AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

two things bug me in baseball

1) The sacrafice fly balls eliminate to many runs, I understand the logic get some on the board but I feel in many occasions the team doing it is short changing themselves and they end up losing the game anyway. I could see doing it in the final inning.

2) Once the starter is finished or as the coach see's him to be finished all the so-called releivers come in and they give up 2 to 3 times the amount of runs in 3 innings than the starter did in the first six.

I have been on the wrong side of this all to many times these past couple weeks.

Where can I get the info for each game that shows
    1) batting order for the days game
    2) starting pitcher and who is to follow so and so forth down the line.

I guess not knowingly I have been betting blindly and it has been costing me some of what I have accumulated in NHL and NBA which are now coming to a close. So if I don't get this straight now I will be royally fvcked.

any and all info is appreciated.

thanks in advance

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Only the manager knows who will pitch after the starter is removed and it typically depends on the situation...

AC1318

Quote Originally Posted by Senator7 View Post
    Only the manager knows who will pitch after the starter is removed and it typically depends on the situation...
    I guess that takes care of that.

bullpen is probably the strongest part in making a decision followed by hitting, yes/no

thanks for the response, never really wagered much baseball, always football.

by the way like the gif, more cow bell
    Last edited by AC1318; 05-17-07 at 07:35 PM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

sbrodds will give you the breakdowns you are looking for. Also, you can get your starting lineups on either Yahoo, usatoday, or MLB.COM about 1 hour before gametime everyday.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you're concerned about the bullpen just check their numbers as a whole. Or you can look at a money pitchers angle; how many units a starting pitcher is up or down in all his starts (which includes the bullpen in the results for each starting pitcher).

AC1318

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    If you're concerned about the bullpen just check their numbers as a whole. Or you can look at a money pitchers angle; how many units a starting pitcher is up or down in all his starts (which includes the bullpen in the results for each starting pitcher).
    what's the money pitchers angle??

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its how many units a starting pitcher would have made you if you bet on him all season.

http://www.statfox.com/mlb/mlbteam~t...eason~2007.htm

Just something to play with. For instance, take a pitcher who is up more than 1 unit versus a pitcher who is down more than 1 unit (or any parameter). This has several advantages, such as including bullpen support and leveraging the big name pitchers against their money value.

The statfox link gives an example. Later in the season it would be better to have stats for L5 or L10 starts, instead of accumulating all data from the season.

AC1318

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Its how many units a starting pitcher would have made you if you bet on him all season.

http://www.statfox.com/mlb/mlbteam~t...eason~2007.htm

Just something to play with. For instance, take a pitcher who is up more than 1 unit versus a pitcher who is down more than 1 unit (or any parameter). This has several advantages, such as including bullpen support and leveraging the big name pitchers against their money value.

The statfox link gives an example. Later in the season it would be better to have stats for L5 or L10 starts, instead of accumulating all data from the season.
    Appreciate pointing me in the right direction DH, there is ton of info on that stat fox page, thanks again.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

One thing I don't understand regarding relievers is why managers feel the need to go to a "closer" for the final inning. Yesterday in the Cubs game we had a middle reliever who came in and got five outs, four on strikeouts, in the 7th and 8th innings. Why not just leave him in there for the final inning?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

It's hard to get out someone twice in the same game if you are a middle reliever. You want your relievers to face the opponents only once because their pitches are limited. If they could through various pitches and speeds good they would have been starters.

AC1318

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    One thing I don't understand regarding relievers is why managers feel the need to go to a "closer" for the final inning. Yesterday in the Cubs game we had a middle reliever who came in and got five outs, four on strikeouts, in the 7th and 8th innings. Why not just leave him in there for the final inning?
    I understand what pavyracer is saying but I am with crackerjack IF it isn't broken don't fix it, I am sure the middle pitcher would have been fine to close out yesterdays game.