rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Monday 6/25 plays (Biggest play of the year)

4* Red Sox -124: Julian Tavarez certainly isn't a great pitcher, and his numbers for the year are rather ordinary: 5-4, 4.50 ERA, 1.34 WHIP. He's generally regarded as the No. 5 starter and the weak link on one of the best rotations in the league. However, over his last 7 starts, Tavarez has been nothing short of outstanding, and Boston's best pitcher not named Beckett. Over that span, Tavarez is 4-0 with a 3.06 ERA, including wins over arguably the two best offenses in baseball - the Yankees and Tigers. Furthermore, the Red Sox as a team are 6-1 in his last 7 starts, with the only loss coming to the premier pitcher in the league right now, Danny Haren.

Boston is playing some of their best ball of the season right now after sweeping the Giants and taking 2/3 from Atlanta and 2/3 from the Padres. Manny Ramirez has started to hit, raising his average from .268 at the beginning of June, to .300 for the first time all year. Coco Crisp is swinging the bat better than he has all year, compiling multiple hits in 3 of his last 5 games, while Ortiz, Youkilis and Pedroia have been relatively consistent all year.

Tavarez will be matched up against Jeff Weaver, coming off by far his best outing of the year, a complete game shutout against the Pirates. He's pitched fairly well in each of his last 3 starts (PITT, CHC, SD). I think this is a great spot to fade him, as it's simply a huge step-up in class from Pittsburgh's offense to Boston's. Now that interleague play is over, I expect the real Jeff Weaver to appear. He was roughed up in his first start of the year against the Red Sox, (2 IP, 7 R) and I think tomorrow night will be more of the same.

Other plays:

1* Nationals +173
    1* LAD/D'Backs U 8.5 -115
    1/2* Royals +250

My bad....messed up the title to the thread....should be 6/25.
    Last edited by rjt721; 06-24-07 at 10:35 PM.

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

I like boston too

good luck

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    My bad....messed up the title to the thread....should be 6/25.
    Fixed that for ya.

I'm passing on that game rjt. Good luck with your plays.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

It will be interesting to see if Tavarez stays in the rotation once the Red Sox acquire Buehrle.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    It will be interesting to see if Tavarez stays in the rotation once the Red Sox acquire Buehrle.
    I'm assuming Tavarez would be the one sent to the pen because he's likely to be more effective and a bigger asset in the bullpen than Wakefield.

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    Thanks looker.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

GL on your big play.

dodif
    dodif's Avatar Become A Pro!

bol

The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

Biggest play of the year? I don't think this is even in contention for best play on the card.

I admit Boston is an interesting pick here, I might play them myself, but if I do it will be on the RL, or 5-inning minus line.

But Seattle has a lively offense, and a good pen. If Weaver gets hit, Seattle could easily keep pace against Tavarez. If Tavarez throws well, Weaver could easily keep pace with him too. And Seattle has a good pen at home.

There may be a bit of value with Boston, but if there is any, there's probably more with the RL, since so much of the value comes from the expectation of Weaver getting crushed like he was before his last game.

I'm not saying I disagree that Boston is the right side, but I don't really think there's anything special about it.

Rusted Trombone
    Rusted Trombone's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hope the Red Sox do go after Buehrle ...that would put Jon Lester in a tough spot though since he was hoping to return in a week or so. Maybe they'll keep him at Triple A for the rest of the year and bring him up next year when they toss Curt Schilling to the free agent trash can.

I like your pick ... hoping the sox beat up on Weaver the same as last time. It would be pretty shitty to beat Peavy one night and lose to Weaver the next.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

There definitely in talks right now Buehrle. The reason the Red Sox are doing this is to prevent the Yankees from getting him IMO.

Now getting back to this Red Sox/M's game. I actually like the Boston in this game. Weaver has shown some signs of life after Seattle put the fear of god into him a month ago claiming "arm problems", however I'm still not sold on his performance being solid. Now I will be passing on this game altogether, but I feel the only way to bet this game is the Red Sox.

GL with your play rjt721

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Hey Dan, when you get the info on Mr.B, give me a heads up.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    There definitely in talks right now Buehrle. The reason the Red Sox are doing this is to prevent the Yankees from getting him IMO.
    The Yankees don't want or need him. The Red Sox don't need him either, not sure why they want him. Atlanta, NYM, Milwaukee all make a lot more sense.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

By the way, agree on the play rjt, though I won't be playing them, since I can't justify betting on the Red Sox lineup on the road even against the likes of Weaver.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    The Yankees don't want or need him. The Red Sox don't need him either, not sure why they want him. Atlanta, NYM, Milwaukee all make a lot more sense.
    Where's he gonna fit in Milwaukee? They just brought up Gallardo who's been looking like an all-star thus far. Once Capuano comes off the DL, they're going to have to make room for him by either reassigning Dave Bush or someone in the pen. There's no place for Buehrle in Milwaukee IMO. I could see the NYM or ATL though.