Clutchut12
    Clutchut12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

ROY Hobbs Struck out

This is why i dont read and just watch the Movies. Last question of my trivia today was in the novel the Natural what did Roy Hobbs do in his last at bat. I Never ever read the book but it is my favorite sports movie ever so i kind of figured it was a trick question but i still put hit a walkoff and low and behold this fker Roy struck out. Unreal dumbass Author

Hugh Madbrough
    Hugh Madbrough's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 228

Saw the movie on Saturday Morning 2AM (I suffer from insomnia). He had a full count on his last at bat. The bat broke he asked the kid to pick him out a winner. Hobbs was bleeding. Catcher went to the 1st pitch. In the movie he walked it off. Hit the lights and sparked up the whole stadium like fireworks. Once he touched the plate the scene cuts to him being in the farm playing catch with his son while his baby momma watches or is putting clothes to dry. Good movie, now I just need to watch the beginning.

Clutchut12

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post
    Saw the movie on Saturday Morning 2AM (I suffer from insomnia). He had a full count on his last at bat. The bat broke he asked the kid to pick him out a winner. Hobbs was bleeding. Catcher went to the 1st pitch. In the movie he walked it off. Hit the lights and sparked up the whole stadium like fireworks. Once he touched the plate the scene cuts to him being in the farm playing catch with his son while his baby momma watches or is putting clothes to dry. Good movie, now I just need to watch the beginning.
    U never seen the whole movie? Damn greatest ever ,but fuk the book

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Quote Originally Posted by Clutchut12 View Post
    This is why i dont read and just watch the Movies. Last question of my trivia today was in the novel the Natural what did Roy Hobbs do in his last at bat. I Never ever read the book but it is my favorite sports movie ever so i kind of figured it was a trick question but i still put hit a walkoff and low and behold this fker Roy struck out. Unreal dumbass Author

now the bryce harper comparison makes sense

Clutchut12

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post
    now the bryce harper comparison makes sense
    Lolol true

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

that's awesome i have seen natural prob over 100 times read the book too i guess they were going to make the movie just like the book but test audiences hated it so they changed the ending, what question was that number 2 or number 3 for trivia

Clutchut12

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    that's awesome i have seen natural prob over 100 times read the book too i guess they were going to make the movie just like the book but test audiences hated it so they changed the ending, what question was that number 2 or number 3 for trivia
    It was 3, i was pissed lol

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

just case....

in Roy Hobb's first MLB ab what did he do?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

also of interest

book was inspired by a real life pyscho chick that shot an MLB player

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...e-in-obscurity

MUST READS

Stalker Who Inspired 'The Natural' Dies; Lived Real Life In Obscurity

Listen·4:114:11Queue

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Flipboard
    • Email

March 18, 201311:50 AM ET
    Heard on All Things Considered

MARK MEMMOTT
    Twitter

Ruth Ann Steinhagen, then-19, in the Cook County Jail after she shot Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Eddie Waitkus in 1949. On the table: a photo of Waitkus taken in the hospital where he was recovering from his bullet wound. The story of his shooting was the inspiration for Bernard Malamud's novel The Natural. Steinhagen died this past December.

/AP

Though we've seen The Natural many times, we have to confess we didn't know that a real woman shot a real baseball player in 1949 and that their story inspired Bernard Malamud's 1952 book and Robert Redford's 1984 movie.
    But over the weekend, obituaries appeared about Ruth Ann Steinhagen, 83, who "disappeared into near obscurity" as the Chicago Tribune says and died last Dec. 29 with little notice.
    It wasn't until the Tribune was searching records for another story that it discovered the one-time "femme fatale" had died.
    The Associated Press recaps Steinhagen's real-life crime, which happend when she was 19, this way:
    "The story began with what appeared to be just another young woman's crush on Eddie Waitkus, the Chicago Cubs' handsome first baseman. So complete was this crush that the teenager set a place for Waitkus, whom she'd never met, at the family dinner table. She turned her bedroom into a shrine to him, and put his photo under her pillow.
    "After the 1948 season, Waitkus was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies — a fateful turn. "When he went to the Phillies, that's when she decided to kill him," [author John] Theodore said in an interview.
    "Steinhagen had her chance the next season, when the Phillies came to Chicago to play the Cubs at Wrigley Field. She checked into a room at the Edgewater Beach Hotel where he was staying and invited him to her room.
    " 'We're not acquainted, but I have something of importance to speak to you about,' she wrote in a note to him after a game at Wrigley on June 14, 1949.
    "It worked. Waitkus arrived at her room. After he sat down, Steinhagen walked to a closet, said, 'I have a surprise for you,' then turned with the rifle she had hidden there and shot him in the chest."
    Waitkus — like Redford's character — survived. He would go on to play again the next season and and all or part of five more seasons after that. He died in 1972.
    Steinhagen was judged to be insane and spent nearly three years in a state hospital where she "underwent electroconvulsive therapy to alter the chemical balance in her brain, as well as hydrotherapy and occupational therapy," the Tribune writes. Eventually considered to be cured, she was released and never tried for the shooting. Steinhagen settled in with her parents and a sister on Chicago's Northwest side. Over the years, the parents and sister died. It isn't known for sure if Steinhagen held any type of job. She never spoke publicly about the shooting, according to the Tribune.
    According to the newspaper, "she died Dec. 29 at Swedish Covenant Hospital of a subdural hematoma caused by an accidental fall in her longtime home, a Cook County medical examiner spokeswoman said."
    In the movie, the femme fatale was played by actress Barbara Hershey and her character commits suicide after shooting Redford's character, Roy Hobbs. The year isn't 1949 in the reel version of the story — it's the 1930s. And Hobbs isn't an established major leaguer like Waitkus when he's shot. He's a young phenom — "the natural" — who has his best years robbed from him, but returns 15 years later to lead the "New York Knights" to the top of the standings. There's much more to the plot, of course: A bat with a lightning bolt; and old love who comes back into Hobbs' life; a son he never knew about; an evil team owner.
    The climax comes when Hobbs hits a long home run into the stadium lights (supposedly in New York City but actually filmed at Buffalo's since-demolished War Memorial Stadium). With lights exploding, he rounds the bases.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

u should of known question 3 wouldn't be so easy, i have yet to get a 3rd question right and they are always hard

