• Yes

17 60.71%
  • No

11 39.29%
    LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    What more did you expect a catcher to do??? He has to tag home plate for a force out. Step up 2-3 steps and then gun down the guy heading to 1st.

Chicago player was dirty and shady as fuk.

I'm all about sliding into someone at 2nd base etc.... but you can't slide into the field of play at HOME. That's shady and dirty... I would of beat Rizzo's ass. 100% surprised there wasn't a brawl started.
    Disagree 100%, there is no difference between taking out middle infielder and taking out catcher (while staying in baseline of course), goal of breaking up DP same in both cases. In the old days, there would not have even been an uproar over this, everyone knew it was good, hard baseball.

And on a side note that has nothing to do with the rule interpretation, it is common knowledge that Rizzo is one of the nicest guys in baseball and very well liked by opposing players (at least before yesterday LOL), there was no malicious intent here.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2356

By the way I've met Rizzo twice, and I work with people that interact with him alot in his charitable work (he does a ton of good deed shit, that he makes beat reporters swear they won't talk about too)

He may be a top ten nicest easy going dude i've ever met. let alone a professional athlete.

Guy is a class act all around and what you want your son to grow up to be like.

I don't think he meant any harm. But at the same time, these kind of heat of the moment competive things can ruin careers. Diaz is a rookie essentially and has a promising career ahead of him maybe. I'm sure Anthony would be gut wrenched if the dude had torn an ACL or achilles or worse.

these things aren't like thought out with malice 99% of the time

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    yeah I think the was the powers that be in MLB's reasoning...

he didn't go out of baseline, maybe... (he might have a little) but he clearly deviated his path to purposefully initiate contact

MLB rule 6.01(i) says the "runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate), or otherwise initiate an avoidable collision." Rizzo, clearly, deviated from his path to initiate an avoidable collision. Was it a dirty slide? I'm not sure. Was it against the rules? For sure.
    Was there a change in the rules? I have always thought that as long as you can touch the base, it was not considered "deviating", so technically you should be able to change course a bit as long as you remain within body length of base.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Disagree 100%, there is no difference between taking out middle infielder and taking out catcher

there is a difference according to the rules to protect catchers....

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Was there a change in the rules? I have always thought that as long as you can touch the base, it was not considered "deviating", so technically you should be able to change course a bit as long as you remain within body length of base.
    yes there was a change in the rules directly related to home plate

LT Profits

there is a difference according to the rules to protect catchers....

yes there was a change in the rules directly related to home plate
    Pussies. I miss the good old days when this was the norm, but oh well.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

its not about baseline's otherwise the rule would be stated that way. they purposefully left it open to interpretation.

just like an ump sometimes has to interpret whether a pitcher purposefully intended to throw a pitch at a baseball and eject the pitcher

or a player purposefully did not get out of way of a pitched ball and not award the batter the base.

an ump can interpret that a runner ran 5-7 feet out of his direct line (deviated his DIRECT pathway) and interpret that he initiated a collusion.

the key word and main question from the wording of the rule as written.

Was the contact by Rizzo avoidable?

if so, then Rizzo deviated to initiate contact with the catcher

=illegal

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23912

The best was when AJ P trucked Barrett and Barrett threw a blow and all hell broke loose.

AJ was fired up!

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18704

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Clearly dirty

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Clearly dirty
    More "illegal" based on new wording of rule than "dirty". Rizzo touched the plate, so would have been clean by old rule.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Disagree 100%, there is no difference between taking out middle infielder and taking out catcher (while staying in baseline of course), goal of breaking up DP same in both cases. In the old days, there would not have even been an uproar over this, everyone knew it was good, hard baseball.

And on a side note that has nothing to do with the rule interpretation, it is common knowledge that Rizzo is one of the nicest guys in baseball and very well liked by opposing players (at least before yesterday LOL), there was no malicious intent here.
    LT... Look at the photo above. Illegal = dirty. Rizzo knows better. I played catcher in little league and in high school. I would of fukked Rizzo up. Piazza would of fukked Rizzo up.

What makes it different???? All ethics... A guy coming hard in at 2nd... you know it's coming. A catcher "STEPPING UP" shouldn't get drilled after he throws the ball. If he's standing right on Home... different story. But look how far he's up?

Absolutely DIRTY AND DISGRACEFUL.

LT Profits

LT... Look at the photo above. Illegal = dirty. Rizzo knows better. I played catcher in little league and in high school. I would of fukked Rizzo up. Piazza would of fukked Rizzo up.

What makes it different???? All ethics... A guy coming hard in at 2nd... you know it's coming. A catcher "STEPPING UP" shouldn't get drilled after he throws the ball. If he's standing right on Home... different story. But look how far he's up?

Photo proved nothing as he touched the plate. But again, they changed the rule and it became illegal as soon as he veered left, you can't fight City Hall. But he basically did what he was taught growing up when this was considered good hard slide.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Well done Diggity, you have identified the oysters of sbr

Exactly the people I thought

LT Profits

Even the umpires used the original rule interpretation. The reason they gave for not overturning call on the field was that Rizzo touched the plate.

And "dirty and disgraceful" is way over the top for a guy simply doing what he has always been taught to do since Little League. Besides, as has been mentioned, Rizzo is one of the nicest guys in the game.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Pussies. I miss the good old days when this was the norm, but oh well.
    Word
    This was a good, hard baseball play. If you disagree, you most likely never played. Or you were a pitcher only.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

It was kind of funny seeing Javy Baez yapping at the opposing pitcher yesterday, after the pitcher, Musgrove slid hard into 2nd to break up a double play.

the pitcher turned around to talk to Javy, and once all 6'6 265 of him was face to face with Javy. Javy wisely decided to cool his jets and they ended up shaking hands...

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

First 12