Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    what would he hit today if he was a rookie in 2017?

.285? maybe lower? higher?
    Higher. No chance he bats .285

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Higher. No chance he bats .285
    why no chance? its a lot tougher to hit now

Cuse0323

why no chance? its a lot tougher to hit now
    I just doubt that one of the greatest hitters of all time bats .285

No matter the era. He knew how to put the barrel on the ball. Hell, he may have hit better these days. Less work to get some juice on a hit. Use the velocity to get a hit, or homerun.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    no way, not even close
    The human body is only capable of so much.

The pitchers threw just as hard, the runners were just as fast and the hitters just as strong.

Sprinters today are the same speed, within a tenth of a second, as they were 100 years ago.

All the strength training in the world can't make the human body do anything unnatural in a more efficient manner.

Bob Feller, Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale, goose Gossage, Walter Johnson are all comparable to Chapman, Ryan, Verlander, etc

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11600

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    John Wayne is said to have modeled his swagger walk from Ted Williams
    That is awesome.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

I just doubt that one of the greatest hitters of all time bats .285

No matter the era. He knew how to put the barrel on the ball. Hell, he may have hit better these days. Less work to get some juice on a hit. Use the velocity to get a hit, or homerun.
    I guess so. I was just reading that bob feller was clocked at 107 mph I call bullshit on that but okay.
    The stuff couldn't be as good as today the game evolves but okay.

its hard to take players from different eras and do this. Guys are bigger stronger faster in every sport.

Cuse0323

I guess so. I was just reading that bob feller was clocked at 107 mph I call bullshit on that but okay.

its hard to take players from different eras and do this. Guys are bigger stronger faster in every sport.
    It's a pointless argument, in the end. Can't take away what people accomplished because the game progessed. I think Babe Ruth was a fat bum, but he was one of the best fat bums in his day. Can't take away from those that did well in their day. Tony Gwynn was amazing. He wasn't all that athletic, but knew how to hit the ball. Same with Ted.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2344

also just a WAY bigger pool of talent of bigger stronger faster players with more specialization

Big Leagues with no Blacks, Hispanics, Asians ect.

we got about 2 billion more people in world, and a higher % playing the game of baseball at a younger age.

Hitters benefitted from getting to see the same pitchers so many more times.

look at today's hitting stats when players get to see a pitcher for a 3rd or 4th time in a game. they sky rocket. back in the day, pitchers threw a complete game almost every game. Reliever sucked

there were 8 teams in NL and 8 teams in AL

imagine facing the same 7 teams, over and over and over again... no interleague ect.

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    also just a WAY bigger pool of talent of bigger stronger faster players with more specialization

Big Leagues with no Blacks, Hispanics, Asians ect.

we got about 2 billion more people in world, and a higher % playing the game of baseball at a younger age.

Hitters benefitted from getting to see the same pitchers so many more times.

look at today's hitting stats when players get to see a pitcher for a 3rd or 4th time in a game. they sky rocket. back in the day, pitchers threw a complete game almost every game. Reliever sucked

there were 8 teams in NL and 8 teams in AL

imagine facing the same 7 teams, over and over and over again... no interleague ect.
    I think it evens out though

Players back then didn't get to fly 1st class and sleep in suites. They played double headers all the time, sac flies counted for batting avg., and most of them lost years in WWII and Korea.

As far as comparing athletes back then to today, I don't think there is near the difference as in a sport like football or basketball compared to earlier football or basketball players. The skills needed in baseball aren't easily improved in the weight room. Time and time again I've seen the very best football and basketball players look like drunken fools while trying to play baseball, but that's almost never the case vice versa.

Dr. Fager
    Update your status
    Dr. Fager's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7167

Home run last at bat in a far from sold out Fenway.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Can you imagine if the players back then had the facilities and technology to train with like they do today?
    Last edited by Kermit; 10-14-17 at 09:35 PM.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Yeah, I know. Just let Mayan be, and post his nonsense. No point in feeding the little troll. Guy is like 5 foot nothing, lives a good life, but acts like his people are oppressed while he enjoys the luxury life in the USA.
    Suck a fat dick you privileged druggie

First 12