success27
    success27's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 288

Hedge a $1,000 bet or nah? Thoughts?

I have a $1,000 on Dodgers +240 to win the series. I placed the bet before game 6.

I'm wondering what the best way to hedge this is. Should I bet some on Houston +150 and guarantee myself a profit? Should I wait for a live bet to get better odds on Houston?

Thanks in advance you degens!

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

I have the same bet, a bit more at stake. Not hedging. I'm a gambler. Don't care about 500 bucks. Not gonna change my life in any way.

slapshot81
    Update your status
    slapshot81's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by success27 View Post
    I have a $1,000 on Dodgers +240 to win the series. I placed the bet before game 6.

I'm wondering what the best way to hedge this is. Should I bet some on Houston +150 and guarantee myself a profit? Should I wait for a live bet to get better odds on Houston?

would say wait for live bet is bad idea astros could jump on yu 1st inning for 4 runs then ur odds are toast is 1k bet alot to u or a regular amount if ur a 100 bettor maybe hedge guarantee profit if 1000 is normal bet ur sitting in great shape just depends what kind of player u are no right or wrong answer

7deuceoff$uit
    7deuceoff$uit's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 412

Maybe throw 1500 on stros+1.5 to at least cover the 1k. U profit 900 if dodgers win by2+, or hit both on the middle.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 181

For once I actually agree with Goatmilk. Why hedge? I have a series bet on Astros and will not hedge. Good luck, one of us will cash tonight.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

depends on your bankroll

success27

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot81 View Post
    would say wait for live bet is bad idea astros could jump on yu 1st inning for 4 runs then ur odds are toast is 1k bet alot to u or a regular amount if ur a 100 bettor maybe hedge guarantee profit if 1000 is normal bet ur sitting in great shape just depends what kind of player u are no right or wrong answer
    I'm a $100-$400 kind of guy. $1,000 would be about 10% of my bankroll for the year. I did make $1,000 last night in NBA/MLB so I might just let it ride, or try to get Houston +1.5 for a decent middle incase we have a walk off or something lol

success27

Quote Originally Posted by 7deuceoff$uit View Post
    Maybe throw 1500 on stros+1.5 to at least cover the 1k. U profit 900 if dodgers win by2+, or hit both on the middle.
    Damn. Can't believe I didn't even think about this. Thanks for your two cents!

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Reasonable call,is to hedge!!....You are looking at "free money"....if it were me,I would hedge about 25-40% of the wager.......But realize you....will be be a little pissed,if L.A. wins. But that is OK....cause no matter what,this game 7 will make you money................................... ........................gl

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

let it ride. if anything take Astros live. will probably get a better number

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

If the amount you are guaranteed to win through hedging is a life changing amount for you, or quite significant, then go ahead and hedge. Statistically it's rarely worth it but stats is just one part of the equation.

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

I can understand hedging if u made a futures bet at the beginning of the season, but these odds are just +240. If u are wanting to hedge with this u should have just bet less.

success27

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    If the amount you are guaranteed to win through hedging is a life changing amount for you, or quite significant, then go ahead and hedge. Statistically it's rarely worth it but stats is just one part of the equation.
    Thankfully $1,000 is not life changing money but it would be 10% of my bankroll. I might just reach down, grab em, and take a risk. #Dodgers

PeterJohnson
    Sharpest Of The Sharp!
    PeterJohnson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 77

DO NOT HEDGE

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Astros lose by 1 or win IMO

KickShootThrow
    Make SBR Sharp Again!
    KickShootThrow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 277

bet a lil on houston -1.5...

i think houston wins world series

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Quote Originally Posted by KickShootThrow View Post
    bet a lil on houston -1.5...

i think houston wins world series
    Would that be called a polish middle?

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

I am letting it ride

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

TLDR I say let it ride. Hedging is for pusssies

hawkeye 16
    Update your status
    hawkeye 16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10404

If it's 10% of your bankroll, I'd hedge a little +1.5 at the best price you can get. You can hedge a little, but still have a decent shot at a middle. Especially with LA at home and a low total. Good shot at a 3-2, 2-1 game, or any one run Dodgers win for that matter. It just depends on how much of a gambler you are.

El Sol
    El Sol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

Answer to this is simple.

If you want to bet on sports Professionally, never Hedge as you're looking at the long term. You're essentially losing your edge against the house and giving them free money.

If you're a Recreational player and winning is the rush you're looking for. This would fall in the the short term view of wagering and hedge every time so you have more money to feed your addiction. If you're hedging, follow the advive here and take Houston +1.5

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3329

Quote Originally Posted by El Sol View Post

If you want to bet on sports Professionally, never Hedge as you're looking at the long term. You're essentially losing your edge against the house and giving them free money.

If you're a Recreational player and winning is the rush you're looking for. This would fall in the the short term view of wagering and hedge every time so you have more money to feed your addiction.
    This

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

If you're a Recreational player and winning is the rush you're looking for. This would fall in the the short term view of wagering and hedge every time so you have more money to feed your addiction. If you're hedging, follow the advive here and take Houston +1.5
    Yep, I agree. Gotta consider individual circumstances. Anything less than $10k I'd let it ride because the amount would not be life altering to me, but that doesn't mean $500 or $1000 isn't a huge amount to OP. In that case, he's gotta take the certain winnings. If I had a $250,000 parlay and on the final bet, I'd certainly hedge a profit because I could walk away with $20,000 and thats a lot of money to me. Gotta do whats best for my fam, not what sharp posters consider the right thing to do based on gaming theory.

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

I understand that there was value in hedging only because the dodgers ended up being a lot bigger faves in game 7 than initially thought but why even make this bet if you planned on hedging just bet them game 6.

success27

I didn't hedge. No regrets though.

Thank you folks for all your input!
    Here's to a sick game 7 come back for the ages!

PeterJohnson
    Sharpest Of The Sharp!
    PeterJohnson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 77

Gl man would be EPIC 6 innings still to play.

I didn't hedge. No regrets though.

Thank you folks for all your input!
    Here's to a sick game 7 come back for the ages!

DJK
    Gee Joon/Teen Bo Guaranteed Winner
    DJK's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7935

I wish I would have searched and read this before I hedged all my bets for the past four weekends as I lost every single one of my hedge bets and gave up thousands in free money on my football bets. But no regrets since as soon as I stop hedging, I'm sure I will lose the bet on the final leg. I didn't hedge for the first time on this past MNF where I had Tennessee +10.5 as the last leg of my bet and won.

ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

The opposite is generally true lol but people read this nonsense is some book that tells you to wager every wager same amount and think it’s the correct answer