Clutchut12

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    just case....

in Roy Hobb's first MLB ab what did he do?
    He knocked the cover off the ball in the movie, but hell in the book probably hit a routine grounder to first. Nice lil read though didnt know that was a true story,that crazybbitch that shot that phillys player looks nutz

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 332

Nothing worse than a movie that ends on a bad note. I look to movie entertainment to be inspired, not more depressed than when I walked in. Glad they did "The Bad News Bears In Breaking Training". That little team deserved to end a movie on a winning note.

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    also of interest

book was inspired by a real life pyscho chick that shot an MLB player

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...e-in-obscurity

MUST READS

Stalker Who Inspired 'The Natural' Dies; Lived Real Life In Obscurity

Listen·4:114:11Queue

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Flipboard
    • Email

March 18, 201311:50 AM ET
    Heard on All Things Considered

MARK MEMMOTT
    Twitter

Ruth Ann Steinhagen, then-19, in the Cook County Jail after she shot Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Eddie Waitkus in 1949. On the table: a photo of Waitkus taken in the hospital where he was recovering from his bullet wound. The story of his shooting was the inspiration for Bernard Malamud's novel The Natural. Steinhagen died this past December.

/AP

Though we've seen The Natural many times, we have to confess we didn't know that a real woman shot a real baseball player in 1949 and that their story inspired Bernard Malamud's 1952 book and Robert Redford's 1984 movie.
    But over the weekend, obituaries appeared about Ruth Ann Steinhagen, 83, who "disappeared into near obscurity" as the Chicago Tribune says and died last Dec. 29 with little notice.
    It wasn't until the Tribune was searching records for another story that it discovered the one-time "femme fatale" had died.
    The Associated Press recaps Steinhagen's real-life crime, which happend when she was 19, this way:
    "The story began with what appeared to be just another young woman's crush on Eddie Waitkus, the Chicago Cubs' handsome first baseman. So complete was this crush that the teenager set a place for Waitkus, whom she'd never met, at the family dinner table. She turned her bedroom into a shrine to him, and put his photo under her pillow.
    "After the 1948 season, Waitkus was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies — a fateful turn. "When he went to the Phillies, that's when she decided to kill him," [author John] Theodore said in an interview.
    "Steinhagen had her chance the next season, when the Phillies came to Chicago to play the Cubs at Wrigley Field. She checked into a room at the Edgewater Beach Hotel where he was staying and invited him to her room.
    " 'We're not acquainted, but I have something of importance to speak to you about,' she wrote in a note to him after a game at Wrigley on June 14, 1949.
    "It worked. Waitkus arrived at her room. After he sat down, Steinhagen walked to a closet, said, 'I have a surprise for you,' then turned with the rifle she had hidden there and shot him in the chest."
    Waitkus — like Redford's character — survived. He would go on to play again the next season and and all or part of five more seasons after that. He died in 1972.
    Steinhagen was judged to be insane and spent nearly three years in a state hospital where she "underwent electroconvulsive therapy to alter the chemical balance in her brain, as well as hydrotherapy and occupational therapy," the Tribune writes. Eventually considered to be cured, she was released and never tried for the shooting. Steinhagen settled in with her parents and a sister on Chicago's Northwest side. Over the years, the parents and sister died. It isn't known for sure if Steinhagen held any type of job. She never spoke publicly about the shooting, according to the Tribune.
    According to the newspaper, "she died Dec. 29 at Swedish Covenant Hospital of a subdural hematoma caused by an accidental fall in her longtime home, a Cook County medical examiner spokeswoman said."
    In the movie, the femme fatale was played by actress Barbara Hershey and her character commits suicide after shooting Redford's character, Roy Hobbs. The year isn't 1949 in the reel version of the story — it's the 1930s. And Hobbs isn't an established major leaguer like Waitkus when he's shot. He's a young phenom — "the natural" — who has his best years robbed from him, but returns 15 years later to lead the "New York Knights" to the top of the standings. There's much more to the plot, of course: A bat with a lightning bolt; and old love who comes back into Hobbs' life; a son he never knew about; an evil team owner.
    The climax comes when Hobbs hits a long home run into the stadium lights (supposedly in New York City but actually filmed at Buffalo's since-demolished War Memorial Stadium). With lights exploding, he rounds the bases.
    She could have fuked him but she shot him what a bitch

Hugh Madbrough

There's something sexy about her though, yao ming. Ala Jodi Arias. Would you brahs hit?

Clutchut12

There's something sexy about her though, yao ming. Ala Jodi Arias. Would you brahs hit?
    Ya might even take a bullet to hit it

Hugh Madbrough

Ya might even take a bullet to hit it
    Jodi had a banging body. Been watching the mini series.

Clutchut12

Jodi had a banging body. Been watching the mini series.

Lol she did, i might take gettin stabbed 100 times for that cat!

Hugh Madbrough

Lol she did, i might take gettin stabbed 100 times for that cat!
    She just wanted oh boi to be faithful and get married. She switched religions for him. Meanwhile this bish Dalia hired a hitman to kill her husband, got pregnant while being locked up and started dating her lawyer while on trial.