Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Trevor Bauer Implies That Astros Pitchers Are Cheating

Indians starting pitcher Trevor Bauer isn't shy about creating controversy on Twitter. In his latest episode, he comes pretty close to accusing the Astros pitching staff of cheating. He dances around it some, insinuates it some, but in totality, it's pretty clear that's the spin.

If only there was just a really quick way to increase spin rate. Like what if you could trade for a player knowing that you could bump his spin rate a couple hundred rpm overnight...imagine the steals you could get on the trade market! If only that existed...

Vague, but it's clear there's a sarcastic implication in here. Astros starter Lance McCullers took umbrage.

Jealousy isn’t a good look on you my man. You have great stuff and have worked hard for it, like the rest of us, no need for this. I will ask though because my spin rate and spin axis on my 4 seem is a$$.

As noted, though Bauer doesn't straight up say, "the Astros are cheating," the totality of the message is just that. He's saying Astros pitchers are using sticky, foreign substances to increase their spin rate, which helps with breaking stuff and velocity, among other things. Let's take a look.

With fastballs, Justin Verlander is first in spin rate among starting pitchers. On curveballs, Charlie Morton is second among qualified starters after Garrett Richards while Verlander is in the top 10.

We've also seen players make pretty big leaps once joining the Astros or getting together with the forward-thinking front office.

Through April, the Astros lead the majors in rotation ERA by a pretty big margin (2.54 with the Diamondbacks at 2.96 and no one else below 3.20).

Fire in da hole
    Fire in da hole's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1120

that pussy is just jeally AF

If you are going to say someone is cheating, say how they are doing it

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Bauer is a fukkin' moron. He was kicked off the Dbacks because he has to put on a show and do an hour and a half warm up where he throws the ball all over the park, does yoga, and makes fukkin' balloon animals.
    Points Awarded:

Ralphie Halves gave El Nino 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

They all cheat.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Astros probably lose next time Verlander pitches.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

If you ain't cheating you ain't winning

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by gummo View Post
    They all cheat.
    I doubt all do but there is definitely a few on every team so Bauer should keep his opinions to himself on this subject. Could very well expose himself.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Trevor Bauer put out the following tweet:

BASEBALL FANS: I have proposed that Alex Bregman come to @drivelinebases and face me in live ABs. I will donate $4,206.9 to his charity of choice for every homerun he hits off me. We would be micd up the whole time. Is that content you would be interested in seeing?

danwinkler
    danwinkler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Breaking news: Astros pitchers finger their girlfriends/wives using the three middle fingers of their pitching hand before each start.

Its all natural so move along Bauer.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

12/1/1964: The HSA officially changes the name of the ballclub from the Colt .45s to the Astros. The Colt Firearms Co. had been pushing for a share of the profits from the sale of Colt .45s-branded merchandise.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

i really wouldnt doubt it. morton shoulda been pitching in single A before

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Texas State University senior Nikki Giles told USA TODAY Sports that she has reported Indians pitcher Trevor Bauer to the team several times for repeated "harassment" but no avail.

Bauer had mentioned the college student in 80 different tweets as of Tuesday after the two exchanged then-seemingly-playful jabs on Twitter on Saturday night.

Giles's exchange with Bauer started when she tweeted that Bauer was her "least favorite person in all sports" in response to the Indians' pitcher attempt to make fun of Houston Astros third baseman Alex Bregman, who is Giles's favorite player.

Bauer responded to Giles by welcoming her “to the fan club.” The two went back and forth in an exchange that culminated with Giles mentioning that Bauer doesn’t have a World Series ring, which is when exchange turned more hostile.

After Giles's dig, Bauer scrolled through the senior's old tweets and publicized several of them.

"He went almost a year back into my Twitter to find a tweet about me drinking two months before my 21st birthday and exposed it to his followers," Giles told USA Today.

Bauer kept tweeting at Giles even after she stopped responding. By Sunday, Bauer had tagged Giles in 12 tweets.

The harassment continued into Sunday night and Bauer began again first thing Monday morning by providing Giles with a "tutorial" on how to block someone on Twitter and accusing her of being "obsessed" with him.

By Tuesday, Bauer had tweeted at Giles 80 times which prompted her to block the 27-year-old pitcher.

“He blamed me for ‘continuously tweeting him,’” Giles told USA TODAY. "[That] makes zero sense because he had tagged me in over 40 tweets, which is over 10x as many tweets I mentioned him in.”

She continued: "I eventually unblocked him when someone brought to my attention that he had tagged me in 30 more tweets in responses. And when I said I felt harassed, he continued to tweet things like this claiming that I was responding to him because 'I like him.' ”

When another Twitter user said Giles "likes" Bauer, the Indians' player responded by writing, "She conducts herself as someone who does but doesn’t know how to express it." Several other Twitter users sent direct messages to Giles.

“It has definitely ruined my last three days,” Giles said, per USA Today. “I have cried daily and called my family crying because the first 12-24 hours or so I was getting a lot of hate.”

Bauer's agent declined to comment to USA Today. Giles said she has not received any responses from the Indians or Twitter.