darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19224

I hate teams that firesale....

...because it's so worthless.

Sometimes it's not a bad idea like when the Astros, who had a terrible team, and firesales a bad team to get a good team. To me, that's okay.
    But, this year, the Washington Nationals did it, and it's gonna hurt them for a long time.

Last year, Detroit Tigers firesaled and they're at least 3 years away from the playoffs(just contending).
    Short read:But there's one thing they won't soon have to upgrade — the turnstiles at Comerica Park. They didn't get much use this year.The Tigers saw a significant drop in attendance in 2018, down nearly a half-million fans from the 2017 season. The drop of 464,629 was the fourth-steepest decline in all of Major League Baseball.

The Tigers, who finished the season 64-98 — fifth-worst in baseball — averaged 23,212 fans for their 81 home games, in the bottom third of MLB teams. That included 80 gates, as there was one traditional doubleheader.

Their total attendance of 1,856,970 was their lowest since 2003; that was the year they lost an American League-record 119 games.
    https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/1513091002

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

That's amazing for a City like Detroit

They should fold or move

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19224

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    That's amazing for a City like Detroit

They should fold or move
    It's not that they should fold, in my opinion. The fans are good fans. But, when you scorn the fans by removing almost all of their beloved good players for prospects that are probably not going to be worth it, why pay cash for AAA talent at the Major League level.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Eh, I don't hate it, I understand why they do it at least.

Sometimes your higher dollar players just don't work out or they want to price you out, and it's either sell them off or be stuck with them longer, which would be worse for the franchise moving forward.

Every team not named the A's has over a 100 million dollar payroll now from what I'd heard, so it's not like they're doing what the Marlins used to do, which was pretty disgusting IMO.

Years of selling off top players are what led to the Astros, Indians, Royals, Braves all making their runs when they did. Some teams can reload, some have amazing GMs and can maintain, some have to get there this way. As long as you get there, that's the end goal, no?

harlee71
    harlee71's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 197

Quote Originally Posted by darrell74 View Post
    It's not that they should fold, in my opinion. The fans are good fans. But, when you scorn the fans by removing almost all of their beloved good players for prospects that are probably not going to be worth it, why pay cash for AAA talent at the Major League level.
    BTW, Thanks for JV! We should be winning WS #2 in a about a month!