Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Astros Need To Forget About Trading For A Starting Pitcher

There is nothing out there worth trading their prospects for. Quintana, Gray, Teheran, and Verlander are not worth the price. They have several pitchers on their farm that can keep this franchise going for years after Keuchel and McCullers eventually go for their big contracts down the line. Morton, Keuchel, and McHugh are going to be well rested come playoff time. If anything, they might need to get a reliever or two, since their bullpen has been gassed for the last month.

Unless Bumgarner or deGrom become available, the Astros just need to stand pat.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 362

Can't win in the postseaon with just BATS

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    This.
    Baseball starts and ends with pitching.
    Good pitching will always beat good hitting.
    (with a few exceptions) teams don't win with a 'all hit, no pitch' roster

2010 Giants couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag.
    The Koufax Dodgers had next to no offense.
    1966 Dodgers didn't even have a .290 hitter in their lineup.

Even the Big Red Machine had good starters.
    Bash brothers A's are the only team I can think of that won with bats. (and they got upset by the Reds)

Pitching and defense wins.

Astros need to sure up the rotation and the bullpen.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Paulino should be rested too after he was busted for roids

morton, McCullers, Keuchel always hurt.

wouldnt shock me if they get Cueto. He's almost guaranteed to be dealt

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

SAN FRANCISCO — The Giants would not admit it, but there was an important reason to get Johnny Cueto back on the mound Sunday, three days after he was scratched with an ear infection. If Bobby Evans is to include Cueto’s name in trade talks over the next three weeks, the right-hander needs to prove he’s healthy and on his game.

In that respect, the final game of the first half was a disaster.

Cueto walked six and left with the bases loaded in the seventh inning. He was charged with six runs in a 10-8 extra-innings loss to the Marlins.

Cueto finished the first half with a 4.51 ERA and 1.37 WHIP. A year ago those numbers were 2.47 and 0.99, earning him an All-Star start. His home run rate is more than double what it was a year ago and his walk rate is up by a point. His velocity is down on all of his pitches.

The questions have flipped after a poor first half. It is no longer, “Would the Giants trade Cueto?” and “Will he opt out?” Now, team officials are wondering, “Can we even trade him?” and “Would he even want to opt out after the way this season has gone?”

Scouts have descended on AT&T Park in recent weeks. Many have come away with the impression that Cueto is not throwing well enough to make him tradable given the complications of his contract. He can walk away from any new team at the end of the season, but if he gets hurt that team would be on the hook for the remaining $84 million on his deal. It’s a risk, and it’s hard to find the team that would take it on before the July 31 deadline.

By Alex Pavlovic

stevenash

^
    As a Royals fan let me be the first to tell you Johnny Cueto is a big time, big game pitcher.
    It's if he really doesn't give a shit about the regular season, give him the ball in prime time though, he's lights out.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3447

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    This.
    Baseball starts and ends with pitching.
    Good pitching will always beat good hitting.
    (with a few exceptions) teams don't win with a 'all hit, no pitch' roster

2010 Giants couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag.
    The Koufax Dodgers had next to no offense.
    1966 Dodgers didn't even have a .290 hitter in their lineup.

Even the Big Red Machine had good starters.
    Bash brothers A's are the only team I can think of that won with bats. (and they got upset by the Reds)

Pitching and defense wins.

Astros need to sure up the rotation and the bullpen.
    At the same time you need clutch hitting to go along with it,seen so many teams that rely on the long ball all year and once they get to the playoffs their screwed because they aren't good at playing small ball.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    At the same time you need clutch hitting to go along with it,seen so many teams that rely on the long ball all year and once they get to the playoffs their screwed because they aren't good at playing small ball.
    Great point.

The art of the hit and run has vanished.
    Nobody plays small ball anymore.

The ideal lineup still remains

1) Speedy high OBA man
    2) A good stick man. A guy who knows how to play hit and run, or run and hit if you will.
    A guy who knows how to poke the ball to a vacated hole if the 1) speedy high OBA guy in in motion.
    3) A good contact guy with power.
    4) Your big bopper, your HR guy.
    5) see #3
    6) and 7) you can play around with
    8) Your weak hit, good glove guy.

One other point.
    If you have solid up the middle defense you're always in it.
    Catcher - 2B - SS- CF
    Good up the middle defense saves runs, a lot of them.
    Who were the great super teams of the past 40 years?

The Big Red Machine had gold up the middle.
    Bench, Morgan, Concepcion and Geronimo.

1984 Tigers.

Parish, Whitaker, Trammell, and Lemon.
    Three won gold and Lemon got ripped off of a gold glove.

Ask Dan Petry and Milt Wilcox if they appreciated those four gloves behind him?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: packerd_00

packerd_00

Great point.

The art of the hit and run has vanished.
    Nobody plays small ball anymore.

The ideal lineup still remains

1) Speedy high OBA man
    2) A good stick man. A guy who knows how to play hit and run, or run and hit if you will.
    A guy who knows how to poke the ball to a vacated hole if the 1) speedy high OBA guy in in motion.
    3) A good contact guy with power.
    4) Your big bopper, your HR guy.
    5) see #3
    6) and 7) you can play around with
    8) Your weak hit, good glove guy.

