Breadloser
    Big Bear
    Breadloser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    25 million a year for a streaky home run hitter that offers nothing else is not a fair deal.
    He wasn't getting anywhere near that kind of money anywhere else.
    He had 100 million on the table from Washington. Do I need to pull your news clippings for you?

He has one of the best arms you'll ever see. Ever.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Because Daniel Murphy is not in the line-up anymore and guys like Granderson and Wright are past their glory days.

Breadloser
    Big Bear

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    Because Daniel Murphy is not in the line-up anymore and guys like Granderson and Wright are past their glory days.
    Granderson isn't past anything. Wright is only there because he has a ton of money left.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7799

I don't know, it's just how sports work.

De'Andre Jordan gets paid a boatload to make emphatic putback dunks.

Cesepdes gets paid a boatload to hit home runs.

Flash sells and puts testicles and vaginas in seats

Breadloser
    Big Bear

Also, the 1st Cespedes trade cost the A's a real shot at a World Series. Let's not pretend they improved the club.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Time will tell
    Sports you get paid for past performance regardless of how overrated you are

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7799

Quote Originally Posted by Breadloser View Post
    Also, the 1st Cespedes trade cost the A's a real shot at a World Series. Let's not pretend they improved the club.
    Yes I started losing a lot of money on the A's after he was traded. I remember it well. They were on fire then went to shit

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 181

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Time will tell
    Sports you get paid for past performance regardless of how overrated you are
    Not sure how you can be overrated when the ink hasn't even dried yet and the season started this morning. But I guess what do I know, I am a Mets fan.

Breadloser
    Big Bear

Not overrated. Just overpaid. Especially if you're going to bench the best CF in the league. Time will tell whether or not it's worth it. The opt out clause should inspire numbers that are a bit above career avgs.

I also don't think it would've helped the Mets if they let him go to Washington. That might have put them over the top.
    Last edited by Breadloser; 04-04-16 at 12:11 AM.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    Not sure how you can be overrated when the ink hasn't even dried yet and the season started this morning. But I guess what do I know, I am a Mets fan.
    You're loyal to your team, loyalty is an admiral trait, but from where I sit he's not a 25 million dollar a year player.
    Not even close.

He's not Trout, he's not McCuthen, he's not Harper.
    While he may have cannon for an arm, he's not Dwight Evans or Roberto Clemente.
    Check out Sammy Sosa's arm when he was just starting out as a White Sox.
    Ever see Winfield's arm?

Breadloser
    Big Bear

You're loyal to your team, loyalty is an admiral trait, but from where I sit he's not a 25 million dollar a year player.
    Not even close.

He's not Trout, he's not McCuthen, he's not Harper.
    While he may have cannon for an arm, he's not Dwight Evans or Roberto Clemente.
    Check out Sammy Sosa's arm when he was just starting out as a White Sox.
    Ever see Winfield's arm?
    Cespedes absolutely has the best arm you'll see this season. There's no one better in the game right now.

Is CC Sabbathia a 25 million dollar player? That's what he made last seaon, and that's what he'll make this season. Arod too. The Yankees didn't even win their division last year. Why don't you go start a thread to complain about that.
    Last edited by Breadloser; 04-04-16 at 12:22 AM.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

I take Cespedes 30x and then twice on Sunday over Josh Hamilton's 25 million a year. Baseball as a whole pays these guys some unreal money. He looks like a Met and I'm an expert on matching faces to uniforms so that deserves 25 million alone. Drop was awful but imagine being a Canseco fan and watching that thing bop into the stands from his dome.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Guy will piss in a cup any day now and be suspended.

Contract is bullsh#$.

This guy is definitely not worth 25 million a year.

Tigers knew he wasn't worth it.... that's why they let him go.

If Cespedes breaks expectations..... I will personally get on camera..... and tell the world I'll suk his dik. And then post to SBR. Not kidding.

The guy is the luckiest man on earth. Got hot (for a very short period...) and forced a heavy contract.

Mets fans will be begging for management to get rid of him.... watch.

