trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10359

Denard Span is Back, may be time to ride the Nats boyz

Tonight will tell us alot. Historically I've seen a completely different offense with him in their lineup. Also Werth and Rendon heating up. Might be time to ride 'em. Great chasing opportunity as well with Marlins coming into town for a weekend series. Add to it Strasburg has changed his mechanics and hiding the ball exceptionally. I like Nats 1st 5 Innings tonight as I'm not sold on the bullpen just yet.

FYI I'm not a Nats fan, actually Marlins.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: johnny99

trobin31

I laid off last night cause, well, I think we could all see the Pads dropping them last night given Gio's recent form and pads numbers agst lefties.

Different strokes tonight.

Nats hit the ball rather well last night but Upton's numbers against Gio Gonzalez and Doug Fister will be lucky if he sees anything but garbage time until he gets it together. Just made too many runs necessary against a good starter and decent bullpen, polished off by one of the best relievers around.

Young Ross was dealt away by the Padres, and, he is facing his brother's compadres as well. Not sure how, but I think that plays into the Nats hands situationally.

Nats stats are stellar against Cashner, who struggles significantly against Left handed batters on the road.... enter Denard Span and Bryce Harper. Tough to get through this lineup now with Rendon, Zimmerman and Escobar firing on all cylinders as well.

Joe Ross's stats at home vs right handed batters, which the Padres have are predominantly are righties: FIP 1.71, wOBA .201 which are some sick stats. He is young, but, only thrown 60 innings so far this year and he's pitched 100+ inning seasons twice in the minors.

Long story short....

Washington Nationals ML

JJJ
    JJJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 704

Denard Span???? lol average player

trobin31

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Denard Span???? lol average player
    You sir, are speaking from ignorance. I've followed this team for 7 years now trapped in DC. Denard Span is above avg leadoff guy who hardly strikeouts, great eye-takes pitches 90%other leadoff men would hack at, excellent baseruning, gold glove caliber center fielder. Basically the life blood of a team stacked with extra base hitters. Therefore, that makes you sir, well, let's just say ignorant. But hey, now you are better educated. Your welcome.

trobin31

Fyi, Span is not starting, but, Padres are running a minor league team out there tonight. hence all the under 7.5 being thrown around out there.

terrortwylight
    Get Action
    terrortwylight's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 756

Dude can't stay healthy!

Cuddyer is starting to get healthy finally. I'm about to pick his ass up on my fantasy team and ride him and the Mets through this offense streak.

Jowframs
    Jowframs's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6645

Time for a HUGE Nats Run

terrortwylight
    Get Action

Quote Originally Posted by Jowframs View Post
    Time for a HUGE Nats Run
    Yeah I hope so.

I traded Noah Syndergaard and Mark Trumbo for Gio Gonzalez and Josh Hamilton like a week before the All Star break thinking Gio would hit his stride and Noah would fizzle out once the Mets fell back to the earth. Jokes on me. Neither one happened.

Terps1993
    Terps1993's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34372

Time for a HUGE Nats Run
    Span back on the DL, Nationals 6.5 back, Mets have the easiest schedule in baseball in September. I don't see them winning the division, they're too far back.

Jowframs

They will be a DANGEROUS WildCard

Terps1993

Not making the wildcard

Terps1993

They will be a DANGEROUS WildCard
    Guess you havent checked the standings, they are miles behind the Pirates and Cubs. But they will enjoy watching the playoffs from the couch.

Jowframs

Didn't know the season was over??

JJJ
    JJJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 704

Span done for year he was a decent player years ago so was Tori hunter too average at best now

Terps1993

Didn't know the season was over??
    No its not over at all, but the Nationals are 9 games out of the wild card and 6.5 behind the Mets for the division. Gonna be a tough road to climb with just about 35 games remaining.

trobin31

So looks like a lineup we've never seen before from the Nats tonight. Bryce Harper starting in center field stands out. His arm is exceptional but I don't see him covering as much ground as Taylor or Span which could lead to problems against a slap happy Marlins lineup. On the other side this could galvanize the team in light of this recent tradjedy of losing Span and possibly Taylor long term. I'm not just gonna assume we see The Same Old Scherzer just because he skipped a spot in the rotation by one day. He hasn't been locating his fastball for a month now and has very little motion on that pitch. He is struggling to throw his slider for a strike to make matters worse. He is especially prone to lefties and the Marlins have their fair share of lefties. Nats haven't seen Conley yet so it may take a few trips to the plate for Nats to pick up his delivery. Personally I'm laying off this game tonight but if I had to make a play I roll with Marlins +1.5 +110. Alternatively, gotta think there is 1% chance for Nats to be swept this series so a chase with the Nats over the weekend is a decent idea as well.

trobin31

Actually have Nats moneyline as my pod today as I feel there will be a heightened sense of urgency with this one to have a chance to win this series. Nats have won three straight series, albeit aginst subpar teams but they have taken them nonetheless. Zimmerman has had his worst season in recent memory, especially losing his last two in terrible form. I think tonight he limits the marlins from scoring 3 or less runs given his ability to pitch lights out at home and a rather decent track record against these marlins batters. As for the Nats offense, they really hadnt seen Conley before as i mentioned yesterday in my reasoning to back the Marlins on the runline. Different story with Tom Koehler today however. Bryce Harper in particular has absolutely raped Koehler and the rest of the Nats are in good form at the plate, esp Werth, Rendon and Zimmerman. I like the Nats to post up over 5 runs today so backing the Nats with confidence today.