One other point.
    If you have solid up the middle defense you're always in it.
    Catcher - 2B - SS- CF
    Good up the middle defense saves runs, a lot of them.
    Who were the great super teams of the past 40 years?

The Big Red Machine had gold up the middle.
    Bench, Morgan, Concepcion and Geronimo.

1984 Tigers.

Parish, Whitaker, Trammell, and Lemon.
    Three won gold and Lemon got ripped off of a gold glove.

Ask Dan Petry and Milt Wilcox if they appreciated those four gloves behind him?

Chet Lemon theirs a name I haven't heard inawhile,the Royals won their WS pretty much on small ball,when they made the big comeback on the Astros they did it by just making timely hits,moving the chains and just chipping away.

Great Super teams,thats a good question,the Jays teams of 91-92 were as complete as ive ever seen.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 07-09-17 at 11:16 PM.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Chet Lemon theirs a name I haven't heard inawhile,the Royals won their WS pretty much on small ball,when they made the big comeback on the Astros they did it by just making timely hits,moving the chains and just chipping away.

Great Super teams,thats a good question,the Jays teams of 91-92 were as complete as ive ever seen.
    Royals won with speed, great defense, and the best bullpen since the Nasty Boys.
    In 2014-2015 Herrera to Davis to Holland was as good as it got.

As a Royals fan, and a baseball junkie 2015 postseason was the greatest baseball thrill of my life.
    I will take every memory of that post season to my grave.
    And it's not just that they won, it's who they beat that made it so sweet.
    The asshole Blue Jays, the arrogant Astros, when that ball skipped over Correa's glove I had a baseball orgasm.
    Then the cocky Mets, that was the cherry on the cake.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

If the deal is right quintana would be fine, but in this trade market for pitching im sure some dumb team will give up way to much for him.

packerd_00

Royals won with speed, great defense, and the best bullpen since the Nasty Boys.
    In 2014-2015 Herrera to Davis to Holland was as good as it got.

As a Royals fan, and a baseball junkie 2015 postseason was the greatest baseball thrill of my life.
    I will take every memory of that post season to my grave.
    And it's not just that they won, it's who they beat that made it so sweet.
    The asshole Blue Jays, the arrogant Astros, when that ball skipped over Correa's glove I had a baseball orgasm.
    Then the cocky Mets, that was the cherry on the cake.

Yeah true those three traits were all a big part of it,but without the clutch hitting and playing the small ball,you wouldn't have gotten past Houston,they had you down for the count and you managed to chip away with the small ball,clutch hitting,doing the little things,not trying to get all the runs back in one shot.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Wrong

Pitching win

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

McHugh logged 4 1/3 innings and built his pitch count up to 74 in his third rehab start with Class AA Corpus Christi on Monday night. He allowed three unearned runs on four hits and two walks while striking out four against Arkansas.

It seems likely McHugh will make at least one more rehab start, especially considering the Astros have already set their rotation through July 18. He has yet to pitch in the majors this season because of an elbow impingement he was diagnosed with in early April.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

In his weekly AL Notes column, Heyman reports that with few top starters left on the market, the Astros may instead pursue high-end bullpen help in an effort to shorten the game and load up the relief corps for the postseason. Unsurprisingly, their list of targets would include Zach Britton, if he’s available. (Most clubs in the league would perk up at the notion of acquiring a healthy Britton.)

KANSAS24
    KANSAS24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2187

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    WHY DONT SOMEONE TELL TEXAS THAT

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

I asked deGrom what goes through his head when he hears Houston really wants him: "That's a good baseball team," deGrom said.

Mike Puma

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Well. Top Astros prospect Kyle Tucker was pulled from a Corpus Christi Hooks game in the 4th inning. Time to watch the transactions wire.

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6001

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Well. Top Astros prospect Kyle Tucker was pulled from a Corpus Christi Hooks game in the 4th inning. Time to watch the transactions wire.
    Please no!! I was at the game yesterday.

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6001

BTW - The Astros have 6 .300 hitters in their lineup now. Springer-Altuve-Reddick-Correa-Gonzo-Gurriel

Unreal! They lost yesterday but left the bases loaded three times.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Forrest Whitley was originally scheduled to start, now Elieser Hernandez is starting. Could the Astros finally be making a big trade tonight?

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Astros bullpen is nowhere near good enough to win a world series with this young rotation. McCullers can't pitch on the road either - they need a reliable veternan starter.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Source w/ knowledge of Astros thinking said of a potential Darvish move: "It’s hard to see Jeff [Luhnow] paying a high price for a rental."

Mark Feinsand‏

CTOWNsCAPPIN
    Update your status
    CTOWNsCAPPIN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

I think Gray would be a great fit.

CTOWNsCAPPIN
    Update your status
    CTOWNsCAPPIN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

And I disagree with OP. You can never have enough quality arms especially come playoff time

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the underrated pitcher on the market is Lynn - solid and a veteran on a cheap contract - good guy to put in as a 3.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16000

^
    As a Royals fan let me be the first to tell you Johnny Cueto is a big time, big game pitcher.
    It's if he really doesn't give a shit about the regular season, give him the ball in prime time though, he's lights out.
    I love Johnny Cueto but I hope he gets traded by my Giants because they need to rebuild and he's the only pitcher besides Bumgarner that I think they can get quality prospects for. He does step up in the playoffs though and he'll help some team in the playoffs.