Breadloser
    Big Bear

If he gets suspended for steroids , the Mets management wont have to pay him anymore. Why would they or their fans care?

stevenash

Is CC Sabbathia a 25 million dollar player? That's what he made last seaon, and that's what he'll make this season. Arod too. The Yankees didn't even win their division last year. Why don't you go start a thread to complain about that.
    I didn't start this thread.
    I was against the A-Rod deal.
    Sabahia's contract is paid in full, he won 19, 21, and 19 games in back to back to back seasons.
    Check out what he dd in the 2009 post season.

What has Cespedes done in any post season.

You're up slick, your'e turn.

stevenash

Granderson isn't past anything. Wright is only there because he has a ton of money left.
    Granderson is a .250 hitter, whose 40 home run a season is five years removed, with a noodle arm for an outfielder that strikes out 150 times a more a year.

Breadloser
    Big Bear

I didn't start this thread.
    I was against the A-Rod deal.
    Sabahia's contract is paid in full, he won 19, 21, and 19 games in back to back to back seasons.
    Check out what he dd in the 2009 post season.

What has Cespedes done in any post season.

You're up slick, your'e turn.
    How is it paid in full if he's still collecting money? Your standards for 25 million a year seem to be pretty high. You've equated it to a Trout or a Harper level of sucess. By the way, none of those guys have approached free agency. You're old enough to reference Clemente, but in the all the time you spent watching baseball it seems you have no clue how free agency works. It's a bidding process.

Breadloser
    Big Bear

Granderson is a .250 hitter, whose 40 home run a season is five years removed, with a noodle arm for an outfielder that strikes out 150 times a more a year.
    Fine. What do you expect him to do for 10 million a year? He does a good job. You expect him to hit 40 homeruns at Citi Field. Put him back at Yankee Stadium and he might get there.

stevenash

How is it paid in full if he's still collecting money? Your standards for 25 million a year seem to be pretty high. You've equated it to a Trout or a Harper level of sucess. By the way, none of those guys have approached free agency. You're old enough to reference Clemente, but in the all the time you spent watching baseball it seems you have no clue how free agency works. It's a bidding process.
    It's paid in full based on what he's accomplished while under contract.
    Don't tell me on how free agency works, I know damn well how it works.

I equated throwing arms to Cespedes, nothing more. nothing less.

Your turn slick.

An idiot like Cespedes who has nothing to offer but a very good throwing arm, a streaky home run hitter, and pretty much nothing else is not worth 25 million per.

Don't tell me how free agency works, I can tell you everything you need to know about Curt Flood and the evolution of free agency.

Breadloser
    Big Bear

It's paid in full based on what he's accomplished while under contract.
    Don't tell me on how free agency works, I know damn well how it works.

I equated throwing arms to Cespedes, nothing more. nothing less.

Your turn slick.

An idiot like Cespedes who has nothing to offer but a very good throwing arm, a streaky home run hitter, and pretty much nothing else is not worth 25 million per.

Don't tell me how free agency works, I can tell you everything you need to know about Curt Flood and the evolution of free agency.
    He's an idiot? Do you know him on a personal level?

Like I posted originally, the Mets were forced to pay Cespedes to appease their moron fanbase, and to keep him away from Washington. Washington is where he would have signed had the Mets not made an offer. They made the smart decision.

The opt out clause keeps him motivated to play well this season, renegotiate and earn more money. It doesn't effect the teams long term plans as they don't have any major negotiations coming up before his name is off their payroll. Think of it like a budget surplus.

jeffchitown
    jeffchitown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2495

Are you a mets fan? Why do you care how much he is getting paid. I sure don't but then again I'm not a mets fan. I know the old cubs made deals like that all the time before the ricketts took over the club and hired theo. So i understand the frustration. If you are not a mets fan just be happy when teams make bad deals usually means they are giving up something for that deal.

Breadloser
    Big Bear

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchitown View Post
    Are you a mets fan? Why do you care how much he is getting paid. I sure don't but then again I'm not a mets fan. I know the old cubs made deals like that all the time before the ricketts took over the club and hired theo. So i understand the frustration. If you are not a mets fan just be happy when teams make bad deals usually means they are giving up something for that deal.
    I'll take Cespedes contract over Hayward. Not even close.

stevenash

^
    Mets should have let him walked, freeing up money to explore elsewhere.
    Nats problems isn't with outfield power

Breadloser
    Big Bear

What don't you get? He was 100 percent signing with Washington. He would've upgraded their lineup, made them a tougher opponent for the Mets in the NL East. That's the Mets goal, to win the NL East. That's what it's all about.

