Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Any updates on this woman that got hit in the head with a broken bat at Fenway?

Some websites said she had life threatening injuries.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

scary

I hope she is ok

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

You have to be full alert when sitting on these high danger seats. No texting or reading. Keep your eyes on the batter and be ready to duck.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Lawyers at the ready

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    Lawyers at the ready
    not much they can do, especially if she wasn't paying attention

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14368

Horrible

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    not much they can do, especially if she wasn't paying attention
    You really think that matters?

People have the right to watch a game without having to worry about being fatally injured because the organisation failed in their duty of care to protect their fans...

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Another woman getting hurt at a game. They're not paying attention.

Vegas39

People have the right to watch a game without having to worry about being fatally injured because the organisation failed in their duty of care to protect their fans...
    Not sure fenway but know many parks do warn people to pay attention for such things. Then again wouldn't shock me IF a lawsuit but doubt anything comes of it.

Tragic and hope she pulls through

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Hope she pulls thru

good article relating to this

mentions 1,750 injuries from foul balls to fans

more than actual batters getting hit by pitches in a season

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...50-fans-a-year
    Points Awarded:

Vegas39 gave Chi_archie 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Lethal....what the fukk is your obsession with American issues?

There's nets up to protect from foul balls. Kind of hard to protect someone from a shard of wood flying thru the air. If you ever come to an MLB game, read your ticket stub regarding assumed risk.

Now go spend your energy worrying about fukkin kangaroos and funnel spiders or whatever the fukk y'all do over there. We got this.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: retard, El Nino, and Ra77er

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

The kids are what get me though

Kermit

I remember a few years ago someone from the Phillies(I think) hit a foul ball line drive and hit a little kid in the head and the kid was all fukked up and lawfully there was nothing the family could do because of some kind of risk that they knew they were taking by attending the game. I'll have to look up the facts on it.

uvarunthetable
    uvarunthetable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3474

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post

There's nets up to protect from foul balls. Kind of hard to protect someone from a shard of wood flying thru the air. If you ever come to an MLB game, read your ticket stub regarding assumed risk.

Now go spend your energy worrying about fukkin kangaroos and funnel spiders or whatever the fukk y'all do over there. We got this.
    Most of what is on a ticket stub is not enforceable in a court, just FYI

jjgold

I'm sure Boston's covered insurance wise and of course you know they're going to pay all her medical expenses plus more money it'll be an out-of-court settlement actually probably get season tickets to

Let's hope she is okay

Kermit

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I'm sure Boston's covered insurance wise and of course you know they're going to pay all her medical expenses plus more money it'll be an out-of-court settlement actually probably get season tickets to

Let's hope she is okay
    I think they are protected from lawsuits under something called "Assumption of Risk"

In this crazy world where people sue each other over the dumbest shit, here is a situation that seems like a given, but apparently is not.

RITZ
    RITZ's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12521

Quote Originally Posted by uvarunthetable View Post
    Most of what is on a ticket stub is not enforceable in a court, just FYI
    Incorrect sir, it has been found in many state supreme court case decisions that MLB teams are protected by the disclaimer that is printed on each ticket and acceptance is via your purchase of the ticket and its conditions. Though the MLB team may look to do what is right and pay medical bills, claims for compensatory damages are unlikely as they can stand on the assumption of risk for all ticket buyers as an inherent risk that is assumed by the buyer.
    Yes attorneys can argue this and push for damages, however they have a huge mountain to climb to overcome the disclaimers.
    Then again the Red Sox may want to do the right thing here as a PR move to not appear to be heavy handed and or insensitive.

uvarunthetable
    uvarunthetable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3474

