Machine Choice
    Machine Choice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2736

Baseball injuries annoy me

This shit pisses me off, when I'm trying to handicap a game and I look at the injury list and some star player is on the 10-day DL with a "tight hamstring" or "bruised thumb" or "abdominal tightness" or some shit like: "Cabrera left the last game with a pulled hamstring and his status for Friday is questionable."

If I'm the team owner and I'm paying your ass $12 million a year to play a 3-hour game once a day, I'd be damned if I'd accept you sitting out three or four games for "pulled hamstring." C'mon now, baseball is not that physical. I played three years of baseball in high school and never missed a single game with an injury, and never even missed practice unless I didn't feel like going. How are these guys able to justify these lame-ass "injuries." How do these injuries even happen???? The game is pretty simple and slow. This shit makes capping hard when players are sitting out games.

moshi
    moshi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3525

Works both ways. If you're paying someone $12 million a year, you'd rather sit them out a few games than take the of risk injuring them further and having to sit out even more games.

Also, comparing MLB to high school baseball? I respect your capping skills dude but

Machine Choice

Quote Originally Posted by moshi View Post
    Also, comparing MLB to high school baseball? I respect your capping skills dude but
    The game is played the same way regardless of level. Do they tackle in MLB? Is the ball harder in MLB? I read a stat once that said the ball is in play a total of 6.2 minutes in 3 hr MLB game, yet 1/4 of any MLB roster is "injured"

moshi
    moshi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3525

You don't play anywhere near the same number of games in high school.

Machine Choice

I wish I could tell my employer, "I have back cramps. My status for tomorrow's work day is questionable." He'd love that.

juicername
    Thomorino - Fade and Get Paid
    juicername's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3972

A pulled hamstring/sprained ankle would affect the player no matter who he is or position. Running, pitching, hitting, everything would get affected. Also the risk of aggravating the injury. You're talking out of your ass on this one.

garvardntl
    illegitimum non carborundum
    garvardntl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

These players are like racing horses. A large investment. Would you practice/race your 1$mln mare if a chance of winning today would mean a significant risk of him getting injured/reinjured and being unable to compete for weeks or months to come? And if he does get injured, you still spend thousands taking care of him...

Last I checked, you can't really shoot an old horse that you've signed for 50 mln/8 years.

Machine Choice

Quote Originally Posted by juicername View Post
    A pulled hamstring/sprained ankle would affect the player no matter who he is or position. Running, pitching, hitting, everything would get affected. Also the risk of aggravating the injury. You're talking out of your ass on this one.
    Oh, whatever dude....these guys get put on the injury report and fail to start the game. Then in the 9th inning when the game is on the line, suddenly they are in the batters box with a helmet on. So they obviously weren't that injured. "Abdominal strain" is my favorite pussy injury.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

I honestly don't care all that much about a individual player far as capping the game goes (outside pitcher).. Granted guy like miggy little more important than your average guy but still really don't make any difference to me., I remember last time he sat a few I bet tigers 1st game he sat and got that question right away, my answer "didn't know he was out and don't really care", won bet

Bet brewers Tuesday, 1st question " concern me guys are sitting", my answer "nope" won bet

I probably get that more than any other question when posting plays. Something along the lines "does it concern me or did I know guy so and so was not playing". I feel bad saying didn't know or care cause don't want anyone to get idea I'm not taking serious or on top of my shit, it just really doesn't matter to me for the most part.. that just me tho..

Machine Choice

@2dabank: I agree with you for the most part. The only reason I care is because if a big bat is out of the line up it might affect the O/U if it comes down to the wire. Like, if the total is 8.5 and the game is sitting on 8 in the ninth inning, I'd rather have Miggy in the game with RISP than his replacement.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Machine Choice View Post
    I wish I could tell my employer, "I have back cramps. My status for tomorrow's work day is questionable." He'd love that.
    If I made the GUARANTEED Money these dudes did I would take days off all the fukkin time, fuk my boss!! Lol. Sadly if I don't play I don't get paid so I take my ass to work and destroy shit every day, my job def more physically demanding than theirs! Lol