They tried to spend it elsewhere. Zobrist said no. They definitely don't need starting pitching. They have two good catchers, a good 1st basemen. Who else was on the market? Upton got more money, and he was brutal last year. Hayward was also grossly overpaid.

Breadloser
    Big Bear

They couldn't give the money to Murphy because he's God awful at 2nd, and Wright is best friends with the owners at 3rd. The middle infield is bad and Wright is also bad. They have Herrera, Rosario, and Cecchini moving through the system. I believe more in next year's team with a revitalized Wheeler then I do for this season.

stevenash

What don't you get? He was 100 percent signing with Washington. He would've upgraded their lineup, made them a tougher opponent for the Mets in the NL East. That's the Mets goal, to win the NL East. That's what it's all about.

They tried to spend it elsewhere. Zobrist said no. They definitely don't need starting pitching. They have two good catchers, a good 1st basemen. Who else was on the market??
    I'm tired, I need to go to bed, 75 million is too much to spend on Cespedes, I'll pick up on this later.

Peace dude.

Breadloser
    Big Bear

I'm tired, I need to go to bed, 75 million is too much to spend on Cespedes, I'll pick up on this later.

Peace dude.
    I throw the question back at you. You have a budget surplus. Spend the money, tell me where it's going. Answer it whenever you want.

There's a reason Francesa, who also doesn't like Cespedes, thought the Mets made the right deal this winter.

CTOWNsCAPPIN
    Update your status
    CTOWNsCAPPIN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

He's a hit or miss one dimensional player.
    Has a horrible OBA, .319 is laughable, plays a terrible defense in the outfield.
    Terrible base runner, 37 stolen bases, caught stealing 18 times is just laughable.
    Has shit for brains.
    There's a reason why he's been on four teams in four years.

CTOWNsCAPPIN
    Update your status

Got hot for 4 weeks, then once he got to the post season went 12 for 54 for the three series for a whopping .222 average, and made a fool of himself to boot.

Your'e turn.
    way way overrated. Watch this season how average the guy will be and the joke will be in the Mets.

CTOWNsCAPPIN
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Guy will piss in a cup any day now and be suspended.

Contract is bullsh#$.

This guy is definitely not worth 25 million a year.

Tigers knew he wasn't worth it.... that's why they let him go.

If Cespedes breaks expectations..... I will personally get on camera..... and tell the world I'll suk his dik. And then post to SBR. Not kidding.

The guy is the luckiest man on earth. Got hot (for a very short period...) and forced a heavy contract.

Mets fans will be begging for management to get rid of him.... watch.
    this

CTOWNsCAPPIN
    Update your status

Fine. What do you expect him to do for 10 million a year? He does a good job. You expect him to hit 40 homeruns at Citi Field. Put him back at Yankee Stadium and he might get there.
    You're kidding right?

Breadloser
    Big Bear

Quote Originally Posted by CTOWNsCAPPIN View Post
    You're kidding right?
    About what?

Brooklyn Dick
    Brooklyn Dick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22127

Cespedes came to the US via the Dominican Republic. He was in Santiago for quite awhile before he could
    get clearance to come to the US. A guy I know over here was lending him money to live on. Tens of thousands of dollars. All he wanted was the money he gave him when he would eventually sign a contract.

Guess what? When he went to the US this guy got the middle of a bagel. He never heard from him again.

A real piece of shit.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Let's give them a year and see how he does

Breadloser
    Big Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Dick View Post
    Cespedes came to the US via the Dominican Republic. He was in Santiago for quite awhile before he could
    get clearance to come to the US. A guy I know over here was lending him money to live on. Tens of thousands of dollars. All he wanted was the money he gave him when he would eventually sign a contract.

Guess what? When he went to the US this guy got the middle of a bagel. He never heard from him again.

A real piece of shit.
    You know a guy that lends tens of thousands of dollars? What made this guy take him at his word?

First 1234 Last