BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Why do managers stick with relievers that blow?

Allen for the Indians came in in he 9th up 3-0. He can't get anyone out but they're going to leave him in until he loses the game.

Pull his ass. Why have the mentality that it's his game to lose now. Don't give him the opportunity to lose it.

6 straight have gotten on.

Pikachu
    Pikachu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4851

Man can't believe I lost this game.

BigDofBA

Another base hit. Ball game. 5 consecutive hits after the Whote Sox went 8 innings without scoring.

Addison Rees did this a few days ago but the Dbags manager had the sense to pull him and they ended up winning in extras.

Why leave a guy in that can't get anyone out?

NardVa
    NardVa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10509

Indians had no business losing the game..not sure how some of these managers and players still get a check for baseball...

BigDofBA

He couldn't get anyone out yet they just left him in there to lose it.

Dumbasses

Jerm3085
    Jerm3085's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6143

Yeah that sht had me heated. Manager had to get a bribe call in the dugout, no other explanation for that dumb azz bullsht. Cost Bauer the win too, I'll have to stick to Indians in first 5 inn from now on when he's pitching crooked azz staff for Indians obviously

JMUplayer
    Update your status
    JMUplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21752

Managers making millions of dollars or a guy on a message board..... chuckles

surfpunk17
    surfpunk17's Avatar Become A Pro!

I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD THIS!!!! It makes absolutely no sense to stick with a guy when he doesn't have it. A lot of managers have the mentality that they're handing it to their closer to win or lose. I get it if your handing it Mariano, but not Chris Allen.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by surfpunk17 View Post
    I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD THIS!!!! It makes absolutely no sense to stick with a guy when he doesn't have it. A lot of managers have the mentality that they're handing it to their closer to win or lose. I get it if your handing it Mariano, but not Chris Allen.
    Exactly my point. After 5 straight reached base you knew it ws a matter of time before he lost the game.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13182

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    Allen for the Indians came in in he 9th up 3-0. He can't get anyone out but they're going to leave him in until he loses the game.

Pull his ass. Why have the mentality that it's his game to lose now. Don't give him the opportunity to lose it.

6 straight have gotten on.
    He must have been trained by Jim Leyland. LOL. Sucks, I had Cleveland to win.

CTOWNsCAPPIN
    Update your status
    CTOWNsCAPPIN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

They're a closer for a reason but he might not be one for long. Pulling your closer in the ninth shows him you have no confidence in him. Mangers show no confidence by removing them from the role, not pulling them in the ninth when it's their job to close out the game. It's just the way it goes and yes I had the Indians as well.

CTOWNsCAPPIN
    Update your status
    CTOWNsCAPPIN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

Shaw may be in that role before long

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Because there are 162 games and they don't have must win mentalities to win games until they feel the games matter. In their mind the pitcher its more beneficial for the pitcher to be able to work out of jams, pulling him will hurt his psyche more, which tells you this is a very dicey sport to be betting on every day, gotta be very picky and hedge sometimes.

wilburz
    wilburz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Because there are 162 games and they don't have must win mentalities to win games until they feel the games matter. In their mind the pitcher its more beneficial for the pitcher to be able to work out of jams, pulling him will hurt his psyche more, which tells you this is a very dicey sport to be betting on every day, gotta be very picky and hedge sometimes.

Exactly, when it is early in the season, and you bring in your closer, it is hard to pull him since he is suppose to be your best option. It is so frustrating. I hate when managers bring in terrible RP in 1 run ball games

Pushbet
    Pushbet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Tribe has pitiful closers. Always taking FF for them instead of the game would have saved me some money long-term.

BigDofBA

I hear you. I was trying to explain that mentality earlier in this thread...

To plays devil advocate, doesn't it destroy the closer's confidence more if he just keeps getting his shit ripped and loses the game?

Addison Reed did this and the Dbags pulled his ass after the Giants tied it and had bases loaded with one out. Dbacks ended up getting out of the jam and winning the game. Had they left Reed in they would have lost guaranteed. Now Rees has rebounded and pitched better.

incognitoh
    incognitoh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4202

Yep that was total BS...cost me about $100 but worse it cost me an opportunity to win$1,100 through some parlays...

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    I hear you. I was trying to explain that mentality earlier in this thread...

To plays devil advocate, doesn't it destroy the closer's confidence more if he just keeps getting his shit ripped and loses the game?

Addison Reed did this and the Dbags pulled his ass after the Giants tied it and had bases loaded with one out. Dbacks ended up getting out of the jam and winning the game. Had they left Reed in they would have lost guaranteed. Now Rees has rebounded and pitched better.
    Thing is, in a pretty much meaningless April game, if you yank him he's no doubt going to be in the situation again and the fear of being yanked will probably not allow him to have his head in the right place and more than likely pitch even worse, Im sure there are guys whove never really recovered from being yanked in those situations, funny I was hearing that scraggly voiced guy on the radio the other night talking about this same thing. No doubt it sucks for the gambler, I used to see Girardi yank set up guys pretty early, which is why I liked him, but thinking back I cant remember which months it was to see if the games really mattered. Im usually betting live so Im always just kinda looking for value that way, I dont follow it close enough to bet pregame.

surfpunk17
    surfpunk17's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thing is, in a pretty much meaningless April game, if you yank him he's no doubt going to be in the situation again and the fear of being yanked will probably not allow him to have his head in the right place and more than likely pitch even worse, Im sure there are guys whove never really recovered from being yanked in those situations, funny I was hearing that scraggly voiced guy on the radio the other night talking about this same thing. No doubt it sucks for the gambler, I used to see Girardi yank set up guys pretty early, which is why I liked him, but thinking back I cant remember which months it was to see if the games really mattered. Im usually betting live so Im always just kinda looking for value that way, I dont follow it close enough to bet pregame.
    I get what you're saying, and you're right. When you have a 162 game season, its impossible to manage every game in a way that gives your team the best possible chance to win. That being said, I completely disagree with Francona's decision to leave him out there. He CLEARLY did not have it that night. In Cody Allen's defense, everyone has off days. I just don't understand how leaving him out there to struggle is supposed to help his confidence. I get it if Francona was trying to teach him a lesson, but in that case he's walking a fine line.

This is major league baseball. Managers aren't paid to teach lessons, they're paid to win games.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by surfpunk17 View Post
    I get what you're saying, and you're right. When you have a 162 game season, its impossible to manage every game in a way that gives your team the best possible chance to win. That being said, I completely disagree with Francona's decision to leave him out there. He CLEARLY did not have it that night. In Cody Allen's defense, everyone has off days. I just don't understand how leaving him out there to struggle is supposed to help his confidence. I get it if Francona was trying to teach him a lesson, but in that case he's walking a fine line.

This is major league baseball. Managers aren't paid to teach lessons, they're paid to win games.
    You guys may be right though I didnt catch any of that game.