Jowframs

Good luck
    Iam baffled by the way they are playin

Barnes & Whine
    Punch through the media!
    Barnes & Whine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Nats just plain suck. Get over it.

Barnes & Whine
    Punch through the media!
    Barnes & Whine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

I wouldn't take them at 100-1 to win the world series. They're horrible.

terrortwylight
    Get Action

Quote Originally Posted by trobin31 View Post
    Actually have Nats moneyline as my pod today as I feel there will be a heightened sense of urgency with this one to have a chance to win this series. Nats have won three straight series, albeit aginst subpar teams but they have taken them nonetheless. Zimmerman has had his worst season in recent memory, especially losing his last two in terrible form. I think tonight he limits the marlins from scoring 3 or less runs given his ability to pitch lights out at home and a rather decent track record against these marlins batters. As for the Nats offense, they really hadnt seen Conley before as i mentioned yesterday in my reasoning to back the Marlins on the runline. Different story with Tom Koehler today however. Bryce Harper in particular has absolutely raped Koehler and the rest of the Nats are in good form at the plate, esp Werth, Rendon and Zimmerman. I like the Nats to post up over 5 runs today so backing the Nats with confidence today.
    Are you a homer?

It's cool if you are, but I think in fairness you should disclose it. I'm a Tigers homer.

trobin31

Quote Originally Posted by terrortwylight View Post
    Are you a homer?

It's cool if you are, but I think in fairness you should disclose it. I'm a Tigers homer.
    See post #1 where i clearly state:

Not a Nats fan. Marlins. I even told you to bet on the Marlins yesterday

I am born and raised in ft lauderdale florida.

Just trying to make you guys some money. If you listened you are winning. If you prefer to chat bullshit there are tons of threads out there and ppl tend to love those more anyway. I know baseball and I know this team. I could give two shits if they win or lose as long as I'm on the right side.

trobin31

That couldn't have played out any more exactly as i said it would yesterday as Nats score 5 and hold marlins to 1 run.

As far as today I will just say this. I've seen Strasburg pitch since his phenomenal first outing against the Pirates with 14 ko's. I have gone stretches of 7 starts in which I've faded him each season including this one. Since he returned from the DL back in July I can tell you this guy has revamped his delivery and I predict we won't see anymore implosions as before. I have said before on prior threads that he is basically not flying open any longer and hiding the ball much better as result. For a guy who throws 95+ mph on every fastball this makes it incredibly difficult for hitters to pick up even if he doesn't locate it exactly where he wants. We all know his curveball and slider matchup with the best of them and this makes those pitches even more effective as well. I'll just throw some stats and you can decide on a play for this game. Nats are 19-2 Strasburg 's last 21 starts on Sunday. Nats have won 3 straight series and need this rubber match today to make 4 series wins. I don't have the stats in front of me but I'd be willing to bet the over has won more than 60% during day games at nats park, as long as somebody named kershaw, Grienke or scherzer wasn't pitching. On the other side Brad Hand going and I am amazed how much he has improved. I've been to a game and watched him give up 10 runs in an inning before. This year he locates the fastball and changes speeds much better. Nats have seen him before so should get their share of runs. The umpire Scott is trending overs. I think Nats -1 or F5 are reasonable here. Weather is bit overcast here today so I'd lay off the total for now. If it clears up over also a good play.
    Last edited by trobin31; 08-30-15 at 10:30 AM.

trobin31

Well if you followed my lead on these nats plays you are 5-0 thus far.

I'll keep this as simple as just going with chase fading the Nats this series. I'll lay the juice with Cards +1.5 each game.

trobin31

Now 6-0 this thread and my game plan is basically same as series against Marlins last weekend. Gonna chase Nats win this series assuming they take at least 1 out of 4. Braves are in horrible form so seems like the right thing to do here. Some of the pitching matchups are actually tough against Tehran, then Shelby miller so should see better lines in future games if chasing is necessary.

trobin31

7-0 thus far

Tonight we have Tanner Roark who would otherwise be a doggie if the Nats bats weren't on fire while the braves are cold. Tanner Roark is essentially a middle or long reliever who might be able to hold the braves to 3 runs on a great day. After seeing Zimmerman yesterday the ball should seem a little larger today so recommending
    Braves tto3.5 might be a stretch with the way braves are hitting right now but only reasonable play I see. Over 8 worth a look as well.

trobin31

7-1 thus far

Liking the Nats in the upcoming series against the Mets. Several reasons to include

1) Mets in the middle of a long road trip
    2) Nats are chasing Mets
    3) Nats were embarassed on Sunday night baseball last they played.
    4) currently best offensive stretch by Nats all year
    5) Werth, Rendon, and Zimmerman are consistent bats now after struggling initially off the DL
    6)pitching matchups: Niese vs Sherzer, ???? Vs Zimmerman, Degrom vs Strasburg

Sherzer is actually my one concern, very shaky command of all his pitches lately. Falling behind, leaving fastballs over the plate. Still, I think he will keep more runs off the board against a struggling Jon Niese who will be facing a hot, stacked lineup.

Harvey was slated to pitch agst Zimmerman, I guess we'll see who starts in his place.

I've said it before, Degrom has pitched more innings than his whole career this season. Strasburg quietly having one of best 2nd halfs

Nats likely to be heavy favorites and Mets very public dogs here.