playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

Pretty strange stat today that sort of explains my Houston Astros season this year!

First of all, I am excited that they are still in first, but boy can they be painful to watch at times.

They lead the majors in Home Runs! Really cool but they also strikeout more than what seems the entire major leagues.

Look at todays stats.

8 runs, 2 homeruns, 13 hits and 17 strikeouts!!!

How many times do you see the number of strikeouts greater than the amount of hits in a 4 run win???????

kosmos4
    kosmos4's Avatar Become A Pro!

They should address that issue otherwise they wont be sniffing the world series. Leaning on hrs and offense can only get you so far *cough*toronto*cough*

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

They get you with that one big inning. They can be quiet for 7-8 innings and then kill you with that big 4-5 run rally. It works as long as you have the starting pitching to keep you in the games where you don't have that big rally. I' m afraid they are going to fizzle in September when they have to shut McCullers and Vasquez down because of innings worked issues.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13086

Quote Originally Posted by playersonly69 View Post
    First of all, I am excited that they are still in first, but boy can they be painful to watch at times.

They lead the majors in Home Runs! Really cool but they also strikeout more than what seems the entire major leagues.

Look at todays stats.

How many times do you see the number of strikeouts greater than the amount of hits in a 4 run win???????
    Well, in their defense, Colorado struck out like 14 times. I remember the annoucer commenting in the eight inning, it was like 8-4 and the guys says there are 28 strike outs in the game, WOW.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Besides, I would rather see their power hitters strike out, rather than hit into the dreaded double play. LOL.

terrortwylight
    Get Action
    terrortwylight's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 756

Quote Originally Posted by playersonly69 View Post

Look at todays stats.

I think you'll find this interesting

http://espn.go.com/mlb/beanecount

posey
    posey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1250

I think the Astros are profiting from something which was called 'cluster luck' in the book Trading Bases. It's possible that they can keep up their performances, but it's rather unlikely IMO.

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16732

They were swept by the whitesox, i cant take them seriously

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by actiondan View Post
    They were swept by the whitesox, i cant take them seriously
    Yeah, tough to jump on the bandwagon, I know. They are an up and coming team. A few more pieces and they will be there. SI had them last year, winning it all in 2017, sounds about right.

terrortwylight
    Get Action
    terrortwylight's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 756

I love Houston right now. You look at all the young talent on that team and it's scary. They're like the Royals, abysmal for several years but finally turning the corner.