bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Giles agrees to remain with Padres

i guess the yankees will just have to keep on looking

Giles agrees to remain with Padres

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer
    November 30, 2005
    SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Right fielder Brian Giles reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday night to re-sign with his hometown San Diego Padres for $30 million over three years.

The deal is pending Giles' scheduled physical on Thursday morning and an announcement is expected later in the day, two baseball officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the contract hadn't been finalized yet.

One of the top outfielders on the free-agent market, Giles batted .301 with 15 homers and 83 RBIs last season, leading the NL West-champion Padres in several offensive categories. He drew a major league-best 119 walks and had a stellar .423 on-base percentage.

The two-time All-Star will earn $9 million per season from 2006-08, with a $9 million option for 2009 that could raise the value of the deal to $36 million over four years. The club has a $3 million buyout for 2009.

Late last week, it appeared that Giles would leave the Padres after the team rejected a proposal from his agent, Joe Bick.

Bick wouldn't confirm that Giles had agreed to a deal, but said he had spoken throughout the day with the Padres.

"It's been a pleasant surprise," Bick said Wednesday night. "I guess the Padres had a change of heart."

The New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays were among the other teams thought to be interested in Giles, who turns 35 on Jan. 21. He made $7 million each of the last two seasons.

Giles was obtained from the Pittsburgh Pirates on Aug. 26, 2003, for left-hander Oliver Perez and outfielder Jason Bay, the 2004 NL Rookie of the Year.

Giles had four huge seasons with the Pirates from 1999-02, hitting at least 35 homers each year and driving in more than 100 runs three times.

His power dropped off once he joined the Padres, in part because of the deep dimensions in right field at spacious Petco Park, which opened in 2004.

But he remained an effective offensive player and made up for his diminishing home runs with patience at the plate and RBI production.

Giles, who began his career with the Cleveland Indians, is the older brother of Atlanta Braves second baseman Marcus Giles.

The left-handed hitting outfielder was one of three top free agents who helped the Padres win the NL West with an 82-80 record last season before they were swept in the first round of the playoffs by the St. Louis Cardinals. The others are closer Trevor Hoffman and catcher Ramon Hernandez.

The Padres have offered Hoffman $10 million over two years. Hoffman is seeking between $25 million and $27 million for three years.

The Padres haven't expressed interest in keeping Hernandez.

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dammit! I was really hoping he'd come to New York. It sounds like we've got Farnsworth coming to setup Rivera, but we really need a centerfielder. I was hoping for Rowand or Giles, but I don't think Pierre is as bad as the Yanks think he is. Rumor is that Damon wants a 7 year deal and the Yanks would only offer him 3 years. Damon and Pierre are the only centerfielders left on the free agent market. If the Bombers can't make it happen with one of them, it's trade time. Maybe Vernon Wells, Carl Crawford, or Ichiro.

Its been a disappointing offseason so far for Yankee fans. We've watched Boston acquire a Yankee killer and one of the best young pitchers in the game along with a run producing, Gold Glove caliber 3rd basemen. What do we have to show for our offseason so far? Kyle Farnsworth and re-signing Hideki Matsui.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator7
    Its been a disappointing offseason so far for Yankee fans. We've watched Boston acquire a Yankee killer and one of the best young pitchers in the game along with a run producing, Gold Glove caliber 3rd basemen. What do we have to show for our offseason so far? Kyle Farnsworth and re-signing Hideki Matsui.
    Only a spoiled Yankee fan (like myself) would be upset about the Yankees getting Farnsworth (don't sell this short, he is absolutely dominant - another in the long line of pitchers who became fantastic after leaving the Cubs. I watched him pitch in Atlanta, and at times he is unhittable. He's sort of a head case though, reminds me of John Rocker in a way. Not the kind of guy who succeeds in New York. To be continued...) and Matsui, and the Rag Sox getting Beckett and Lowell (you offer kind words for a guy who couldn't get off the bench for a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year). I think we're ahead, especially if, as reported, M Ramirez doesn't coming back to Boston.

I would love to get Vernon Wells, but right now the Blue Jays are more in the buy mode than sell mode. Carl Crawford is an interesting possibility. I can't see Ichiro coming. But the man I most want is Pierre. Jeter needs to be the #2 hitter. He will do anything for the team, but I don't think he is totally comfortable as the leadoff man (If we get a medium-speed CF, I would like to see Cano leading off). With Pierre getting on in front of DJ, A-Rod, Shef, Matsui, and Giambi, this team could score 1,000 runs.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator7
    What do we have to show for our offseason so far? Kyle Farnsworth and re-signing Hideki Matsui.
    as a fan, your gonna hate Kyle Farnsworth. but, as a yankees fader your gonna love him

Senator7

Rumors are that Torre is seriously considering moving Jeter to centerfield, A-Rod to short, and the Yanks acquiring Nomar or Troy Glaus (who's being shopped by Arizona) to play third. Torre told the press that he thought it would be no problem for A-Rod or Jeter to move to centerfield because of how talented both of them are. He quickly backtracked on those remarks, but I've got friends in a few baseball front offices who say that's its very possible and that even though Torre backtracked, he was serious and he really meant it. They saw it as more of a slip than an off the cuff remark. Jeter, obviously, would be better out there since he's faster than A-Rod and plays with the ultimate all out attitude. I actually think that with some work, Jeter has the tools to be an incredible centerfielder, possibly even win a Gold Glove out there. Mickey Mantle and Robin Yount both made the swtich from shortstop to centerfield. There's no reason to think that Jeter couldn't do it.

The only decent centerfielder available is Pierre, who the Yanks don't seem to be interested in. Damon is in the twilight of his career and his agent wants a 7 year deal for a guy who should be satisfied with a 3 year deal. The Yanks have had trade talks for certain centerfielders (IE. Torii Hunter), but most of the trading partners wanted Robbie Cano or Chien Ming Wang, two guys the Yanks won't deal. Although I like Pierre more the Yankees do, moving Jeter to the outfield and bringing in Nomar or Glaus would be incredible. Can you imagine that lineup? Talk about leap frogging the Red Sox. I actually think there's more to this story than meets the eye. Remember, they talked to Furcal (a shortstop) about moving to centerfield. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they turned to their captain and he took up the challenge for the best interest of the team.

Senator7

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    Only a spoiled Yankee fan (like myself) would be upset about the Yankees getting Farnsworth (don't sell this short, he is absolutely dominant - another in the long line of pitchers who became fantastic after leaving the Cubs. I watched him pitch in Atlanta, and at times he is unhittable. He's sort of a head case though, reminds me of John Rocker in a way. Not the kind of guy who succeeds in New York.
    Apparently, this isn't a done deal. The Rangers are still in the running and the Braves might have shot their mouths off to ESPN a little prematurely. The Yanks lost Tom Gordon to the Phillies today, making it even more crucial that they sign Farnsworth.