Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

No decision from Clemens as signing deadline looms

DALLAS -- Roger Clemens hasn't decided if he will pitch next season, again leaving the Houston Astros in a bind as they plan for 2006.

"Today, he would retire if he had to make the decision," Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, said Monday at baseball's winter meetings.

Hendricks added that the seven-time Cy Young Award winner, who hobbled off the mound after only two innings in Game 2 of the World Series against the Chicago White Sox because of a strained left hamstring, probably won't make a decision until late January or early February.

The Astros have until Wednesday night to sign Clemens or offer him salary arbitration. Otherwise, he would not be able to re-sign with them before May 1.

"It's the same situation we were in last year where we were uncertain as to when we would get an answer," Houston general manager Tim Purpura said. "It puts us at somewhat of a disadvantage to build our club."

It's a bigger problem for the Astros this offseason because of an already escalating payroll without even counting Clemens, who made $18 million last season. After being offered salary arbitration, he reached that deal on Jan. 21, only about a month before the start of spring training.

Andy Pettitte, Roy Oswalt, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio and Lance Berkman are scheduled to make about $65 million in 2006, up from about $45 million last year. The Astros also have six players eligible for arbitration, including closer Brad Lidge and cleanup hitter Morgan Ensberg.

"We have to go about our business," Purpura said, adding that the team still has not decided whether to offer arbitration to Clemens. "Certainly, we'd love to have Roger aboard. There's no doubt about it. We also understand his thought process, what he's going through to try to make this decision."

The 43-year-old Clemens had problems with his back and hamstring last season. He is determined to pitch for the United States in the World Baseball Classic next March -- even in a limited role, Hendricks said.

But that doesn't mean the Rocket will return to Houston.

"I think his commitment to the World Classic is intriguing," Purpura said. "That gives me some indication that he thinks that he's got something left that he can go out and participate in that."

Clemens led the major leagues with a career-low 1.87 ERA last season, going 13-8. He finished third in NL Cy Young Award balloting behind Chris Carpenter and Dontrelle Willis.

"There's no animosity. It's just been a magical two years. As I said to the Astros, I don't think we owe each other anything other than thanks," Hendricks said. "His timetable is not the same as theirs."

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think we all know he will be back for another season. it's just a matter of time before he makes his announcement.