Quote Originally Posted by RITZ View Post
    Incorrect sir, it has been found in many state supreme court case decisions that MLB teams are protected by the disclaimer that is printed on each ticket and acceptance is via your purchase of the ticket and its conditions. Though the MLB team may look to do what is right and pay medical bills, claims for compensatory damages are unlikely as they can stand on the assumption of risk for all ticket buyers as an inherent risk that is assumed by the buyer.
    Yes attorneys can argue this and push for damages, however they have a huge mountain to climb to overcome the disclaimers.
    Then again the Red Sox may want to do the right thing here as a PR move to not appear to be heavy handed and or insensitive.
    Some states have enshrined very restrictive laws on their books (mainly due to the lobbying of MLB teams) but the fact that the ticket has the disclaimer has next to nothing to do with how a court is going to look at the case

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I think they are protected from lawsuits under something called "Assumption of Risk"

In this crazy world where people sue each other over the dumbest shit, here is a situation that seems like a given, but apparently is not.
    Boston will take care of her

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Boston will take care of her

Yeah the hospital was told, if the woman's brain swelling got out of control the would send the patriots clubhouse ball boy "the deflator"

physed
    physed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 391

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Yeah the hospital was told, if the woman's brain swelling got out of control the would send the patriots clubhouse ball boy "the deflator"
    Not funny

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Assumed risk, there are nets up, ushers won't allow you to walk to your seat during the action, there are warnings at the beginning of the game...what do people want, the teams to pass out helmets and eye protection? 99% of these injuries can be avoided by paying attention. I was at a Dbacks game and a foul ball heads towards me on the third base line. It lands a section over from me and hits this fat lady who wasn't looking in the arm. I laughed at her.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Assumed risk, there are nets up, ushers won't allow you to walk to your seat during the action, there are warnings at the beginning of the game...what do people want, the teams to pass out helmets and eye protection? 99% of these injuries can be avoided by paying attention. I was at a Dbacks game and a foul ball heads towards me on the third base line. It lands a section over from me and hits this fat lady who wasn't looking in the arm. I laughed at her.
    something similar happened to me at a pirates game, lady wasnt paying attention drills her arm, biggest bruise i ever saw

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    something similar happened to me at a pirates game, lady wasnt paying attention drills her arm, biggest bruise i ever saw
    Yeah, I'm sure this lady was getting a solid bruise. It was a high fly ball so no real danger. Crowd services gave her an ice pack. This guy was asking how people could laugh at her. I said, a.) She wasn't injured b.) She needs to pay attention. Literally everyone in our section stood up at the prospect of snagging a foul ball. She was too stupid/lazy to be paying attention. Darwinism. Not sure the details of this Fenway chick, but a human's natural survival instinct is to put your hands up to protect your face/head.

Kermit

A foul ball is one thing, but a broken bat flying like a helicopter blade into the stands is a little harder to protect yourself from.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Not good.

I don't know the exact scenario and haven't seen a video that shows it happening BUT...

The medics, who see this stuff all the time and worse, actually chose to bypass putting her on the backboard and treat her for c-spine injury precautions

Tells me they wanted to get the fukk outta dodge and get her to and ER

I doubt she has a spinal injury but that's drilled into medics from day 1, put everyone on a backboard and in a c-collar if any head trauma at all. All about the CYA

They seemed to be humping it to the ambulance as well. Most medics that work these events are seasoned medics and these are considered cush gigs, they don't often get in a hurry

xKMACKx
    xKMACKx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8449

There have been instances of families getting cash settlements despite what is printed on tickets. In Columbus for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brittanie_Cecil

I'm sure a lawyer is out there thinking of how there should be netting placed all around the 1st and 3rd base-line at the moment.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Pretty soon there will be plexiglass around the entire field. It'll be like visiting the zoo

jjgold

There is no info on the woman still ??

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post

Haha yeah because baseball is only played in the states dopie...

Been to plenty of games here and most grounds have 1st and 3rd base netted, something if you lot did would have saved this lady from serious injury...

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Pretty soon there will be plexiglass around the entire field. It'll be like visiting the zoo

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

It's all about economics. If they put nets in front of the $100-$200 seats their value will plummet. Then the team will lose money and they could not sign big names. Remember..MLB is a sport but above all is a for profit business.

12 Last