home runs driving in 87 while batting .301, Ohtani has 20 HR's 55 RBI and battng .290.
    However if you factor in Ohtani has 240 fewer plate appearances Ohtani if you pro rate it to Andujar's 563 plate appearances (Ohtani has 320 PA's) Ohtani's numbers now become 31/86 and .290 is having pretty much the same season on offense, Andujar hitting better for average, Ohtani with the better power numbers.
    Now factor in Ohtani has made 10 starts as a pitcher as well going 4 and 2 so far with an above league average 3.11 ERA and 1.16 WH/IP Ohtani is your clear cut winner.

It's going to be interesting to see who winds up winning the AL Cy Young Award.
    You have Corey Kluber, Chris Sale, and Blake Snell all in the mix.
    (I'm eliminating Justin Verlander, his numbers don't measure up to the other tthre
    Sale is 12 and 4 with an ERA of 1.92 and a WH/IP of 0.84. Has a stellar K per 9 inning rate of 13.3.
    The ERA, WH/IP and K per 9 stats are the best out of any AL pitchers.

Blake Snell is 19 and 5 an ERA of 2.01 and a WH/IP of 0.98 and a K per 9 inning rate of 10.7
    It's worth noting Snell has 13 consecutive starts of allowing 3 earned runs or less.
    Rays have 13 games left to play, Snell starts tomorrow against Texas then 9/23 and against Toronto his last start is scheduled for 9/28 also against Toronto in a home and home.
    Snell has three chances to win one game to become a 20 game winner. I can not see him losing or getting a no decision against the Rangers or Blue Jays.

Corey Kluber is 18 and 7 with an ERA of 2.91 and a WH/IP of 0.97
    Kluber has a K per 9 inning rate of 9.0
    Like Snell, Kluber starts tomorrow then again against the White Sox, 9/23 against the Red Sox and 9/28 against the White Sox again.

Chris Sale may not qualify for ERA title.
    Rules dictate you must have 162.0 innings pitched to qualify.
    Sale has 150.0 innings logged so far. He pitched last night. Sale is scheduled to start 9/22 against the Indians and his final start 9/28 against the Yankees, two teams with big bats. Sale must pitch 12 innings across those two starts to qualify, that's six innings per start. Sale hasn't pitched more than six innings since 7/27 due to a creaky shoulder, Alex Cora stated Sale's next start he'll be on or about a 60 pitch count. His start last night against the Mets was three innings after which one NL advanced scout stated "I wouldn't want to face him in the playoffs" (when
    Sale will be back to 100 pitch count)

If Sale doesn't meet the 162 innings pitch requirement he doesn't get my vote.
    Rules are rules.
    That leaves my decision between Kluber or Snell.

For argument sake give Kluber two wins against the White Sox and either or no decision or loss against the Red Sox.
    That makes Kluber 20 and 8 with an ERA of about 3.00 or so, and a WH/IP of 1.00 or so.

Let's give Snell 2 wins also in his next 3 starts. He'll beat the Blue Jays one of two, and he should beat the Rangers tomorrow night.
    That makes Snell 21 and 6 with an ERA of about 2.05 or so and a WH/IP of about 1.00

One last item, Sale gets 4.96 runs per run support. (Most pitchers would give their left nut for 5 runs of support)
    Kluber gets 5.03 in run support every time he makes a start.
    Snell gets 4.57 runs per support.

If Snell is the only 20 game winner in the majors, he'll win the AL Cy Young going away.
    Not only does Snell do more with less, he'll have more wins than Kluber, better ERA, better K ratio and about the same WH/IP as Kluber.

Blake Snell should be your American League Cy Young Award winner.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

who wins al manager of the year, i say bob melvin wins easy with that payroll and that roster my friend a redsox fan says cora wins it rookie manager best record

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sale will qualify, he's suppose to pitch more innings each start and he pitched 3 innings last start, he'll likely go 6 minimum next start and more after that, the Yankees bats are nothing special with Judge out.

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sale's case for the CY Young is much stronger than Snell's, pitching at Fenway is far harder than pitching at the trop, no comparison, Snell struggled on the road for much of the season.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Snell threw a one hitter through five innings, yielding no runs.
    Kluber coughed up three earned runs in eight innings.

Snell becomes the majors first 20 game winner this year and is your Cy Young award winner.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

So just got informed I’m being drug tested tomorrow. how random do we think this drug test is!?

- Blake Snell

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

Tremendous analysis

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It’s football season pal put down the liquor

pilebuck13

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It’s football season pal put down the liquor

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

pilebuck13

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    kLc you looking for a sports center job pal? Pom!