Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Question

Is a pitcher's WHIP affected when they hit a batter? I'm embarassed to say I don't really know.

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Technically, it should be. WHIP is supposed to be a pitcher's On Base Average and an HBP is just like a BB or sacrifice in that it counts as a plate appearance but not an AB. That being said, I'm not certain if it's calculated in like it should be.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I don't think it is.....since the formula is walk x hits x innings pitched. Even so, hit batsmen would have very little influence on WHIP if it were counted (unless it was weighted more) since most pitchers hit around only a handful of batters all year.

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Well, I just learned something.....

HBP's are NOT included in the WHIP. I just went to mlb.com and got stats for BB, HBP, IP and Hits allowed on a sort. It computes correctly without the HBP stat. It does not compute correctly if you include the HBP.

Intuitively, that just doesn't make sense to me. However, I am glad Razz asked the question because I would have thought, for sure, that HBP's are included. Apparently not.

E

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like I said, it doesn't but it should. The purpose of WHIP was supposed to an On Base Average for pitchers. What is the difference really between a BB and an HBP?

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

For me, it would make more sense to include HBP and not include IBB. Whatever.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

What you guys are looking for is really BRIP -- base runners per inning pitched. I don't know anyone who lists it. Guessing that whoever came up with WHIP liked the cute acronym for walks + hits per inning pitched and didn't want to mess it up to include hit batters (WHHBPIP???).

You can find OB%, Slugging and OPS figures for pitchers at several sites.